Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-12, 11:05 AM  
bearcatfan

Mindy's newest - Booty Camp/Tabata

Does anyone have Mindy Mylrea's newest ones, Booty Camp and Tabata with Toys? What do you think?
Old 04-09-12, 11:30 AM  
acescholar

I pre-ordered Tabata with Toys and received it while recovering from my second oral surgery--I almost sabotaged my recovery because it looked so fun and I wanted to jump in! I was good though, and just previewed it and busied myself doing a breakdown--and now I'm cleared to go full throttle so I hope to do it later this week. It looks kickbutt! You can easily split up the workout because all the Tabatas are chaptered.

Here's the breakdown:

You do each move twice, the second time is a more intense version. Mindy also suggests that you just pick one of the four moves and do it for the whole time.

TABATA 1 – gliding disks
One leg pull in
Side lunge and raise arms
Plank with snake ins
Ab slide gliding arms in front (on wood floor, put mat under knees)
TABATA 2
Lunge forward and back with gliding disk
Plié squat (more like glding jack)
Jumping jack push ups
Swim with disks
TABATA 3 – with gliding disks
Burpee (variation, ball between knees)
One Legged Burpee with Bender ball behind knee
Prone one leg pull in
Supine hamstring curl
TABATA 4
+ working rests
Plie Jump with ball touch
Split Jump with ball touch
Butt kick with ball touch
Air Jack/ Tuck Jump
TABATA 5 – push-ups and plank position
Tricep push-up
Tuck in/Push Up (w/ gliding disks)
Cross Under (gliding disks—like oblique mountain climber )
Push Up with Ball (switch sides back and forth)
TABATA 6 – prone and supine
Side to side push-ups [IDEA: use topper like Cathe does??]
v-sit – raise and lower legs (bender ball behind back and disk between feet)
Staggered push-ups
Side to side v-sit (like Russian twist)
TABATA 7 – Bosu
Split squat, forward and back, around the world (switch sides on second round)
Sit down on Bosu, extend arms and legs, jump up
Squat jump on Bosu – progressively lower
Supine Bug
TABATA 8 - Bosu
Brazilian lunge (one toe on Bosu) with touch down and leg raise
Tricep dip with disks and Bosu
Straddle Jump on Bosus (touch with disk)
Gliding lunge off back of Bosu
TABATA 9 – use body bar
Plié Squat Jump holding bar
Side lunge – narrow squat-- overhead press with bar
Propelling lunge side to side (can do split jumps)
Lower Bar/Burpee (add push-up second round)
TABATA 10 – Body bar
Narrow twisted jump (slalom)
Alternate lunge with rowing motion
Seated v-sit with rowing
Squatter using bar as marker
TABATA 11 – Med Ball
Chair Pose holding med ball up
Plie squat holding bar, alternate heel raises, second round raise both heels and hold
Plank on ball
V-sit holding ball
TABATA 12 – Ropeless Jumprope (use hand weights or weighted gloves?)
Jump/Knee while spinning rope
Wide arm jumping jacks while spinning arms
Side Plank with spinning arm (alternate sides)
V-sit with spinning arms (substitute Russian twist)
TABATA 13 – weighted ball
High Knee Run, arching ball from side to side
Squat jump figure out
Butt Kicks (lunge forward with ball and kick butt)
Side to Side Squat tossing ball from side to side
TABATA 14 – weighted ball
Burpee with ball
Seated weave with ball
Side push up on ball into side plank
Push up with arm extension
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 12:09 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Seems like the perfect workout for someone with exercise ADD who likes intensity ....
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 02:03 PM  
bearcatfan

Thanks for the breakdowns!

I went to look one more time at the Turbo Firestarter kit and browsed Mary's "what's new" page. Now I want these instead of TF.
Old 04-15-12, 03:24 PM  
acescholar

I finally did this workout yesterday, and the Tabatas really add up. I did 13 of the 14 Tabatas as my workout -- I skipped the Airrope one (I started to do it with 1 lb. hand weights but I didn't wasn't feeling the rhythm of the moves and I was pretty tired by then anyway).

Mindy sticks closely to the 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off pattern. She does have an intro that gives a rest between Tabatas, and after a while I think this will help with set up (which I found tricky between moves).

I liked the gliding work a lot, but Mindy's pace is fast and and more focused on the cardio effect than the toning effect. Also, the way my workout room is set up makes it a little hard to transition from one move to the next in 10 seconds.

I think the toughest part for me was moving into the bug moves on the Bosu. I usually need some set up time for this, and, I found it hard to get in the right position in 10 seconds. In fact, I was thinking I was really glad no one could see me as I fluttered around.

I'm not sure I'll use this as a single workout very often. But it will be great to use a few Tabatas as add ons.

For the most part, Mindy makes everything look so effortless. But, I was really glad when a few times even she had to regress back from the most advanced options. There were times when she said: "to make this even harder".....and I didn't even pay attention! I used a 9lb. body bar instead of 15.

She suggests that if you really want a tough workout, you repeat the same move for all 8 rounds. I think that would get really really tedious (although maybe I could get in a few good bug rounds if I chose just to do bug on that Tabata)!

I would definitely say this is advanced, although for me that was measured more by end fatigue than high heart-rate.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 05:07 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acescholar View Post

I would definitely say this is advanced, although for me that was measured more by end fatigue than high heart-rate.
This is the way all of Mindy's workouts are for me. My HR never gets very high but the workouts are quite hard.
Old 04-17-12, 08:40 AM  
bearcatfan

Coming back to say I finally tried Booty Camp, the portion with the Bender Ball and gliding discs.

I'm not sure I'll be able to walk tomorrow - my inner thighs are on FIRE! I rarely do any kind of gliding, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. That said, I really liked this portion.

This is the only Mindy workout I have (aside from Tabata with Toys, which I haven't really tried) and while she was chatty it helped take my mind off what I was doing. She is definitely the instructor I would most like to have a diet beverage with.

She does variations of loaded and unloaded lunges and squats - unloaded means your leg without the disc bears your weight, and loaded means your gliding leg bears your weight. Then she does exercises with both discs. The Bender Ball (I used a playground ball) is squeezed between your knees for some exercises. She does an exercise that uses the disc while you hold the ball behind your knee and then go into a downward dog-esque floor pose and support yourself with your hands while one leg is up holding the ball and the other is moving in and out with the disc. She calls herself a circus act at this point, lol.

I had to modify some of the more impossible exercises, but my legs still burn. She has three other options that include a bosu and tabata section. I don't have a bosu so I'm hoping I can use a step for the same effect, or maybe a balance disc.
Old 04-17-12, 02:36 PM  
msu

Thanks for the reviews! I have been stalking this one at Mary's for a couple of weeks now and I think I will take it from my wishlist to my shopping cart! I do like Mindy. Although I normally prefer heavier weights, the Mindy dvds I already have manage to make me feel truly worked without using all the poundage. My knees usually thank me and I enjoy her chipper attitude. I look forward to hearing about her two other new ones if anyone has tried those out.
msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 01:41 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

I've done some of TWT, and didn't it to be that intense, but maybe I need to revisit. I'm not sure I get the idea of working hard for six or eight seconds (Firm Express); does anybody know the science behind it?

As for Booty Camp, I've done two sections so far--Tabata and med ball--and I love them both. They were great add-ons to a FE workout and really kept my heart rate up the entire time. I was even sore from the med ball workout. I've always loved Mindy's cardio leg work, and these sections are perfect. I can't wait to try the other two.

Donna
Old 04-27-12, 02:41 PM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

I tried a couple of sections from TWT this morning and it was a perfect add-on. I get up early to work out, and I always feel a little lost if I'm done with my workout with 5-10 minutes to spare. It's too much time to call it "done", but not enough time to add-on most other workouts. Today I had just under 10 minutes, so tried 2 tabatas - one body-weight and one of the gliding disc sections.

As usual, I liked Mindy's cheery personality. She explains all four exercises at the beginning of each section, and tells you to be warming up while she's talking. The menu clearly states what "toys" are being used for each section, so it's easy to pick out what you want to do. I don't have a BOSU, but I previewed those sections and it looked like you could sub a low step (like the top of the firm box), or just do them on the floor.

Anyway, this workout is staying on my TV stand to be my "go-to" for when I have that little bit of extra time!

Tags
bender ball, mindy mylrea, tabata, tabata with toys