Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-13, 11:32 AM  
soccergal23

Added in my thoughts post-workout after completing the Advanced DVD this morning - info can be found near the bottom of page 2 of this thread

Happy holidays to all!
Old 12-24-13, 12:55 PM  
PhyllisG

Thank you for the breakdowns, reviews, comments etc. It all sounds great. I am in a definite slump and this may be just the thing to get me going in the New Year. I also appreciate their comments about tracking what you eat.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 03:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Soccergal, I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed the last workout you've done so far!! It sounds like the kind of wo I'd enjoy alot!

I also wanted to wish Merry Christmas to all you! Have fun everyone!!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 07:23 PM  
soccergal23

Thumbs up Circuit Training DVD review -part of Obsidian 7 DVD add-on set or indiv. DVD/download

* Length: 56:50.
* Led by Erin and Lacey. Matt, Kathryn, Katie in background.
* They refer to this as around the world throughout. They switch boards after each exercise in circuit style fashion.
* Floor Prone Cobra - 1:50. Off the board. Lay facing floor, thumbs up, raise up & down slowly.
* Back extension with rotation - 1:14. Off the board. Lay facing floor, raise up, twist, center, down, switch.
*Single leg floor bridge - 2:09 . Off the board. Get in bridge position, lift up, raise leg up in 90 degree, down, repeat. Switch. Can modify by raising leg straight up.
* Single leg squat - 2:32. Off the board. Single leg squat, repeat same side. Switch.
* Prisoner push-ups - 1:06. Off the board. Push-up, knee to elbow, other knee to elbow, in, jump in, jump up, back down, repeat. Modify by walking in & up.
* 4 Squats, 1 Vertical jump - :30. Off the board. 3 squats, jump, switch sides, repeat.
* Slide - 2:00. On the board. Can modify by adjusting pace, adjusting arms in front or back, marching in place, or twisting across board.
* Squat with bicep curl to V - 2:13 . On the board. With weights. Squat, 1 curl & 1 v on way up, repeat. This one has some funky 4th of July music.
* Reverse lunge with overhead press - 1:55. On the board. With weights. Reverse lunge, overhead press, repeat same leg. Halfway through, switch legs.
* Sliding jack / push up -2:06. On the board. Push-up with arms off board, jack with legs on board. Can modify by just doing legs, or onto elbows and scissor legs.
* Slide - 1:03. On the board. Can modify as per above (they refer to modifications as options).
* Hamstring curls - 1:54. On the board. This are killer! Lay on back off board, bridge legs on board, out and in, repeat. Can modify position of arms (elbows on ground, arms up).
* Mountain climbers - 1:58 . On the board. Can modify by slowing down pace.
* Cross country lunges - 1:54 . On the board. Lunge on board, snap legs in, switch sides, repeat.
* Slide - :59 . On the board. Can modify per above.
* 360 Jack - 2:01 . On the board. Option with weights. Legs out and in, twist 180 degrees, repeat. Can stay in place and just do in and out. Can increase intensity with weights in static bicep position, or side raise.
* Sliding push-up - 2:01 . On the board. Mitts on hands. Legs off board (can do on knees). Arms on board out for 2, in for 2. Can also modify in table top position on knees.
* Double leg push pull 1:55. On the board. Hands off side of board on floor. Legs out 2, in 2 straight back, repeat for 45 seconds. Then to one side, repeat (obliques). Switch sides (obliques).
* Slide - 1:01. On the board. Modifications as per above.
* Static squat with side raise - 2:01 . On the board. Static squat on board, arms out 2, down 2 in side raise, repeat.
* Static lunge with tricep kick backs - 2:02 . On the board. Static lunge with kickback, repeat same leg. Halfway through switch legs.
* Bi/tri push-ups - 2:06. On the board. Mitts on hands. Legs off side, either straight back or on knees. One tricep (in), one chest (out) as you go down, repeat same side. Switch halfway through.
* Knee to elbow - 1:58. On the board. On elbows off side of board. Legs straight back, bring one in to opposite elbow, repeat same leg. Switch halfway through.
* Mountain climbers - 1:01 . On the board. As per above.
* Cool down - 5:04. Arms off side of board, hands on floor, both legs on board, one leg back in runner stretch. Switch legs. Can modify by having one leg off side of board. Side lunge with one leg off board, switch sides. One foot off board, other behind it on board, stretch same arm up & over. Switch sides. Off board. Down in glute stretch - one foot on opposite knee. Quad stretch same leg. Switch sides. Calf stretch with leg back, switch sides. Shoulder stretch, tricep stretch, switch sides. Hands in front to stretch upper back. Fingers laced behind back for chest stretch. Neck stretch, switch sides, then front.

Pros (some of this info is similar to the Intermediate DVD review)
* As with the Intermediate DVD, this workout is hardcore - I loved it!
* Favorite moves: floor prone cobra (enjoy anything that works my bad back), single leg floor bridge, squat with bicep curl to v, reverse lunge with overhead press, sliding jack / push up (holy glutes on fire!!), hamstring curls (this one is awesome), 360 jack (I stayed in place), static lunge with tricep kickbacks
* There isn't any jumping like on the Pure Cardio workout, other than the squat & turn move, which wasn't an issue for me.
* Nice, even pace throughout - no jerky movements
* Same pleasant, no nonsense, encouraging instructor style as the other Obsidian workouts I've done so far.
* More sliding intervals in this one - can still really feel the resistance of the board during the different moves that were done on it.
* I really liked using the board for the stretching - felt like I got a deeper stretch with it.
* I also like that they give quite a few modifications / options in the different moves.
* I love that it combines cardio and weights for a total body workout.
* Same timer and alert to upcoming moves.
* You can really grow with all of the DVDs I've done so far. They suggest 3-5 pounds to start for women, 8-10 for men.

Cons
* At one point in the DVD, a trainer mentions that you can adjust the slide board. I don't think the 5' one is adjustable, or if so, I haven't figured out how to do it. I still think 5' is perfect length for my height of 5' 5, so kind of a non-issue.
* There are a couple glitches on the DVD. One exercise shows about 2 seconds of a prior exercise. One set of mountain climbers the screen blips. Neither issue is major.
* For some who want more sliding, this one may not have enough - there is just over 5 minutes in this one. But again, you can add it in any time.
Old 12-25-13, 07:24 PM  
soccergal23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Soccergal, I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed the last workout you've done so far!! It sounds like the kind of wo I'd enjoy alot!

I also wanted to wish Merry Christmas to all you! Have fun everyone!!
We seem to like quite a few of the same types of workouts, so I'm pretty sure you'd love these Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-13, 05:08 AM  
bex

Wow, it's so great to read these great detailed breakdowns. Thank you soccergal !

I'm kind of disappointed these workouts don't have more sliding, but then again I haven't tried them yet so I'll wait and see when I get them.

On the plus side, I can report that the sliding workouts (plus KBs) I did over the past 2-3 weeks did a fantastic job of prepping my legs for skiing. I can keep up with my 25 year-old stepson, and I'm not sore the next day!
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 05:40 AM  
mimikz

Thanks to these threads , I ordered the 7 DVDs with a set of mitts/booties. My Ultra Slide has been put away for about 2? years. Happily my positive obsession is renewed The booties are a great fit; I had not been totally happy with the big ones that came with my Ultra Slide. I just did the Intermediate DVD, and was initially disappointed that I had to fast forward to the sliding section. However, I really have come to appreciate the workout. There were some ideas that were new to me about how to use the slide. I'm really picky about set, voice, etc. in DVD workouts and this workout really clicked for me. I'm completely happy with my purchase the $$ I invested. For my health, you know

Mimi
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 05:54 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccergal23 View Post
We seem to like quite a few of the same types of workouts, so I'm pretty sure you'd love these Merry Christmas!
Thanks!! I hope you've enjoyed yours alot!! And I agree you, that's why I'm enjoying alot reading your breakdowns! Thanks for taking the time to share them with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
On the plus side, I can report that the sliding workouts (plus KBs) I did over the past 2-3 weeks did a fantastic job of prepping my legs for skiing. I can keep up with my 25 year-old stepson, and I'm not sore the next day!
Wow Bex, that's great to hear!! Keep it up!!
May I ask... Are you using a kb dvd or you're doing it on your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimikz View Post
I'm completely happy with my purchase the $$ I invested. For my health, you know

Mimi
I'm glad to hear everyone is happy with this workouts!! I am getting more eager than ever!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 07:59 AM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
May I ask... Are you using a kb dvd or you're doing it on your own?
I'm a vidiot, of course I'm using DVDs.

Thanks to the recommendations on other threads, I've found the MB essentials workouts to be perfect for me.

I'm high intermediate/advanced exerciser but a beginner at KBs. MB45 uses basic moves but still lets me feel like I've had a workout.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 04:25 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I won't have my laptop easily accessible for the next couple weeks, and I hate typing things out from my phone, so that's why I haven't posted more, but I just wanted to say I've done done the advanced workout and LOVED it I really appreciate soccergal for posting all the breakdowns of the workouts! I am not good at that, I'm just good at showing my enthusiasm for a workout

Still working on my master plan of a new year's rotation, but it will definitely include the slide!

Tags
buyobsidian, obsidian, obsidian fitness, obsidian slide, slide board, ultraslide