Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-11, 05:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I'm another who did not do the 1 rep max and lifted my heaviest ever at the end of Meso 3. However, I had been doing weight lifting on and off for years, probably similar to Meso 2. So I knew how many reps I could do at the max wts I'd been doing. I used that as a guide.

I never tried to go 60% of what I though was my max on Meso 1 though. I don't think I would have made it through those workouts with that much weight. I did increase my weights every week.

And I really don't think that 1 rep max stuff is the magic Cathe made it out to be. It did make people REALLY challenge themselves though, and that is the secret to increased strength.

I don't mean to be contrary, but I think Meso 1 has just too many reps to make a difference in Mesos 2 and 3. Endurance is not going increase your strength for shorts sets with heavier weights very much. Do it, heck yeah, but the real strength gains came with mesos 2 and 3.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 06:10 PM  
Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
This was my experience too. I didn't do all of the 1RM tests - just the ones that were rated most highly.
My experience as well. I did the 1RM tests that were rated the highest, then added my work as I went (Cathe's online rotation calendar system will calculate a 1RM based on what you've done for a workout.)
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 11:19 AM  
Fidget Queen

Well, wow. I think I was hoping that everybody would scream that I didn't need the 1 Rep Max! After reading everybody's experiences and thinking about where I am, I think I'd better do it. I have not been a great exerciser for awhile now, so I feel like I wouldn't quite know where or by how much I should push myself.

And it's so true. I have a major dread factor about completing the 1 Rep Max, but, really, I'm sure it's not as bad as I'm thinking it will be. I just need to do it, get it over with, and then I have a guide for the next few months.

How long did it tend to take you guys? The interesting thing will be that my endurance is better than my strength, so my 1 Rep Max will probably not be very Max!

Thank you for the information! Very helpful.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 11:23 AM  
PhyllisG

Just get started. Once I started it went fairly fast. I too dreaded it but it went better than I expected and I learned something about what I could actually lift. I really didn't dread it once I got started. It sounded more of a chore than it actually turned out to be. Plus if you are going to do the STS program, trust Cathe to give you good advice and suggestions such as 1RM.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 02:38 PM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
I did the tests the first time through, but did not retest for additional rotations of STS. I think it helps tremendously to do the tests and to have an idea of where you should be lifting, there are a lot of weight changes, and just guessing I thought would have been pretty tough to get it right. Part of the program is about gaining strength, and a lot of people tend to lift lighter than they can, having those numbers written down kept me honest.

I never kept my eating quite right while doing these rotations, so did not have much weight loss, but I definitely noticed increased definition and strength.
I totally agree with everything posted here. I did the 1RM tests for my first rotation but did not repeat it for subsequent rotations - although I might do that in the future.
Old 08-06-11, 07:41 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I told myself I couldn't start STS until I completed the 1RM. Still working my way through them....I find it tedious and it is taking me FOREVER. I do think when I eventually finish, it will be very helpful in making myself use higher weights than I otherwise would.

I can't EVER imagine myself doing 1RM retests.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 07:45 PM  
caligurl

i did the 1RM before i did STS.... still hated the whole b.o.r.i.n.g program... but i did do the 1RM...
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 08:01 PM  
dela

I turned them into one of my weight workouts for the week, I alternated upper and lower exercises, to make sure each body part got enough rest and just did them until I felt I had done enough for the day, usually spent 1 to 1.5 hour for each session. I did do them on the weekends so I could go slower and have extra time. It was so long ago, but I think I spread them out over a course of 4-6 weekends (but only did it once a week). This was during the presale period, so there was not as much "urgency" to get them done.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 01:44 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

When I did STS the first time I did 1RM on the 4 and 5 starred exercises - and a few 3's that I wasn't sure about. Then I filled in all of my worksheets as I went through. If you keep your worksheets and enter how you did on the workout manager, it will calculate the 1RM for you as you go along, so you will eventually have 1RM info for all exercises.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 05:34 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

For my first rotation with STS, I didn't do the 1 RM, but I did print the sheet for it from Cathe.com (I think it's in the workout manager). Then I highlighted the ones that were recommended and gave it my best guess. I then entered that weight into the workout manager for STS, so when I printed my worksheets for the day, I had a pretty good idea of what I'd need. There usually wasn't much discrepancy, and I'd always made a note to go heavier or lighter if needed. I keep all of my STS worksheets in a 3-Ring binder separated into Mesos so I can easily flip back and forth if I need a quick check.

I'm in finishing week 2 of Meso 2 for my 3rd go-round with STS. I need a lot of focus to do this program, but the results are worth it. I really enjoy this series, and think that Cathe is great in it.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1rm, cathe, cathe friedrich, sts, sts weights