Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-12, 04:31 AM  
juberann

Using a Pilates ball with floor Ab work..........

I'm not a huge fan of ab floorwork but know I need to add some in since I am really focused on slimming my midsection. I have hurt my back in the past doing situps and tend to shy away from floorwork but was thinking about using my Pilates ball and putting it right under my lower back during floor exercises, like Sadie Lincoln does in Barre3.
Think that might work and do you think it would take away from the effectiveness of the exercise? Anyone use a Pilates ball in this way? I know full situps are pretty much out of the question for me but think I could utilize a ball for many other exercises
Old 11-13-12, 07:56 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
using my Pilates ball and putting it right under my lower back during floor exercises
This is how I do 80% of all floor ab-work.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 09:30 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

A lot of people use balls. Use your stability ball also. It s also like doing bender ball. So many videos using balls it's normal and easier on the back and yes they are effective. Check out Scott Pilates mini ball workout. It will give you other options also

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 10:56 AM  
SpiritSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
This is how I do 80% of all floor ab-work.
Ditto.
Old 11-13-12, 05:19 PM  
Gancho Girl

I find that using a Pilates ball (by that I mean the sticky Mini Fit Ball type size) is one of those love/hate things for backs.

I have a few massage clients at the moment who've been using them in their Pilates classes, and all have aggravated their backs with it. But I know people here have found the ball to be really useful.

Personally I find that if my back is niggling me at all, using the ball will most likely make it flare up. If my back is feeling great, the ball is great! But you really have to watch your technique.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 06:35 PM  
juberann

I used my Pilates ball this morning for some floor ab work and it worked like a charm, no back pain at all (although I did end up having to put some more air in the ball). I actually might start liking floor ab work
Old 11-13-12, 07:19 PM  
slysam

I use to when I was doing Physique 57 a lot since they use a ball in their ab work. I didn't find that it diminishes the effectiveness but that might depend on the exercise. I personally don't prefer on back ab work though I do a little just to make sure I am not leaving anything out, I much prefer stabilizing exercises like planks, bird dogs, etc and some standing ab work.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini ball, pilates mini ball