Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-20, 01:28 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
From what I understand, and I might be wrong, retail stores that were forced to close feel it's unfair that stores such as Walmart and Target can continue to sell items that they were selling before having to shut down.

Erica
My aunt just mentioned this too. I do get that, totally. I worry about the businesses that may not survive this. But I still want to know who thinks they can decide for the entire population what is essential and what isn't, you know? Even as far as what stores are considered essential or not.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 12:45 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
My aunt just mentioned this too. I do get that, totally. I worry about the businesses that may not survive this. But I still want to know who thinks they can decide for the entire population what is essential and what isn't, you know? Even as far as what stores are considered essential or not.
That would be my worry too. I bought a black blouse at Walmart for my daughter, she needed it for work. But would clothes be considered non-essential? I happened to be there for groceries, and just picked up the blouse, it wasn't the reason for my trip.

I just googled, it's happening in Vermont. But you can still order the items online. The stores who closed can sell online also.

It does seem that what is considered essential or non-essential varies by state and is up to the governor. Our governor had nail and hair salons, barbershops and tattoo parlors on the essential business list. He changed that recently, after a big public outcry.
Old 04-05-20, 09:09 AM  
suzannaerin

It seems you can pretty easily find what would be considered "non-essentials" on line. I've been bombarded with "sale" emails, even by companies who rarely (if ever) reduce their products.

Someone on here enabled me to check out Nuts.com and they restocked an item that I had wanted (dark chocolate covered cocoa nibs, which I bought solely for the nutritional benefits, :-).

I, too, am worried about the small, local businesses. Some of them are offering online sales (Poetry and Prose, here in the DC-area, a local independent book store that's a favorite of ours). You can still buy local if check online---to include ordering from restaurants.

In addition, a local supplier for restaurants is selling fresh produce/products a few times a week---at wholesale prices---to the public, offering curbside pickup at locations.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 10:11 AM  
LAC

Yesterday there was a full page ad in our local paper (online subscription) from a restaurant supplier in a nearby industrial park offering online ordering with curbside pick-up, or even home delivery for orders of $300+. I had no idea this place even existed, but I was happy to learn about it as an option!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 05:50 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Yesterday there was a full page ad in our local paper (online subscription) from a restaurant supplier in a nearby industrial park offering online ordering with curbside pick-up, or even home delivery for orders of $300+. I had no idea this place even existed, but I was happy to learn about it as an option!
That's a great option! With restaurants closed or doing takeout/delivery orders only, the restaurant supplier is probably are sitting on a bit of product. You might have to purchase a large quantity, though.
Old 04-09-20, 03:25 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I got a "small" box of fruit and veggies delivered yesterday by a company in a neighboring town that supplies restaurants. It was $15.00 delivery charge for purchases up to $150.00. Mine was only $35, so kinda steep as a percentage of purchase, but it had a huge amount of stuff, and I love fresh produce.

I wouldn't have heard of or tried them before all this stay in the house business.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 04:33 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx View Post
I got a "small" box of fruit and veggies delivered yesterday by a company in a neighboring town that supplies restaurants. It was $15.00 delivery charge for purchases up to $150.00. Mine was only $35, so kinda steep as a percentage of purchase, but it had a huge amount of stuff, and I love fresh produce.

I wouldn't have heard of or tried them before all this stay in the house business.
Terri, that sounds wonderful! I have heard of companies that offer weekly boxes of produce, I guess it's when you belong to a co-op? It always intrigued me but I never looked into it. Did you get to choose what you wanted in the box or did they just give you what is in season?

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 08:51 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Really? Where did you hear this?
Yes, Honeydew, please share where you heard this. I haven't seen anything remotely saying or even implying this. I would really like to read about it.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 09:53 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Yes, Honeydew, please share where you heard this. I haven't seen anything remotely saying or even implying this. I would really like to read about it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=non-...hrome&ie=UTF-8
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 10:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
D'oh! Didn't occur to me to ask Dr. Google. Thanks CharM. Seems that a few places are doing this. A similar ban hasn't been on the radar in my state, at least not that I'm aware of.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19