Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-20, 01:46 AM  
bex

Post surgery recovery workouts?

A few weeks ago I had surgery to remove a small tumor from my lower colon.

Luckily it was early stage and hadn’t started to spread, so the surgery and recovery are straight forward. I won’t need chemo or anything. I’m lucky, and I’m good for the next few years until they check again.

So, anyone been through a similar process who could advise me on workouts they used during the recovery period? I’d recently been loving Hannah Eden or LIIFT HIIT workouts and kettlebells. But those are definitely out for a few months.

Most of the typical recovery workouts draw from gentle Pilates or Yoga. But these require stretching and core work that are exactly what I shouldn’t do for the next month.

Any ideas?
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 06:53 AM  
Erica H.

I've had two resections with open surgery.

I used this as a guideline for returning to workouts:
https://4afsfit.com/exercising-after...ect-your-guts/

I was extremely careful due to the risk of hernia. I did a lot of workouts using no weights or very light weights (no more than 3 pounds at first). I used a lot of youtube workouts like barlates, Margaret Richards, and Tracy Campoli. I got some Tracy Anderson workouts from the library and some others as well.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your recovery!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 07:07 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Bex, I wish you the very best for a fast and full recovery {{HUGS}}.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 07:27 AM  
sherry7899

Bex, sending you hugs! <3

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 08:34 AM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post

I used this as a guideline for returning to workouts:
https://4afsfit.com/exercising-after...ect-your-guts/
Thank you Erica. This is really helpful!

I was thinking of Margaret Richards and yes, maybe this is the time to give Tracy Anderson another try.

Thanks for the good wishes Pat and Sherry.
Old 08-01-20, 09:40 AM  
Dontmindthemess

Bex I just want to wish you a speedy recovery!!!

If Tracy puts you off but you like that style I found Romney Studio workouts to be a similar flavor. They’re streaming only.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 10:22 AM  
mtngoat

Bex, I hope for your speedy and full recovery. Erica, best wishes for continued healing.

I was also going to recommend Margaret Richards. As has been said before - her workouts are safe and effective (sneakily so!). She'll work those muscles with a smile on her face and a lilt in her voice!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 10:43 AM  
AnMrsDe

Hi Bex! Good to see you back and glad to hear everything went well with your surgery. Wishing you a very quick recovery!

https://www.angiefitness.tv/workout-programs
AngieFitnessTV has some good short and easier workouts that you may enjoy that might be gentle for you. You can always modify if needed. Then, there's always Leslie! Take care!

Erica, thanks for sharing that guideline....very helpful!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 12:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i hope you recover quickly - thanks for sharing your situation with us, and welcome back.

i would look at threads that discuss c-sections since the area is in the same vicinity. i tagged this thread.

that said - there's now a variety of seated and chair workouts. one of my favorites is Leslie's short cuts UB & LB - it's on 1 DVD. it's done on a chair. she has an abs one in the series and it's sold as a separate DVD, and that one is obviously out until you're fully recovered.

i think gentle walking would also fit the bill.

another important, sometimes overlooked, is the mental fitness. i had recovered from a major surgery 10 years ago, and what comes with surgery is depression, unfortunately. and this is an ideal time to try meditation, guided meditation, breath work, progressive relaxation, body alignment and posture too.

i really found a new avenue of fitness with meditation, and it has a profound effect on your body's recovery and even dietary mindset.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 07:37 PM  
bex

Thanks everyone for the support and the suggestions.

I only wish I could do Leslie workouts. I can’t stand them.

But any recommendations for specific chair or post-pregnancy workouts, keep em coming!

And bzar, great lateral thinking about c-sections and hysterectomies having similar recovery issues.

And yes, it’s time to devote more time to my mindfulness practice.

Tags
abdominal surgery, c-section, restarting, surgery