Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-03-20, 11:15 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Cardio Overdrive... DONE!

I have always had a love/hate relationship with this workout. Some days I hate it, some days I love it. I always was kinda on the "hate" side because they use weights and do lunges and squats, and before when I would do this I would be doing a 2 day split, or Firm workouts, and I wouldn't want to fatigue my legs so I would not like this workout. However, since Body Beast only does legs one day a week, I thought this is probably like a Body Beast cardio light, and I did it. I used 3 pound weights and enjoyed it. My heart rate wasn't up real high at all, but that's OK.

I have lots of sore muscles from my body beast, including my legs, so this light day will hopefully help work all the through and out!! It was a fun workout today. I guess that goes to show, what I didn't like yesterday I do like today. So that's why I hoard workouts. Right???

Yesterday ended up being a busy day. We met some friends for swimming. We had to make a reservation, could only swim for 1.5 hours, and then had to get out so they could sanitize everything. They even had to sanitize all the chairs, which was silly since no one was sitting in them. Everyone was in the pool since we only had 1.5 hours!

Afterwards we ate lunch with our friends at the park, and LB left with one of the families to go to their house to play. I went to the store, then went to their house to get LB. I ended up talking to the parents for a while, and finally left. My car was ready at 5, so we filled up the rental and went and got my car!!! It looks so nice. The bumper looks totally new! It's the only part of the car without chipped paint from little rocks and hail. HA! So pretty though. They guy that was the lead mechanic (or whatever they call themselves) was so kind and attentive. I wish I could use them for more stuff! but, thankfully, I will not use them much since they fix cars after accidents.

So we got our car, and it's all nice and pretty and detailed like I haven't seen since we first bought it. Love it. Then we ran home, ate, and went to bible study for the evening. It was very busy! Today we don't have much planned. I am going to the store for fun food for the weekend, then we will go to DH's new shop and see how they're doing there. He's still gone morning till night, but last night he actually got home about 10pm. Early night for him.

I was under my calories by about 300, and DH brought us home a yummy quesadilla from Qdoba, which I have never eaten at. It was good! And I'm sure put me over my calories. I only had one wedge of it, and finished LB's wedge so maybe another 1/4, but it was worth it. Really good! Lots of veggies in it too!

We have slept in the tent for the last 2 nights, and as much as I thought I would hate it and be uncomfortable, it's actually been pretty comfy. I am enjoying it! The older dog sleeps with us too, and he really wants my bed. As soon as I am out of it, he's in it. he loves sleeping outside though!

Eventmom: I thought it would be weird that you were retiring but didn't really say anything about it!! DH and I have agreed that this is his last move. Either this works at this location or the shop is done. After the lease is done, he either re-signs with the same space, or he closes up the shop. Whether that means he keeps the business and contracts out the work, or just closes completely, that's something we will deal with then. But this is kinda the shops do or die time!!

I hope you guys both have a good, and hopefully long, holiday weekend! We are going to a party tomorrow afternoon, but otherwise nothing special. The parade, pancake breakfast, and fun run are all canceled, so it's gonna be quiet in the 'hood.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 01:21 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 2.1 day 6 + 20 min TA

buzzer - I think my posts are kind of confusing since I sort just type stream of conscious. DH and I talk about retirement a lot and have because some parts of my job have been unpleasant (unfair) for several years. But as dual career we couldn't change jobs. But after this academic year it is feasible for me. DH is 10 years old than me and worked at our U for 9 years while I worked elsewhere so his retirement is very possible and has been - he will get a full pension. I'll get partial as I won't have worked long enough. But with most of my health insurance covered it becomes possible for me. Hope your DH likes his new space and it all works out - I would think it would be stressful.

hi ebianco!

stay safe this holiday!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 10:40 AM  
Buzzer

Body Beast Bulk back... DONE!
5 day abs, day 3... DONE!

I liked this one. Very short though! Part of me is thinking of combining two workouts, like chest and back or back and bis then chest and tris... but I will do it as written. I like working out for an hour, so it's actually a struggle to look up and my workout time is only 25 or 30 minutes!

I added on day 3 of 5 day abs, and it was OK. For some reason it was hard, but I think that's just because I had worked out my back so hard. I am loving body beast this time!!

Yesterday we ended up having friends over. The lady up the street came over with 3 of her kids, and we chatted. When she left, another friend came over with her 2 kids, and she left them here which was so nice. I needed to go to DH's shop in the evening, and their house is on the way, so I just dropped them off on our way.

It was a nice day. I had to vacuum my workout room before I could use it, because I am seriously low on snacks and only had popcorn to give them, which of course ends up everywhere. so I guess I got a little extra warm up in with vacuuming!

Today everything is canceled. No fun run. No pancake breakfast. No helicopter visit. No fire department tearing apart a car or setting a car on fire. No crazy amounts of kids at the community park. No parade. One of the neighbors is having a party at 2, so we will go there. Sad though. One of the seniors in our 'hood, this is his favorite day. He loves to visit with everyone at the pancake breakfast and looks forward to it all year. I am really sad for him because he is very sick and I'm afraid he won't live to see next years breakfast.

As much as I'd like to say "well, next year!!!" it's hard to knowing that my friend may not have next year

So we will do what we can, and at least go to the party. I bought some crap food to eat today, and will grill hamburgers. We slept in the tent again last night, and the puppy barked at 3:15am, and the dog in our tent answered him. "Woof!" says the puppy. "woof." says the big dog. repeat. Then the big dog sat on me, wanted to be pet, and went into overprotective mode in case the puppy was right and got as close as he could to me and layed down. I was awake then. Hopefully I get a nap later!!

Eventmom; I usually do stream of consciousness too, but I'm sure you can tell that from my posts! HA! So far DH likes the new space much better. The restaurants around him are more healthy, there's a grocery store in the same complex, and he just feels better there. It's also so far busier! Which is awesome. Hopefully it serves him good to be there and once the lease is up, if all is going good, he will be there for 35 years like the last people were!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 07-04-20, 12:53 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy 4th everyone,

I'm catching up from my week:

Wednesday: Firm Volume 4. Fast and sweet and perfect for my first workout day.

Thursday: I was feeling pretty rundown but I tried to do some rebound cardio with Firm G-Force 1 and then I did Pure Barre Flex 30, the full first workout. I haven't done the Flex 30 DVD in a really long time! I just put it away thinking 30 minutes is not enough, but it was absolutely perfect. I'm still feeling a bit tired this week so I will do Flex 30 the second workout probably tomorrow.

Friday: CS 1003 a standing episode for spine stretch/strengthen. Perfect for a recovery day!

Today: Firm Tortoise. I decided this workout would be perfect if they did both sets of abs together at the end (that's how I do it but I have to backtrack with the remote), and if Susan did all of the cardio and not just the Charleston, which is my favorite from all the cardio. But I do really love this workout!

Personals later. Happy 4th to you both!
Old 07-04-20, 02:29 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - TA 2.1 day 7 hip, found a gina b (up to the best fitness) free on amazon prime. There are actually many workouts free on prime, I'm trying to make notes when I find some.

buzzer - sounds like a good move for the store!

ebianco - sorry you were feeling worn down, hope the cs helped with recovery.

well we have postponed our NM trip b/c anyone coming in from out state has to quarantine for 2 weeks. I've cried a few times about this. I really really need the mental break of being there and trail riding. I'm not sure what they could do, but dh seems to think we'll get pulled over for broken tail light, they will discover we are from oklahoma, and throw us in jail - or something like that. in all likelihood we'd be sent home (to our house in NM and what else would we be doing anyway?)
Old 07-05-20, 10:09 AM  
Buzzer

Body Beast Bulk Shoulders... DONE!

this was a good one. I used too heavy of weights for a few of the exercises (Arnold press and posterior delt raise for sure!) but I told myself I will still do the same weights next time, and aim to finish. It was good! I would rather do too heavy than too light, honestly. At least I can push myself then.

I took longer rests, of course, than Sagi does, and did the reps slower. I just don't like fire drill reps, and I am figuring out I am enough of a follower that I feel like I need to follow him exactly... when his rep is up, mine needs to be up. His is down, mine needs to be down. It's hard, because then I focus more on where I am in space with the rep than the actual rep and how it's working. So, I pause and do it at my pace, then rest with them. It is making it more pleasant of a workout for me!

My delts are comfortably tired now. I was a little sore in them before I started from the back work, but I was able to push through anyhow.

I am really enjoying body beast though!

we went to the party yesterday, and it was pretty much everyone we hang out with anyhow. It was fun though. LB made a new friend in the neighborhood so I got another Mom phone number. My car for some reason lost contact with the key fob once we stopped at the party, so I called DH to grab the other one. He got there, the other key fob didn't work. I called AAA, they showed up... it was working. I was so mad that we made the guy show up for nothing, but he changed the batteries in the fobs, talked to DH, and said it was fine because it was a beautiful drive and he was out and about anyhow. He did say to start the car with the fob next time (I have push button start) and that should reset it. Hopefully I never have to test that option!! So annoying.

Eventmom: so do you need to quarantine in NM when you get there, or at home in OK before you go? How do they know if you did or not? I heard Florida or some state did that too, and I wondered how that worked. Do you have to register with them in advance or something?

Ebianco: so good to see you! Hows your knee? still doing good? I love the Charleston too. I always add a little bounce to it because I love it!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 07-06-20, 01:03 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 2.1 day 8 + popstar which I wasn't working too hard at because this TA level is sort of kicking my butt

Buzzer - you have to quarantine for 2 weeks once you get there. of course how do they enforce that? but dh is sure something terrible would happen to us if we flaunted the rules to go to the grocery store. anyway, I'm not handling it too well.

ebianco - I think you mentioned using a barre for TA and this level I am pulling out my barre for two of the moves. Tracy is much shorter than me and I just need something a bit higher for a couple of moves.
Old 07-07-20, 09:47 AM  
Buzzer

Body Beast Bulk Chest.. DONE!

I did this one pretty much without Sagi. I would use him to see what the exercise was, then do it myself. I took longer rests so I could use heavier weights. I know that defeated the purpose of some of the combinations, but that's OK. I'm not looking to "beast up" anyhow, just get muscle!

I have an old shoulder injury (rotator cuff) that I got from incline chest presses, so I tend to guard and tighten my chest muscles more on that exercises. I still feel it, and although I know it's scar tissue at this point, I still watch it close.

I forgot that the final set of decline pushups/airplane thing/ and Russian twists were supposed to be done together, so I had Sagi paused and did 3 sets of decline pushups. I unpaused him, and he did the airplane thing (on the floor) after set 1, and Russian twists after set 2, so I did the airplane thing, then did 2 sets of Russian twists on the bench so I could raise my feet up. It was a great workout!

I don't know if I was just less bloated yesterday, or if I have lost just enough, or what, but I actually wore a skirt that fit last year but is tight and uncomfortable this year yesterday!! I wore it all day and it did not become uncomfortable! I actually didn't even change in to my jammies at 6 or 7 pm because I was so uncomfortable... instead, I wore it all the way up to bedtime!! I was good!! So happy. I don't know if it's because I took a rest day so my body wasn't swollen (although that's never happened before), if I have lost just enough, or I got some ginger and some turmeric tincture that I am putting into my water with some apple cider vinegar. I have been drinking that a few days... maybe that's the difference.

I am noticing a little more definition in my upper body, and couple that with the wearing of the skirt yesterday, I am happy! I hope it keeps up. I am trying not to get my hopes up, but maybe this return to super heavy lifting is where I should have been all along.

I am dreading leg day tomorrow, but in the 30 something years I have been working out, I always dread legs.

LB and I have slept in the tent now 5 or 6 nights in a row. Last night it got so windy! I woke up at 1am, and LB woke up briefly too. It was a crazy wind. I went out and opened some of the "windows" (flaps on the rain fly) to try to get the air to blow through instead of just against the tent and being so loud... it worked. The wind was so warm though. Not a nice cool breeze. I looked, and today is supposed to be 90 up here (which means in town it's probably gonna be about 100). the house never cooled down, it's already 73 in the house which is what it usually is before I reopen the windows in the evening. Gonna be a hot day.

Eventmom: I see your husbands point, but I would still be tempted to go! I guess I figure if everyone is wearing masks anyhow, what difference does it make if you quarantine or just wear a mask if you go out? Aren't the masks enough? I guess I don't understand. I'm sure someone who made the rule knows more than me, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

yesterday we had parent practicum for CC at my new directors house, so LB got to play all afternoon. We went and got sonic, then we got our first ever pedicures, and LB got a mani/pedi. I didn't really like it. First of all she must have pulled out sock fuzz that's been there since 1982, and second seeing someone come at me with those poky sharp things that she used, and the sticks and a giant cheese grater, made me tense. I couldn't understand what they were saying, and there was only one lady there that spoke English, but they were all super nice (I think) and probably talked about my "winter feet" as I call them, before they all left for the day.

I just shove my feet into socks and sneakers all the time anyhow, but it was probably good to have the experience. LB loved it, but honestly she does a better pedicure and I can do a good mani/pedi for her. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Today all we have planned is violin.... which as I know can always change and we could end up with a super busy day. But, hopefully it stays low key and we can clean the house and figure out how to cool down!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 07-07-20, 11:03 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

migraine.

ttapp basic + and a gina b 20 min.

buzzer - masks greatly reduce the spread of the disease but they are not 100% effective. Given how high the infection rates are in AZ and TX - neighboring states where lots of out of state visitors live - I think they were trying to avoid making the 4th of july weekend a super spreader event. And even with the mask order in place state wise - my friend who is an artist and helps in the shop where her work is sold, she asked two women to put the masks over their noses, they got rude and left the shop. So although we aren't like that, I think they were trying to discourage people.

hi ebianco!
Old 07-08-20, 10:00 AM  
Buzzer

Body Beast Bulk Legs.. DONE!

I love/hate this workout! It really works my legs, but I hate leg day. Luckily Sagi acknowledges that no one likes leg day, so that made me feel better. I don't think I did anything but the warm up and force set with him. Otherwise I did it all my pace on my own. I'm sure next week when I do the workouts I will be watching a movie or something again since I'll know the exercises!

For the squats I was using my heavy weights on my shoulders, and realized that I should do this on my leg press. I like squats because they work your whole body since you are holding the weights, however since there are all the other exercises where I'm holding the weights, I think I will do squats on the leg press next time. I just felt too tired in my traps holding the 35's on my shoulders for 12 reps... I did good doing 15x, 12x, then 8x, but on the way down it just wasn't doing it for me. I switched to the leg press machine and felt so much better! I could focus on the work and not the shoulder issues and balancing the weights.

I went slower, wore my 20 lb vest for the whole thing, and enjoyed it more than I did when I went with Sagi last week.

Well into week 2 of block 2! I wore another skirt that fit last year but not this year yesterday. It wasn't quite as comfortable, but it was fine!! So I guess I've lost somewhat of my girth. I'm keeping it up!!

It was so hot yesterday. LB and I bought "Payday", a board game I remember from when I was young, at goodwill so we played that a lot. we melted in the house otherwise. It was 80 degrees in the house. way too hot!! I am gonna see if I can dig out one of the portable A/C's we got when LB was a baby. At least get some cool air going!

I am noticing tone in my arms, and today I noticed some in my legs, so I am happy! It's bringing back memories of when I was a heavy lifter. I liked some of the workouts I did that were non-heavy lifting, but I think I spent way too much time doing them and I am really happy to be back. Even though I will forever remind myself that I swore would never lift heavy again. I think it's what my body needed.

I reminded myself today too that, while I am doing my reps at my speed and feeling kinda like I should be going at Sagi's speed, I am not looking to "bulk" and going at my speed has always served me well in the past. Plus I enjoy it more. I keep reminding myself of that.

Eventmom: I guess that kinda makes sense. I'm still not convinced quarantine is the way to go, but if it's what the state is doing, I guess I kinda get it. This all just seems kinda convoluted sometimes. It's hard to keep up on the what we are doing and why!!!

I don't think we have anything going on today. might be a good day to stay indoors and groom the dogs!

Ebianco: I hope you are doing well. And that your stress isn't too overwhelming. I think about you a lot! Between the stress and the knee, I'll be doing something and feel my knee and wonder about yours. DH's stress has been insane for the last month or so with his new shop remodel and move from old shop, and I've been thinking of yours too. Hopefully things even out for you
JNL DONE! 5/12/14