Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-14, 04:54 PM  
PrairieGem

Unhappy Running outside--why is it so HARD?

I've been running for cardio for just about a month now--mostly indoors (not treadmill) with as many outdoor walk/run intervals as weather (and injury) permitted. When I couldn't run outdoors, I either walked (5 miles) or snowshoed. So I have been getting out there, exercising in the cold & snow. I am SAILING through my indoor runs--I'm up to 35 minutes of solid running, which is about 2.5 miles. During these runs, I also run about 40 flights of stairs. So. I feel like my endurance is pretty good.

But outside--OMG! I am DYING. Two-minute intervals feel like torture, and at this point a four-minute interval--let alone a 5K--seems like a fantasy. I know that part of it is in my head--when I run outside the only thing I can think about is the fact that I'm running, and wondering when I can stop. But besides that? It seriously *physically* feels like I'm out there doing HIIT sprints, not just an easy jog.

I've read lots of articles on indoor vs outdoor running, but they're mostly geared toward treadmills, which I don't use, so one of the primary reasons given--that the motion of the treadmill keeps your hamstrings from having to work as hard--doesn't apply here. And they also say that many runners tend to run faster outside... and OK, yes, my DH did say my laps were pretty fast (maybe a 10-minute mile vs what I'm doing at home)... but if that's the case, what do I *do* about it? It doesn't feel FASTER, it just feels HARDER... and when I slow down, there goes my brain complaining about the run again! (And a slower pace also feels like it's harder on my joints. Which may be imaginary, I'll grant. )

At this point, I'm building up a major dread factor for running outside, which is absolutely the opposite of what I wanted to happen! I do know that a lot of it is mental--this doesn't happen when I run intervals at actual 5ks, with all the camaraderie and "race high"--but that doesn't mean I don't need to figure out how to overcome it!

Help, O VF Running Goddesses?
Thanks!!
(FWIW, I am in other areas a high-intermediate exerciser, with a lot of experience with HIIT and other high-impact cardio... so this feeling is very unusual for me in a workout!!)
Old 01-28-14, 05:11 PM  
mspina

Gem,

Are you running on an indoor track? One difference for sure is that outdoors there are slight terrain changes - nothing is PERFECTLY flat. If you are doing your indoor runs on a track, it could very well be a totally mental thing - you can easily see progress - each lap is measureable progress, and it's easier to stay at a fixed pace because the track is fixed.

Outside, first starting out, I would say, ditch the watch or any other kind of measuring device. Decide to run for time or distance - if time, run where ever you want to run for 1/2 the time, turn around, run back. If distance, map out something ahead of time and go for it. HAVE FUN. Run with music to distract you. I LOVE LOVE LOVE just getting lost in my run and in my playlist. Or run with an audio book. Anything to distract you from the repetitive nature of the run. Or, if you have access, run trails - it's SO beautiful you don't even remember you are running! And SLOW down. If you start to notice that your breathing is getting labored, slow down even more. Take walk breaks. Check your ego at the door and do whatever you need to do to stay at an aerobic pace for a while. Or, mix it up a little and toss in some short sprints for fun. But in between those sprints, SLOW DOWN and just jog it out. After a few weeks, you will absolutely notice improvement in your endurance and speed.

Good luck!!!!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 05:32 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

The first 5-10 minutes is the hardest. After that, it's like MS says, "love just getting lost in my run and in my playlist." The weird thing is that I don't run long miles unless I'm on vacation at my parents or in Hawaii. At home, I'm limited due to running my dogs (3 miles top), so the majority of my cardio is indoors. But I can always run at least 6 miles on vacation, and I LOVE every minute. I never lose cardio capacity.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 06:28 PM  
Tugger31

I was just thinking about this the other day. I am not a runner, but aspire to be some day. I signed up for my 1st 5K which is 3 months away. I have yet to EVER run outside, have only been slowly working up my endurance on the treadmill. I wonder how I'll do in the actual race if I never get to run outside much, I'm a bit worried about that! I dont want to spend a large amount of money on outdoor cold weather running clothes and I dont want to particularly run outside when it is 20 below zero, which it is today (that's the actual temp, no wind chill!) And when Spring finally hits my allergies are so bad I usually have trouble even sitting on my deck let alone running! What was I thinking signing up for this, lol??!!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 07:23 PM  
casey

If I run inside on my treadmill all the time, running outside is hard. If I run outside all the time, I feel like running on my treadmill is hard. I thought I was weird for that issue! I find that if I run outside at least once a week, I am fine with any outside running.

It's mental as well as physical. If you work through it, you will find that at a certain point in your run, you will stop thinking about how hard it is and just go on automatic and enjoy it. I need to be running regularly to feel this way but I love when that happens.

I don't put pressure on myself about my pace either. Some days are hard and some are easy. Some days I have a stitch in my side the whole run and others my legs just go and I feel great.

HTH Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 07:26 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I am a member of a runner's forum and we just discussed this topic!

The general consensus among a lot of runners is that treadmill running is harder than outside running. Has to do with pushing yourself off of a moving platform as opposed to a solid road under your feet. You'd think it would be the other way around, but not so.

I find I can easily run about a 8 to 8.5 minute mile outside, including lots of hills. On my treadmill I run about 6.2 mph which is just under a 10 minute mile.

There are a few runners that I've talked to that find the opposite of me, but most experience the same thing I do! So Gem, I hope you are among the majority and find that when you run outside you'll fly like the wind!
Old 01-28-14, 07:32 PM  
casey

I just wanted to add that I used to run in Chicago, I would try to dress in several thin layers but not overdress. I also would take a very thin flat scarf and wrap it very loosely around my face from my nose down. The air I breathed would be warmer from doing it. I didn't run if it was really icy. Be careful! Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 07:59 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

It's the first mile that's the hardest for me.

DH Skyped me and he ran in Ethiopia. He's there on business trip. He likes to use MapMyRun and collect all these routes from all over the world. That's one of his motivations to run. Of course, a cute pair of running shoes can do the trick too.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 08:00 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

It sounds to me like you just take off too fast outside! I do the same thing!

I suggest try using a metronome when you run inside, or just count your steps for a minute at a time, and find out what your cadence is. Then use the metronome to hold yourself to that same cadence outside.

I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out that I just RAN FASTER outside! Now that I'm aware of it, my experience is more like others have said, that running outside is easier (because yeah, there are uphills, but there are also DOWNHILLS which you don't get indoors and boy are they fun! )

If you can, try running outdoors once a week. That's enough to get and keep your joints conditioned to the rougher terrain/different surface/etc.

On edit, sorry, that last bit of advice about running outdoors once a week was for TUGGER. Tugger, I can't run outdoors all the time because the roads here are very crowned, so I am running with one foot lower than the other. It makes my hips ache like crazy! So I only run outside once a week but that seems to be enough to keep me conditioned to it. When it gets a little warmer, once a week should be enough to get you ready for your 5K!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 08:13 PM  
pattyd0319

I suggest bring a watch and if you feel like you are getting too winded, take a look and see if you are not pushing the pace too hard. Most times when I feel winded and check my pace, I'm usually running much faster than I expected. Countless times I have glanced down at my watch and thought no wonder, I'm winded, I need to slow it down or I'm not going to make it!' If you don't want to use a running watch or phone app to keep any eye on your pace, try to slow it down to a comfortable pace. Eventually you will adapt and running outside will feel easier. With a treadmill, I can settle into the pace but outside, I'm so focused on going forward that I don't pay attention to my pace and even with the hills and wind resistance, I tend to push myself more.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5k training, running, running outside