Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-13, 10:10 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have heard great things about Belleruth Naparstek's meditation CDs. Amazon and the Health Journeys site have them. Yesterday in my survivors class, someone who had been insomniac due to anxiety and fear of recurrence, said that the CDs are so soothing, she has never heard them all the way through - always falls asleep. She downloads them to her MP3 player. She said samples are available for listening on the Health Journeys site.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:16 AM  
Gams

I have a terrible time sleeping at night. I fall asleep easily, but I'm always awake by 2:00 a.m. and can't get back to sleep. It really sucks when there is nothing to watch on t.v. at the hour. I usually end up watching ABC World News Now("informing insomniacs for over 20 years") , but I don't like the new female co-host much.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:17 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Well, having a pre-bed routine can help your body recognize that it's time for sleep, so that can be a good thing. If you are far enough away from the TV screen, it may not be an issue. Still, if the TV stays on, it could be interfering with quality of sleep.

Sherry, I hope you find some relief soon!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:22 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Hi Sherry. So sorry about your ongoing insomnia. I also like Qi Gong for Deep Sleep, as well as Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration. A dark, cool bedroom helps. Could you take a long, leisurely walk after dinner? I also agree with Beth that TV and computer can interfere with the quality and duration of sleep.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:33 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for the advice and ideas. I really appreciate it. I am 44 years old, so perimenopause can be definitely be a factor. I will look into the supplements and cds.

Jane-I'd be thrilled to get seven hours of sleep-you have to limit yourself to that?! It's so rare I get that many hours in one night.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:42 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My guess is that on some nights you get more sleep than others. What I'm saying is to never allow yourself more than seven hours. This is a real struggle at first, but over time your sleep will even out. I read an article to this effect. I will see if I can find it online and point you to it.
Old 06-18-13, 11:21 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you so much for the advice and ideas. I really appreciate it. I am 44 years old, so perimenopause can be definitely be a factor. I will look into the supplements and cds.
I'm in the same (no sleep) boat. (((hugs))) I'm on the tail end of my cycle and I haven't slept all the way through since Saturday night which is tough with little ones.

I've also tried limiting computer time after 7 pm and find it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

But getting out of bed makes a huge difference. I grab a throw, recline in my favorite easy chair and either meditate or count sheep. I'll fall asleep in the chair and usually the cat wakes me up around 5:30 am at which point I can grab another hour of sleep in bed before my DH's alarm goes off.

If I figure out any new tricks I'll let you know. T
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 12:08 PM  
BigBadBetty

My only advice is talk to your doctor. I went through a period of debilitating insomnia. I tried all sorts of natural remedies. I did not want to be dependent on something to go to sleep. Nothing worked. I finally went to the doctor again. She prescribed one of the meds I was so reluctant to try. She only had me take it 10 days. After 10 days, my body reset its clock. That was over 10 years ago. I've never needed to take that medicine again.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 01:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sherry, i PM'd you.

if you do a search of my VF user name with "sleep" i wrote some long posts about what i did to combat insomnia:

post #1
post #2
post #3

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 01:59 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Sherry, I had a few more alternative practice type thoughts:

Reiki - You can find a certified Reiki practitioner at most quality yoga studios and alternative health places that offer massage and body work. See http://www.reiki.org/ I bet it would help with that muscle tensing business.

Hypnosis - find a licensed hypnotherapist

Acupuncture - ask your doctor for a referral. Acupuncture is truly incredible.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, james knight, somatic yoga