Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-01, 06:25 PM  
WTK
VF Supporter

almost 2 years!

Hi, y'all! I can't believe I've been coming to VF for nearly 2 years now. I found VF in January 2000 when I was looking for video reviews on the internet. I didn't find the forum right at first, but once I did, wow! It has really helped keep me motivated.

I'll be 27 next Thursday and live in Little Rock, Arkansas, with my (dear, wonderful, amazing, standing over my shoulder commenting) husband of 4 1/2 years and our 6 month old daughter. As my signature says, I'm also a SAHM and will one day pass the CPA exam, go back to work, and be a true CPA. For now, though, I'm happy being a mom.

My favorite type of workout is hi/lo. Christi Taylor is just about the greatest thing VF has done for me, other than motivation. I'm not doing much with videos at the moment, though, b/c of being post-partum and not having time. I'm going to get back into them, though. I'm tired of still having this baby belly. Ick!

I will also figure out this vB code stuff. I WILL! I just haven't had time yet with the holiday.

WTK
New SAHM and future CPA
Old 11-23-01, 07:00 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I enjoy reading these intro threads so much! I feel like I get to know everyone a little bit better every time.

OK, here goes, I'm married to Art for almost 32 years, but REALLY I'm not that old! We're now empty nesters as the baby ran off to Joan Boadway's alma mater, UTK, a year ago. However, although the children are out of the house they've left their "stuff" and pets behind. We are the proud parents of two dogs, Barney, a hound, beagle? mix, Fezzik a college grad Akita/Shepherd mix, two cockateels, Theodore & Alvin, two fire bellied toads, Alfred & Chucklene and two salt water aquariums complete with fish. Thankfully our oldest daughter lives nearby & babysits for us so we can enjoy being empty nesters. Does the word "zoo" come to mind?

I think I found VF around '96. I started exercising with Firm Vol. 1 about 10 years ago & found VF while doing a seach for the Firm. I've learned so much here from all the very intelligent, sensible people who post here. I've enjoyed meeting fellow DC area VFers on three different occasions & they are even more wonderful in person.

I worked as an RN for 23 years & finally had the courage to decide I didn't want to do that anymore. Currently I'm a home maintenance person, gad-about & otherwise happy woman.

Along with Art I play volleyball, wallyball & enjoy playing board games. Recently we've become involved in geocaching which has led into hiking/cabin camping in the moutains. I enjoy sewing, quilting & needlework as well as reading.

My lifetime goal is to be able to do Rhythmic Step & Urban Training on my 100th birthday. You all are welcome to join me! I love weight training but I NEED cardio!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-01, 07:05 PM  
slaalaa227
VF Supporter

Cool No longer a lurker!

Hey everyone,
I've been inspired by all the delurking and new forum software, and I am going to make it my Thanksgiving resolution (yes I just made that up) to post more often.

I did post even though it terrified me, to the "Is Yoga Enough" thread and it has gotten less scary (Thanks RUTH NYC for your encouragement) so I'm going to make a point to be involved.

When I first started coming to VF, in 1997, it was because I had just found Firm tapes and started exercising at home. Thanks to VF I found Cathe, Christi, and everyone else. I love Christi and Cathe and Yoga and I'm off and on (currently on) about the Firm- and Tae Bo. I love Tae Bo but I can't do it everyday.

I'm 27, a first year Doctoral student in Musicology, piano teacher and kitty mommy (to Sadie and Lucy). My wonderful BF also lives here (I just realized I put him behind the kitties, that can't be good!)

Hope everyone had a great holiday- wow I've managed to post once a day now for three days!
Sarah
slaalaa227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-01, 07:07 PM  
Steph

Hi Everyone!

I have been a lurker for a few years...I honestly don't remember how long... and have posted once or twice. I read the forum every day and have learned so much from all of you ladies!!

I am 38, have been married for 18 years, and have 5 children. Thankfully, I don't have to be employed outside the home so I am able to homeschool our kids.

I work out in the wee hours of the morning before anyone else is awake. I use Cathe for strength workouts, and a variety of others for cardio. I also enjoy running. Over the past 3 summers I have participated in 7 triathlons. I make my home in the Pacific Northwest.

I really enjoy this forum! I read it while I eat my lunch!! Maybe I'll be able to post more in the future!! For now, I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say.

Thanks!!!
Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-01, 09:28 PM  
kimjo
VF Supporter

Introduction

Hi, I am de-lurking to say hi and introduce myself. (Like Sarah, I will try to make it my Thanksgiving resolution to post more often).

I am a 35 year old computer engineer from North Alabama. I have been lurking at VF for about a year and a half. I came to VF to find out more about exercise videos and to read the reviews. I was inspired by the VF'ers to try different instructors and types of workouts but I have finally settled on the FIRM as the mainstay of my workouts. I am currently wanting to incorporate Yoga into my schedule. (Just bought Yoga Zone's Introduction to Power Yoga today!)

Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys for all the interesting posts from the last year and a half.

Kimberly
kimjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-01, 09:34 PM  
Isalay
VF Supporter

I'm another one of the infrequent posters who have been re-motivated to start posting due to the wonderful new forum!

I found VF around April 2000 when I was searching the 'net for info on videos. I'm 34 (35 in a few weeks! ) and I've been working out off and on for over 10 years. I'm currently single and live in Orange County, CA (wave to Caroline a soon-to-be OC'er!). I'm a Data Analyst for a large company who is a Medicare contractor.

I don't have kids but I have the sweetest dog, my maltese Fritz who I totally spoil . I also have 2 nephews who are 8 and almost 11 years old who think I'm like their sister due to my occasional bouts of silliness .

My sincere thanks to everyone here who continue to inspire and motivate me in my fitness journey.
Old 11-23-01, 11:06 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Hi! I'm a newbie

I just started posting here, but I've been reading the reviews for several months now. I'm a grad student (microbiology), and I'm currently finishing up my Ph.D. project and writing my dissertation.

I started working out at home after long illness/surgery/recovery. I had been walking outside for cardio, but I was too weak to use the weight machines at the student rec center, and I didn't know how to use free weights . I started with a few Denise Austin videos (don't laugh - that's all they had at Wal-Mart :rolleyes: ). I outgrew some of my Denise videos, but I have to give her credit for getting me moving - and I still use her kickboxing and Pilates videos.

I discovered VF shortly after that, and was amazed at the variety of workouts available! It wasn't long before I had my first FIRM video, a full-size step, a "tall box" (Rubbermaid toolbox/step), several pairs of weights, and some aerobics videos with basic choreography. Recently, I tried some videos with more complex choreography (Kari, some CIAs). To my amazement, I could actually do them . I also started practicing yoga, which does wonders for my peace of mind.

My life is very stressful right now, and I depend on exercise to help me deal with the stress, and to give me the energy that I need to get everything done. I enjoy reading (a lot!), listening to classical music, skating, and watching some TV (hockey, football, X-Files, educational programs, and the occasional movie). I really don't do much else right now, since I spend most of my time working/writing. I also have two affectionate, playful cats who like to pester me when I'm trying to write .

Colleen
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-01, 11:33 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Smile Hi

I love to read and post on VF. I discovered the website a few years ago, but began posting in earnest last spring.

I'm 46. I'm a public interest environmental lawyer. I moved back to my home town two years ago with my husband. We have two dogs and four cats. Before that I lived in NYC for 23 years.

I got spoiled with the NYC workouts, especially when I lived in Manhattan. I went to yoga, step, beginning jazz, ethnic (mostly afro cuban). When I moved upstate I couldn't find anything I liked and, with a pile-on of work stress, local comfort foods and car culture, gained alot of weight.

I've lost most of the weight by doing exercise videos and eating right. I've had a collection of maybe 20 videos since the mid nineties, but last February I started acquiring in earnest, and now I have around 175.

I went from Richard Simmons to Mindy and Christi - pretty quickly, actually - the good news for the relapse crowd is that the muscles do remember and come back!

I find VF to be a very respectful and friendly place, and am indebted to Wendy and the moderators who make it possible.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-01, 11:46 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Here goes...

I live in Southern Illinois, am 42, married 15 years to my best friend and have 5 kids ages 3-13. I found VF a little over 4 years ago while searching for reviews of exercise videos. I'd decided home workout videos were the only way to get consistant exercise ( I worked part time then, am SAHM now) and picked up a couple at Walmart (Weight Watcher aerobics, a Jane Fonda and the first Cindy Crawford)but didn't like them much. The first videos I found thru VF that worked for me were the Firm and I still use them for most of my strength training. For cardio, I love Christi and Andre's latest step video. Right now I'm burnt out on my cardio videos and am starting a walking program to get out in the great outdoors. When not busy in the kitchen, laundry or attending my childrens' sporting events, I like to read, do rubber stamping, chat with my childhood friend on icq and socialize with my family. My exercise goals are to feel good, increase my energy level and be able to travel and go with my husband when the kids are grown. I had the fortune to go to Midwest Mania a couple of weeks ago and met Christi Taylor, got her autograph and took her class. It was so great to meet her and other VFers. Leslie
LeslieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-01, 01:28 AM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

Hi all!

I am 24, and I am a grad student at UT Austin in Art Museum Education. I also work part-time with children who have autism and other cognitive disabilities. I have been married for just over 2 years. My husband is a high school math teacher. I also have a doberman named Jeremiah.

I have been posting with the Intemediates Check-In for awhile, but I have rarely posted on the GD board. I found VF last spring, just a couple months after I started working out with videos. When I moved a little out of town, and had no convenient gym, my mom suggested doing videos. At first, I thought she was completely crazy, but she convinced me to go to a used bookstore, and see what I could get cheaply. I got a Callanetics tape and a Jenny Craig aerobics tape. My collection has quickly swelled, and I have since sold those two tapes.

I have also had more success keeping with exercise and losing weight with videos. I think home exercise is much more appropriate for the way I schedule things. I guess my mom really did know best!

Glad to get to know all of you!

Catherine
cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread