Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-13, 10:58 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
Can I ask again which slide board lengths you like? I wanted one the same as my old Body Slide board years ago, but unfortunately I found one site that said those were "about 5 feet" and another that said they were six feet exactly, with bumpers.

I'm 5'4" and just want to use this for cardio, sliding back and forth, so I definitely want to get the length right. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
I am 5'2" and I have the original Reebok slide, which is 6'. I find it's the right length for me. I wouldn't care for a shorter one, it would seem too choppy.
I've mentioned this before in the other slide board thread. I'm 5'2" and I have a 6' board; the 6 ' measure end to end but the sliding surface inside the bumpers measure 67". I have never used a slide board before and when I initially got the board, I could not slide all the way across with one stroke. I had to shuffle. Now I can go all the way across and this length has turned out perfect for me. The board I got is the "3G BLACK Premium Thick Slide Board 6ft X 2ft". Excellent quality; it came rolled up but it unrolled quickly and was immediately flat. I can use it on carpet or hardwood without it moving around. The first one I bought was through Amazon and the seller was BinauralFX:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This price on Amazon is currently $10 more than what I paid. But subsequently I found the same seller on Ebay and the 6' board was $125, shipped--great price for the quality. Make sure its the 3G Black Premium board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151029391775...84.m1439.l2649

I liked this board so much that I purchased a 2nd one (from his Ebay store) for my other home. Delivery and quality was just as good as through his Amazon store. The seller is a former figure skater and he designed the board for skaters to use to practice their moves.

The board comes with a DVD (not really a workout DVD; only techniques) and a pair of booties to go over shoes. Make sure the shoes don't have heavy treads since that could mark up the board (I learned that the hard way). The surface is very slick so sliding is very smooth but it will lose the slickness the more you slide. They recommend spraying with Pledge to slick it up again.
Old 12-27-13, 11:15 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

IIRC the 5-foot slides were made for fast all-cardio videos. There was a slide workout on Christi's CIA 5004 video that used 5-foot slides (I still have it around here somewhere). 6-foot became more like the standard.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 11:18 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Thanks Susie, I had been eyeing that brand on Amazon today too. That you bought a spare one is a real endorsement. Plus, it's good to know if I do get one a little too long that I may be able to build up to that. I bought myself a big fitness toy this year that turned out to be a disappointment, and I don't want to make another misstep.
Old 12-27-13, 11:31 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Susie, I had been eyeing that brand on Amazon today too. That you bought a spare one is a real endorsement. Plus, it's good to know if I do get one a little too long that I may be able to build up to that. I bought myself a big fitness toy this year that turned out to be a disappointment, and I don't want to make another misstep.
Sarah, I've been having a great time using it; currently using it only for sliding and a few mountain climber type of moves. The Bumpers are flat and so I easily rest my palms on them. IIRC, you are located close to me and I traded for one of your hoops a few years ago and I had met your husband to pick it up. I'll gladly show you my board so you can check out the quality; we can meet at a convenient location. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and still in my area.

If you do buy that board, make sure you buy from his Ebay store since it's $35 cheaper.
Old 12-27-13, 11:35 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I remember! You are so sweet, but I do trust your word on the quality issue. Besides, I'm coming from that Cheryl Ladd Bodyslide (with a tear in it), so I'd probably be impressed with foil-wrapped cardboard at this point. I doubt I can go wrong with any of these higher-end slides; I just want to make sure I get the length. And it's sounding like I'd probably get used to the one I got.

Appreciate the advice on how to get the best price.
Old 12-27-13, 12:35 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
LOL, I guess it boils down to one's preferences then. I have seen mixed results to this question about slide board length all over the net this morning. I tried taping off a section of the kitchen floor and seeing if I ran out of oomph by the five foot mark or if I easily slid past it, but it turns out it's very hard to slide without that push from the side bumpers. In fact, the initial tests would suggest I should get a two foot slide.... Thanks for the input, though!
I measured off some area rugs and tested how far I could go with a skater move. Decided 5 ft is probably fine. Granted I wasn't sliding but I thought maybe it could give me an idea of what I am capable of doing. Maybe I will call and ask them regarding height what length slide is good and offers a challenge.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 01:03 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

My 6' foot board (67 inches of sliding surface) was originally challenging for me so I placed a heavy book by one of the bumpers to shorten the slide. But I only needed to do this for a few days until I got more proficiently with my sliding. Now I have no problems sliding across bumper to bumper.
Old 12-27-13, 05:16 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
I tried taping off a section of the kitchen floor and seeing if I ran out of oomph by the five foot mark or if I easily slid past it, but it turns out it's very hard to slide without that push from the side bumpers. In fact, the initial tests would suggest I should get a two foot slide.... Thanks for the input, though!
Sarah, I did the same test, my test would suggest a three foot slide hehe, I also measured a 7 foot board, and it was too long for the two places I could use it, so I have the space for a 5 or 6 foot board.

Quote:
I bought myself a big fitness toy this year that turned out to be a disappointment, and I don't want to make another misstep.
A little bit off of topic, but did you tried to contact Kelly and ask if you could return your system? I'd give it a try (e-mail them), I don't know how much would be shipping it back for you, but if it is not too much, maybe it would be worthy?

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 06:06 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

No, I didn't have room to keep the empty box and the dummy, so I got rid of the box and would have to purchase another. And I'm in a dumb, self-imposed holding pattern of thinking both that I shouldn't give up on it but also that I don't want to use it again. It'll work out in the end, once I give it more attention one way or the other (selling or using).
Old 12-27-13, 06:27 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
No, I didn't have room to keep the empty box and the dummy, so I got rid of the box and would have to purchase another. And I'm in a dumb, self-imposed holding pattern of thinking both that I shouldn't give up on it but also that I don't want to use it again. It'll work out in the end, once I give it more attention one way or the other (selling or using).
Ohhh... This reminds me a bit about my Ugi purchased, I got it and really loved it, but then it ended that I didn't want to use Internet videos at the time, so I stopped using it and it became the less used item and ended collecting dust in a corner, and I was kind of regretting the investment (I just got the ball), I decided to incorporate it on my last rotation and I just "re-fallen" in love with it, this time I decided to get the dvds and I plan to do a full rotation with them. The thing is that I loved it the first time, and it seems not to be the case with you at all. ETA: If shipping wasn't an issue, I'd return it, get my money back and invest it in something I know I'd actually use and enjoy. I hope you'll end finding the best solution for you, and you'll be satisfied for it (hoping that if you decide to sell it, at least you'll get more of your money, or if you decide to use it, that you'll end having a nice and enjoyable workout).

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buyobsidian, obsidian, obsidian fitness, obsidian slide, slide board, ultraslide