Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-11, 08:59 PM  
sunday

Lorajc, thanks for the further info! I will check it out.
I have all of Bernadette's workouts, and did use them for a while. I like her circle and ball workout better than the ballet. I was really using the circle workout a lot, but then discovered Karen Voight's, and now only use that. I also like workouts that concentrate a lot on my lower body/legs, etc., and her ball/circle were mostly abs, which I am good with.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:23 PM  
hotncmom

Lorjac, I'm 41 and it would be nice to lose 10 lbs. but my main goal right now is to show more muscle definition in my arms and back. Secondary goal is to lose a bit of body fat on my stomach and thighs. I just ordered Raviana Yoga Beauty Body and am joining in on the Kundalini yoga bandwagon as soon as I get it. I go for PiYo instructor training next weekend, so I've been trying to work on chatarunga, side plank, and balance lately.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:04 AM  
kariev34

I like this thread. I have a question though, do you think one can benefit from doing barre/fusion workouts twice a week or do you think that 3 or more is needed since they are lighter? Iask because I see many of u do a fusion type workout daily
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 09:43 AM  
lorajc

Sunday - also, I'm previeing that Karen Andes Woman Power workout now (have not actually done it yet) and there is drum and other sorts of percussion (and zils) background music....another plus for you! Forgot to mention that it also has a "veil" segment. I bought a chiffon one from Amazon for cheap.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 09:48 AM  
lorajc

hotcnmom- your goals sound about the same as mine!

Kariev - the way I see it is that if you are not working your muscles to failure (meaning overloading with max weight and repping out), than I think it is safe to do consecutive days of weights/cardio with lighter weights or bar workouts. The only time I back off from this is if I get abnormally sore from a workout (which only happens rarely). However, all fusion/barre workouts are not created equal, there are some bar workouts that leave my legs really fatigued (not necessarily sore though) and it would be hard for me to get thru another one on a consecutive day. I think you have to let your body sort of be the judge. Hope that helped.
Old 03-21-11, 09:57 AM  
hotncmom

I agree with lorajc and if I'm sore I'll take a day off. But since I alternate yoga, pilates, and barre/sculpting, I find that I'm rarely sore since the exercises seem to work in different ways.
Old 03-21-11, 11:55 AM  
kariev34

Thank you for your responses but I don't think I made my question clear. Are there any benefits from doing barre/fusion workouts only 2 times per week? I ask because most barre insructors state 3 or more to get max benefits. So say I was doing cardio/yoga 3x's per week and barre/fusion twice per week. Is it enough barre work to tone?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:14 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Thank you for your responses but I don't think I made my question clear. Are there any benefits from doing barre/fusion workouts only 2 times per week? I ask because most barre insructors state 3 or more to get max benefits. So say I was doing cardio/yoga 3x's per week and barre/fusion twice per week. Is it enough barre work to tone?
Yes, I think so. Particularly if you're doing yoga that includes a lot of upper body work, like down dog, plank and chatarunga. I like to work my upper body almost every day with bodyweight stuff like pushups, planks, etc. but on barre workout days I will do the light weights for upper body and TA Mat arms.
Old 03-22-11, 09:41 AM  
lorajc

kariev - I agree with the above post also, but would like to add that it sort of also depends on what "look" you are going for. It seems that yoga works my back and shoulders more so than the triceps/biceps. My upper back and shoulders are pretty ripped, but I'd like to have more definition in my bi's and tri's...thus I would probably not only do 2 days of barre per week, but would add one total weight day or 3 barre workouts for the look I prefer which is more muscular, but like that of a dancer as well. Hope this makes sense.

Tags
fusion, fusion workouts, new method 20/20, rockin body, rockin' body, the method, trudie styler