Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-12, 07:54 PM  
daisysunshine

Is the Barre3 Ball Anything Special?

I keep looking at that ball and other than the barre3 symbol on it, is it the ball the same... I have this ball

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Overball-...6761300&sr=8-2

I'm just curious because it looks like Sadie can do a lot of things with that ball.

Thanks in Advance!

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 08:20 PM  
Eibhinn

The ball Sadie uses in Barre3 is a Fitball mini.
As far as I can tell, the same ball is included in the Element: Total Body Pilates kit (Lisa Hubbard) and the 10 Minute Solution: Quick Sculpt Pilates with Ball kit (Andrew Leigh Rogers).

Although I'm not familiar with the ball you have, the fitball mini has a couple characteristics that make it very different from other fitness balls/playground balls I've used for workouts

It's very thin and soft. I have no idea what it's made out of, but I'm constantly surprised the thing doesn't burst. It feels like a balloon, albeit a very thick one. As a result, it contours around your body to a greater degree than other playground type balls, and you can squeeze it and it has enough give that it shapes around your body - for example behind a knee - instead of slipping away because it's too round. Despite being more pliable than a playground ball, it has just enough structural integrity to provide some resistance when squeezed.

It has a kind of porous surface - there are tiny crater-like holes all over it - which makes it tacky like a nice yoga mat. If I press my hands against the sides of it, they stick a little bit when I pull away. As a result, the ball stays put when doing exercises.

Before I got the fitball mini I hated workouts that use the ball. I found them frustrating because the ball would slip and slide around and I could never keep it in place. I felt like I spent most of my time repositioning or chasing the ball around. Since buying Barre3 (and getting the fitball with it) I've revisited workouts using the ball, and found I love them. Not only is the fitball special, I would argue it's magic. I love love love it.

Here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/FitBall-Mini-E...6762050&sr=8-1

And I found a Canadian company who sell it, and bookmarked it in case mine ever breaks:
http://www.incrediball.ca/?p=337

I've never bought anything from Incrediball, so I can't vouch for their customer service or shipping costs, but that's a domestic option if you're interested in converting to the magic ball.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 09:15 PM  
Gancho Girl

I've got both the Fitball and the Overball, and while I like both, I prefer the Fitball. Mainly because the Fitball is stickier and have more give (and is easier to blow up!).

In fact, I like the Fitball so much, I've got two. But I have this whole freaky ball obsession going on...

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 07:07 AM  
trishthedish

Daisy - it really is a must have ball! You know this!
Old 01-17-12, 07:23 AM  
topfitmama

Well, I can't find the magic ball in Germany!
I'm pretty happy with my overball, which has a porous like surface and feels a bit sticky, but it has started deflating a little so I have to inflate it every time, which is a bit of a pain with that little straw thing and the plug.
Is it normal for them to lose air?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 07:34 AM  
trishthedish

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Well, I can't find the magic ball in Germany!
I'm pretty happy with my overball, which has a porous like surface and feels a bit sticky, but it has started deflating a little so I have to inflate it every time, which is a bit of a pain with that little straw thing and the plug.
Is it normal for them to lose air?
I know my fitball doesn't. I've had it for almost 2 years now and haven't had to re-inflate it. So it must cost a lot to ship from the US then?
Old 01-17-12, 09:09 AM  
daisysunshine

I blow into mine. i pull out the plug - and just BLOW!
the overball is porous but it doesn't really stick sometimes.

this is sad - but I'll save up and get this ball.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 11:19 AM  
topfitmama

I blow too, Daisy, through the straw!
Old 01-17-12, 11:28 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
I know my fitball doesn't. I've had it for almost 2 years now and haven't had to re-inflate it. So it must cost a lot to ship from the US then?
I don't know how much it costs to ship the ball, but it can't be much because they are small and don't weigh much. Some sellers on Amazon offer international shipping but I can't figure out how much it would be...
Anyway, no big deal!
Old 01-17-12, 11:42 AM  
Eibhinn

Here's the "where to buy" section on the Fitball company website:

http://www.balldynamics.com/where_to_buy.php

Surely at least one of those companies offers reasonable international shipping!

Or maybe it's a good excuse to buy Barre3 from Sadie - I recall her shipping to Canada being reasonable AND fast. Or you could buy one of the kits I mentioned above if you could find that more easily.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre3, fitball, mini ball, sadie lincoln