Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-10, 02:32 PM  
F1mom

Favorite Pilates Workout?

My favorite has been Project You's Pilates Core because it is the first pilates workout I did that I liked and felt did anything. I'd tried Stott Pilates back in the 90s and nearly fell asleep during the workout.

What's your fave?
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 02:43 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates - I don't do it that much though because it's kind of long.
Old 07-18-10, 02:43 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I nearly fell asleep during Stott a while back too, but now since I've been taking Pilates classes for a few years I really like them. They are really well instructed and demo excellent form.
Old 07-18-10, 03:02 PM  
desertMermaid

I don't do a lot of pilates, I've never tried Winsor or Stott, but one's I have done and enjoyed were:

Kristin Mcgee weight loss pilates
Jules Benson Total Core Pilates
Element Slim and tone pilates
10 Minute Solution: Quick Sculpt Pilates with Toning Ball
Bernadette Giorgi Power Sculpt Pilates & Pilates Circle Challenge

10 MS also has some other good ones with Suzanne Bowen and Laura Hudson.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 03:50 PM  
imhere2dance

I don't do a lot of Pilates, either. And like desertMermaid, I've never tried Winsor or Stott. I really like Ana Cabán and my two favorites are Quick Start Pilates for Weight Loss and Pilates Toning Ring Workout.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 04:04 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Supreme Pilates and still anxiously awaiting for Ellen Croft's long promised new DVDs.

And even though they all have flaws, and Mari is quirky, my Winsor collection is the most used of all my Pilates vids - I just keep going back to her material.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 04:05 PM  
alisoncooks

I've tried Jules Benson & Element (w/ Brooke Siler) & Kristen McGee (for Beginners) & Kathy Smith's 2 dvd Pilates set (my first pilates experience and I thought very informative!) and most of the 10 Minute Solution ones......and I have to say, I prefer Mari Winsor! Some people don't like her manner but something about the way she instructs and her presentation works for me. I don't *dislike* the others....I just couldn't seem to get consistent with them like I could Mari.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 08:49 AM  
KathAL79

I've always been a big Stott fan, but then I learned Pilates from a live Stott instructor and also had another great live Stott-trained instructor for a while. I won't say Stotts are a party in a box, but I like their Level 3 Core Challenge. I also rather like the Pilates Weight Loss Boost (3 shorter and progressive routines on a reasonably priced disc) and the matwork series (I have the 2nd edition Intermediate and 2nd and 3rd edition Advanced - there's no reason to track down one edition if you have another, honestly).

Another vote here for Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates. It's not classical Pilates, which is part of its appeal for many folks, and yet someone like me who prefers Pilates straight up (as in not fusion) can also find much to appreciate about it.

Hey, Mari Winsor fans, no need to qualify your statements or feel guilty! I actually feel bad I can't get into her stuff, but I blame the sound quality on my a/v equipment for at least some of that, since her voice and snapping come out harsher than I suspect they are in real life.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 09:10 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I first tried pilates with Mari Winsor and like several of her shorter DVDs. I am also a big fan of the 10 MS pilates DVDs probably because I get bored quickly with longer workouts. I find the 10 MS Pilates Perfect Body and Quick Sculpt Pilates particularly effective.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 09:12 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Ellen Barrett's Intermediate PIlates and MTV Pilates with Kristin McGee, also her MTV PIilates Mix - workout 2 is surprisingly tough. I was shocked that I liked ANYTHING that had MTV in the title, LOL!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, pilates ball