Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-09, 10:55 PM  
LauraBella

Best/toughest/favorite/most effective PILATES dvd???

Hi!

I'm in a no weight rotation right now. (I use the term rotation loosely.) I have most of the barre stuff out there. And, I probably don't need more yoga...not much anyway.

But, I was wondering if you could guide me to a really good pilates workout or two? I really like mtv pilates mix and winsor buns-and-thighs (with band). I also love Ellen's pink crunch (yup, I have a complete set of Ellens). ANY suggestions for your favorite/toughest/most EFFECTIVE pilates dvd???

I want a "pilates treat" but need to limit the purchasing. Help me choose wisely!

Thanks!
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 05:13 AM  
herya

QuickFix Pilates Abs with Keli Roberts! It's not only abs, it's effective, it flies as there's a very good mix of exercises. I find myself returning to it again and again. They offer modifications but the highest level is suitably challenging. It's cheap too.
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 06:41 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Many VFers like Jules Benson's Power Body: Total Core Pilates with Jules Benson DVD. I hear it's a tough but good one.
Old 11-05-09, 06:58 AM  
naturallove

I will say that almost ANY pilates dvd (including beginner ones) will be 'effective' if you're using proper form. I can step into any class, including a 'beginner-level one, and get my butt kicked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey211 View Post
Many VFers like Jules Benson's Power Body: Total Core Pilates with Jules Benson DVD. I hear it's a tough but good one.
I'm one of those VFers! Love this one! This is one that pilates purists and those that lean toward fusion both like. (I'm in both camps.) She has a wicked side kick series that gets me every time. I also think Winsor has some pretty challenging dvds (check out her advanced ones), though Mari has a personality and teaching style that may not appeal to some. Her 18-minute Advanced Body Slimming kicks my tail every time! I also have her Accelerated Body Sculpting but haven't broken off the shrink wrap just yet.

Things that are readily available retail include the 10 Minute Solution Pilates on the Ball, which I think is a pretty challenging interpretation of pilates. The lower body section with those hamstring presses are no joke! I also enjoy the 10 Minute Solution Quick Sculpt Pilates, which uses a soft ball to add instability and support to classical exercises, and a few other things. This one has a rather barreish feel to it, and will probably appeal more to fans of that genre. I also like Ana Caban, who has several challenging workouts, such as Intermediate Pilates (I haven't tried it, but there are good reviews of this one posted), Pilates for Abs (most consider this one her most challenging) and Pilates Core Challenge (adapts traditional reformer work to the mat---TOUGH).

(As an aside, I have to say that I don't really like Pilates for Abs videos and video segments, because those things tend to include way too much forward flexion and not enough extension. Changes in the abdominal region come mostly from diet (alas!) and exercise (to a lesser extent), but having a balance between ab and back strength is really important to being functionally fit. Pilates is about a balanced body, and 'parts' videos really do the method a great disservice. (Off my instructor high horse now!) )
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 07:12 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I haven't taken live Pilates classes (but would like to) and am not very experienced, but videos I like include ones by Karen Voight, Ana Caban, a few by Mari Winsor. (I've heard great things about Jules' video, mentioned above, but it's quite long I believe.) I prefer total body videos but also enjoy Exhale Pilates Plus and 10Min Solution videos, including Suzanne Bowen's Pilates Perfect Body. ETA - I also enjoy Bernadette Giorgi and she's got such a lovely, calming demeanor/personality.

I always like reading KathAL79's posts, as I consider her knowledgeable about this subject. Hopefully she'll weigh in on this thread.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 08:40 AM  
sundari

I agree Lucky. KathAL79 will have some great suggestions.
Old 11-05-09, 08:49 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

I second the suggestion for Jules' Total Core Pilates and 10 Minute Solutions Pilates on the Ball.

My favorite pilates DVD has to be Denise Austin Hit the Spot Pilates. It is core and lower body focussed (3 ab segments, 1 hip segment, 1 buns segment, 1 thigh segment, and 1 standing pilates segment). I think it's her best pilates workout to date.
Old 11-05-09, 08:53 AM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_real_twit View Post
I second the suggestion for Jules' Total Core Pilates and 10 Minute Solutions Pilates on the Ball.

My favorite pilates DVD has to be Denise Austin Pick Your Spot Pilates. It is core and lower body focussed (3 ab segments, 1 hip segment, 1 buns segment, 1 thigh segment, and 1 standing pilates segment). I think it's her best pilates workout to date.
Do you mean "Denise Austin's Hit the Spot Pilates"?
Old 11-05-09, 08:57 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundari View Post
Do you mean "Denise Austin's Hit the Spot Pilates"?
Yes, that's what I meant, sorry! I'll edit my post.
Old 11-05-09, 08:59 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Along with the other suggestions (i.e., Ana Caban "Pilates for Abs" is crucial tough and 10 Minute Solution Pilates on the Ball is fun/tough) I would recommend Hilary Burnett (she has a Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced) as well as 10 Minute Solution Pilates ab section (rest of DVD is not as difficult) and 10 Minute Solution Rapid Results Pilates.

However I am biased to Lara Hudson

Tags
favorite pilates dvds, jules benson, pilates, pilates ball, pilates band, standing pilates