Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-12, 12:15 PM  
sc42905

Lower back pain - help!

Hi there,
I'm a lurker coming out of hiding and hoping to find some help. About a month ago, I started working out faithfully again. I lost 25 lbs. 8 years ago with the Firm (BSS 1&2) and I started working out with the Firm again. Although I've struggled with soreness, I've been feeling stronger and leaner. Unfortunately, I wrenched my lower back on Tuesday. I was doing some fast weighted squats from BSS 3 and I think I wasn't paying proper attention to form. I hurt my lower back every few years, it seems. Anyways, I'm realizing I need to make strengthening my lower back a priority. This strain is also making me realize that my core is extremely weak. Does anyone have any suggestions for workouts that strengthen the lower back and core? I like the Firm but also enjoy yoga and fusion workouts. I also wondered if exercises that have a functional fitness focus help reduce this from happening again. I was looking at the TLT's videos and wondering if they would help.

Any advice and insight to this newbie would be greatly valued and appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Edie
sc42905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 12:31 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch--especially Season 8 and her Core workout. There are new workouts out by Sahra, also.

To keep my back pain free I do a combination of Classical Stretch, walking, Ellen Barrett and a few other fusion workouts. I used to do Firm, CLX, well, everything. The tall box work is really hard on my lower back.

I'd do a search on Classical Stretch and check out some Youtube clips. Stop in the Barefoot on the Mat and/or Classical Stretch Check Ins, too.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 12:42 PM  
sc42905

Thank you, Jackie! I appreciate your help. I will check out Classical Stretch. I've never heard of it before. And I hadn't thought about tall box climbs irritating the back but they could definitely be a culprit for me, too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
Old 06-01-12, 12:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I highly recommend Jill Miller's Coregeous. I have been having low back issues and it has helped me. I love Jill's work, she takes a "whole body" approach to dealing with problems. I have a lot of her dvds and like them all. Here is a link to two thorough and excellent vf reviews: http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=4149

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 01:02 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Pam, I have Coregeous. What sections should I do?

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 01:07 PM  
sc42905

Thanks for the Coreageous recommendation. The dvd looks like a really great value! I love that she has a workout just for the lower back. I would love to get some relief. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Edie
Old 06-01-12, 01:23 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Jackie - I have done the first two segments, haven't gone further yet as my back is bothering me and she recommends taking it slow if you are having issues. I found both very helpful to loosen up tight spots and start to strengthen the core. Jill is big on stressing how things are all connected and you need to work on areas around the core as well as the core area itself. I plan on moving on the the last two segments soon.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 06-01-12, 01:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Edie - Jill's Quick Fix dvds are also very good for short segments that are very area specific.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 06-01-12, 01:39 PM  
sc42905

Thanks, yogapam. I will check those out, too. These are great recommendations that I would never have found on my own. Thanks again, Jackie and Pam! Can't wait to get started on these.

One more question - do either of you (or anyone else out there!) have any experience with functional fitness workouts? I've read these workouts can help with lifting, which is how I injured my back in the past. Just curious if anyone has found success with these types of workouts, too.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help and advice.
Old 06-01-12, 01:46 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Jackie - I have done the first two segments, haven't gone further yet as my back is bothering me and she recommends taking it slow if you are having issues. I found both very helpful to loosen up tight spots and start to strengthen the core. Jill is big on stressing how things are all connected and you need to work on areas around the core as well as the core area itself. I plan on moving on the the last two segments soon.
I've done every segment on the disc and I think all of it's great. I've been working all of the material into my own routine, in parts -- one part a day. The third section, "incoreporate", is particularly good for strengthening the lower back, but yes, there is more to the core than the mid-section . It would be a shame to isolate just one section of this really useful disc. Though there's no harm in doing one section more often.

But definitely, the sequences are complementary. Even the extra segments are surprisingly useful.

My own teacher, Jonathan Fitzgordon, has a lot of great stuff re: core on his blog:

http://blog.corewalking.com/category/core/

(For him the core includes the perineum.)
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back issues, core, low back, low back pain, lower back