Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-12, 07:31 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Donna - So sorry you are injured. I doubt that your injury is associated with the instruction of stretching the leg beyond the toes as this is usually done on an unweighted leg (during leg lifts, etc.). There is one type of move in CS that I think can be tricky for hamstring and it involves leaning the upper body forward or to the side while standing with your legs straight. This is done pretty often in their workouts and it is easy to overstretch the hamstrings in this position if you lean out to far. The versions in Essentrics Flexibility Workout for Athletes are particularly challenging in that regard.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 09:11 AM  
TinaT

Classical Stretch has been a huge positive in my life. I have neck and shoulder damage involving some nerves and CS really helps. I too have VERY tight hamstrings. Pretty much the entire back side of my legs are stiff and tight .. CS has helped me .. But I know my limits and have learned not to over stretch.

If you don't have her new Back Pain Relief/Stress Relief I recommend having this one in your collection. It is pure stretching without the challenging exercises. I do this one weekly, sometimes more just to get a great overall stretch in from doing other forms of exercise.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 09:22 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
When you do this workout- M. tells you to pull your leg out really point and stretch it out and I think I must be overstretching while doing those moves? Is that possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I've been doing CS 3x a week, and I've come to the conclusion that Miranda's instructions are often best looked at as exaggerations........ There is a gentle pulling out required but not as extreme as she makes it sound.
Good to hear it isn't just me feeling like her cues are a bit bonkers and over-the-top, and also that I'm not the only one who has hurt myself by trusting that they are accurate.

I've dabbled with Classical Stretch a bit, and injured an oblique muscle following Miranda's cues to keep pull pull pulling and about how things should hurt etc. While I can appreciate that many people have had very good experiences with Classical Stretch, I have had the similar experience to others where they just left me feeling sore and annoyed. Every time I try one of the workouts and listen to the cues I think to myself, "Really? I know you're saying it should hurt, and you're apparently an expert, but this feels like a bad hurt..." and then get annoyed with myself later for not trusting myself when I'm limping around.

Because other people love CS SOOO much, I convinced myself it was something I really needed in my life and kept trying again and again to like it. Now I realize that there is no one workout that works for everyone, and no one workout that is indispensable and so much better than anything else that I should force myself to do it. If you want to persist with Classical Stretch, that's great, but there are other options out there. As far as mind-body/rehabilitative stuff goes, I personally find Qi Gong (especially Lee Holden's stuff) agrees with my body and personality much more.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 09:25 AM  
dnna

Thanks for the replies and good wishes. I am better today. I always warm up with a Leslie or easy cardio tape, and usually do AM stretch with Madeline lewis first thing in the morning( I am retired, 61) so I am very warm and flexible to do the CS workout. I also do a yoga stretch every afternoon-I have a huge yoga/stretch collection. I am very flexible.
so- I think I was just really stretching that leg out and misunderstanding her cue. I was ready to Never do CS again but will try with all the tips on here and see if I can make it work. otherwise, back to Fitprime floorwork and Margaret-Richard-never injured with those. I just wanted to lean out, promises promises.
thanks again

donna
dnna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 09:44 AM  
dickensgirl

Wow, is this a timely & helpful thread. I recently sustained an injury to my left hip (after 2 bouts of trochanteric bursitis on the right side this past year ) I've been too chagrined to tell anyone here that this time, I was doing CS at the time because a. it always felt great in the past & b. it's supposed to be so gentle & therapeutic, etc. So I was embarrassed & thought I must have been doing it wrong...I was halfway through the 1st segment on Season 7 & was doing that "polish a big table" move- carefully, I swear- & suddenly OUCH!!! I was in so much pain I started crying, although I didn't get that hot feeling, like a muscle tear.
Anyways, my PT started talking about muscle imbalances right away, the effect of my flattish feet, needing inserts/ orthotics etc. The doctor this time just said the bursitis again but it feels different somehow.
Jennifer, I will look into the trigger point idea, for sure. But won't that hurt like the dickens while I'm still rehabbing??
I actually have Jill Miller's tune-up balls & some dvds I got in a trade before this, but don't have that audio CD. I've been too afraid this past year to do anything really. This fall I was walking outside in our state park for up to 40 minutes, although my right hip always ached.
It is obvious to me that although I was an active person & exerciser for most of my life, inattention to these structural/muscular imbalances is catching up to me, so I really appreciate the advice here so much.
I see a different ortho Monday as the other was just filling in; its been about 6 weeks & I'm not making the progress I'd hoped for. I will be getting fitted for orthotics, but I wish I could get a head-to-toe evaluation. With PT, you go in with a diagnosis & that's the area they concentrate on...
Edie, how do you remedy a 'yin' or blood deficiency?? I am very open to alternative approaches.
Thanks, everyone, you're the best
-Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:46 AM  
sunday

I'm one of those people who keeps trying to like CS but doesn't. The closest I've come to liking any of it is Sahra's Essentrics and Miranda's Vintage I. However, I have also injured myself using CS. It happened when I first tried it a couple of years ago. It was during one of those pulling to the side moves while standing, and it was my back. My back easily goes out whenever I've tried any further ones, and so I have to be really careful. I finally decided that CS just wasn't for my body.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:20 AM  
MM-Om

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I'm one of those people who keeps trying to like CS but doesn't. The closest I've come to liking any of it is Sahra's Essentrics and Miranda's Vintage I. However, I have also injured myself using CS. It happened when I first tried it a couple of years ago. It was during one of those pulling to the side moves while standing, and it was my back. My back easily goes out whenever I've tried any further ones, and so I have to be really careful. I finally decided that CS just wasn't for my body.
I had the same experience with the standing pulling the the side move. I pulled my back muscles and took me long time to heal. I think you really need to have very strong core to do these without injury. I started with season 4 two years ago and knew right away that these exercises did not feel right for my body. I sold the the season 4, but again got interested in the series after reading all the raves here. So silly me, I got 4 dvds this past december. They were on sale and I figured I will give them another shot. I ordered Vintage Vol 2, Season 7, Back dvd, and Core DVD. I have not done them yet and now I am really scared after reading that I am not the only one getting injured with these. I previewed them and the back dvd looks like something I may enjoy. I don't know why I bought all these dvds but I know I can easily trade/sell them when I am ready.

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, thomas hanna