Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-14, 06:24 PM  
Topaz

This is one of my favorite yoga workouts - ignore the part that says it focuses on weight loss.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Condition.../dp/B00004TKIC
Old 03-08-14, 08:40 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
But since I'm not really a yoga person, can you give me some recs for beginners? Has anyone done barre workouts? I detest the slow moving workouts and dreadful soothing music....I guess that's why I don't click with these sort of workouts. But I would like to possibly try just one to see if it makes a difference.
I have never clicked with yoga (or pilates) either, although I am kind of intrigued by DDP Yoga (there are threads here about it; it's a system of therapeutic yoga, originally designed by a former pro-wrestler named Diamond Dallas Page to address his own injuries).

Like you, I really struggled with getting into the "slow workout" groove, but I love barre!! It's definitely intense enough for the intensity junkie in me, but unlike pilates, the moves are actually *doable* by a total beginner. You don't have to be strong and flexible enough to do all the moves before you even start, if you know what I mean! My favorite barre was my first--Xtend Barre "Lean & Chiseled," but if I were looking for something rehabilitative, I'd probably start with Bar Method. Burr Leonard is definitely a soothing, gentle presence who will not stress you out (although you may well swear at her while you're doing the workout!).
Old 03-08-14, 08:51 PM  
pollytc

I believe XTend Barre Lean and Chiseled might be the one I have still shrink wrapped! I couldn't think of the name earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I have never clicked with yoga (or pilates) either, although I am kind of intrigued by DDP Yoga (there are threads here about it; it's a system of therapeutic yoga, originally designed by a former pro-wrestler named Diamond Dallas Page to address his own injuries).

Like you, I really struggled with getting into the "slow workout" groove, but I love barre!! It's definitely intense enough for the intensity junkie in me, but unlike pilates, the moves are actually *doable* by a total beginner. You don't have to be strong and flexible enough to do all the moves before you even start, if you know what I mean! My favorite barre was my first--Xtend Barre "Lean & Chiseled," but if I were looking for something rehabilitative, I'd probably start with Bar Method. Burr Leonard is definitely a soothing, gentle presence who will not stress you out (although you may well swear at her while you're doing the workout!).
Old 03-08-14, 09:11 PM  
boukilisa

To the OP: If you find yoga boring you might want to consider a live class. (Given your limitations maybe a gentle yoga flow or a chair yoga class.)

I didn't "get" yoga and found it boring too until I had the opportunity to accompany a friend to my first live class. It changed everything because there's a lot more focus on breath, mindfulness, holding poses, letting go of stress and paying attention to your body than can come across on video, IMO.

It also helped to have an instructor who could see me and correct any serious postural issues I had. I don't have Fibro or RA but I do deal with other pain issues. When I leave live yoga class my pain and stress are a lot better managed.

Good luck with finding what's right for you.
Old 03-08-14, 09:53 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

pollytc - Sending you (((hugs))). I don't have any experience with fibro or an auto immune disorder so can't speak to that. The only advice I would give is experiment a little and find something you love to do. It will get the endorphins going and that is bound to feel good!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 09:04 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

pollytc, I don't have the same issue as you, but I do have Lupus, which is an autoimmune disorder. Adding Classical Stretch regularly (I don't an episode 3 - 5 times a week) and the right nutrition has done wonders for me. My doctor has told me at my last 2 appointments that the one thing I'm still missing is a stress management technique.

I didn't expect to like CS, but the episodes are only 23 minutes and I feel wonderful afterward. Disclaimer: I really love yoga. I'm not a fan of pure Pilates either, though. I like fusion.

I hope you find something that works for you.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 02:02 PM  
videofit

I have several autoimmune diseases. If you have one, you are at risk for others. Only a DNA test would show which ones. Too bad 23andme.com isn't allowed to test for health risk any more until the FDA approves. They clearly showed up in my DNA but only one causes problems -- Hashimoto's. The others are mild but I think that's due to my reasonably healthy lifestyle. I'm pretty sure fibromyalgia can be controlled by lifestyle changes but you'd have to google.

I prefer Margaret Richard's light weight/hi rep and brisk walking. If I don't do some activity, I go mad and feel bad. For arthritis, doctors recommend activity so I'm sure any exercise would make you feel better.
Old 03-11-14, 10:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
Another video is Somatic Yoga by James Knight. It is expensive but very worth it. He teaches you how to resolve most pain issues. I felt immediate relief from doing one workout. It's not traditional yoga, but a form of stretching.
James Knight has a free class on YouTube. I haven't watched it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Nnvo6xF1g

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 02:08 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I like Jill Miller's Yoga At Home series - it's not new agey yoga, more like physical therapy and yoga combined. It's not flow yoga either, so you can skip poses that aggravate your condition.

Barre workouts - I love Barre3 - lots and lots of modifications are mentioned throughout the workouts.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 04:17 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

How is fibromyalgia diagnosed? Is there a specific test for it? I'm curious b/c I notice if I don't do my daily barre workout, I get very stiff and my muscles are achey/sore. After barre, I feel so much better.

A friend of mine has it and I've been encouraging her to try it. The thing that has helped her most was going gluten-free.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoimmune disorder, fibromyalgia, gentle somatic yoga, james knight, somatic yoga