Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-20, 08:21 AM  
donnamp

Lori - based on what you said about your history of weight gain, it definitely sounds like your hormones get out of whack and that is what is causing most of this- just wish they could find answers for you as I imagine it must be beyond frustrating not to mention uncomfortable.

Linda - that is great advice - I think Jessica Smith gives similar advice about how you should feel after working out. Sure, I imagine it is fine once in a while to go all out - but if doing so repeatedly makes you feel chronically worn out it is probably not the best thing to do for your body.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 01:56 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Have any of you been checked for uterine fibroids? That might explain at least some of the weight gain. I'm not a medical professional so I don't know if having them shows up in blood tests or not.

I had them and they really do make your perimenopause miserable. They also made me look like I was 3 months pregnant. They are very common and noncancerous. I had a hysterectomy, but there are now ways of removing them while keeping your uterus.
Old 06-09-20, 02:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Have any of you been checked for uterine fibroids? That might explain at least some of the weight gain. I'm not a medical professional so I don't know if having them shows up in blood tests or not.

I had them and they really do make your perimenopause miserable. They also made me look like I was 3 months pregnant. They are very common and noncancerous. I had a hysterectomy, but there are now ways of removing them while keeping your uterus.
My gyn checked for fibroids last year and I also had two ultrasounds on my uterus and ovaries at the same appt. I also had a couple ultrasounds on my abdomen when I had my gallbladder taken out last fall, and I had a full body CT scan last spring too. I didn't have any at the time. I still had some cysts on my ovaries, and he was convinced I was still ovulating about a year ago now. But no evidence of fibroids, although things could have changed in a year. Now that doctors are reopening in my area, I'm going to go back for my yearly gyn exam sometime in the next couple months.

I think my recent weight gain is the perfect storm of overdoing it with workouts, changing my diet too drastically, and likely getting my period within the next week. Just too much for delicate 46-year-old self now. Last night I had terrible chills (I get chills instead of hot flashes) and woke up in a panic at 6 am with bizarre racing thoughts. Bad headache all day, barely able to do much today. Perimenopause PMS is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 03:04 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I think my recent weight gain is the perfect storm of overdoing it with workouts, changing my diet too drastically, and likely getting my period within the next week. Just too much for delicate 46-year-old self now. Last night I had terrible chills (I get chills instead of hot flashes) and woke up in a panic at 6 am with bizarre racing thoughts. Bad headache all day, barely able to do much today. Perimenopause PMS is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.
With our hormones going up and down, I sometimes wonder if the changes we do to lose weight worsen the situation, that change (the extra stress, whether it's physical or mental) being too much for our bodies. I also noticed that when my estrogen goes too high, I gain weight (but don't lose it when it decreases).

You might be interested in reading Sara Gottfried's book, The hormone cure. I'm not sure everything is always scientific (her questionnaires for example) but she explains the changes we go through, the interactions between hormones and offers some advice on food or lifestyle changes. Maybe, it would help you.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 05:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
With our hormones going up and down, I sometimes wonder if the changes we do to lose weight worsen the situation, that change (the extra stress, whether it's physical or mental) being too much for our bodies. I also noticed that when my estrogen goes too high, I gain weight (but don't lose it when it decreases).

You might be interested in reading Sara Gottfried's book, The hormone cure. I'm not sure everything is always scientific (her questionnaires for example) but she explains the changes we go through, the interactions between hormones and offers some advice on food or lifestyle changes. Maybe, it would help you.
Thanks for the book recommendation! I think I read that one but I've read so many that I can't remember. Also losing my memory! I've tried so many things over the years that I am always looking for something that may work. Oddly enough the only thing has really kept weight off for me was a lot of higher intensity exercise. Sigh.

I wonder if for those of us with estrogen sensitivity if it's futile to think of losing this weight until periods stop entirely. I still have some degree of regular periods (btwn 25-45 days though lately) and my peri symptoms are also still erratic (I did two months in a row that weren't horrible, this month though is beyond bad). Double sigh.
Old 06-12-20, 04:31 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Just checking back in, I did end up getting my period, so I can contribute the weight gain to that. I also discovered that my vitamin D oil changed ingredients on me and I didn't realize that they started including some other oils in that are way too estrogenic for me until I thoroughly read the label. So I've been slathering that on in amounts that are way too much for my poor system in the past few months. I ditched that immediately.

I am going to go for acupuncture next week and hopefully that can give me some relief. It always has in the past, it's how I ended up pregnant 15 years ago after years of trying. At the very least, it's relaxing and my acupuncturist is really skilled. I haven't been in 10 years, and now I'm wondering why the heck I didn't think of this sooner!

Kept up my simple walking and a few Ellens/CS this week while trying to feel better. Going to try P.Volve in the next few weeks (thanks Diana!).
Old 06-12-20, 10:23 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

..if after you exercise you feel tired and worn out instead of invigorated, then it means you still need to focus on low intensity workouts to soothe that system.

For me, she was right on point. I let that storm ride
I now have days when I up intensity without it wrecking havoc on my system. I continue to listen to my body regarding rest days and feel good days.
This is fantastic advice

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 04:01 PM  
Bebop

OMG. I have read every post and am in the same boat.

I finally hit menopause. I have a small frame - short waisted and now for the first time I have a belly - thank goodness I have very strong abs.

My diet always was healthy - if I overate a bit - I cut back the next day and worked out more. Not working now. LOL I have heard it is not good to cut back calories too low during menopause - it's counterproductive. I have read everything like everyone else. I know DIET is the key. without going into forbidden territory - the diets that eliminate most of one food group is difficult for me.

I've heard low intensity is better than high intensity. But I find the endorphine rush from doing longer high intensity or even modifiable Hiit makes me feel good.

So, what's the answer. Is it an individual thing or is variety the spice?
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 05:02 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Well, I'm almost 57 and have struggled with my weight most of my life. On top of that, I'm perimenopausal and hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), and when I went to immediate care yesterday to have a broken toe looked at, I found out that I now weigh far more than I ever have in my life.

I am really at my wits' end. I have a primary care doctor and an endocrinologist, but they just want to shunt me off to WW or a nutritionist. This is more than a matter of counting points or measuring portions. My body is messed up, and I wish they'd work directly with me to figure out what's going on.

Long story short: To Nathalie and everyone else who shared their stories, I soooo know what you're dealing with.

Hugs to all.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 10:14 PM  
Scorpio6

I would just like to share with everyone a fantastic book I just read that gives me hope. It's called "Swing" by Tracey Reifkind and she lost 120 lbs. Now granted she doesn't have Hashimoto's low thyroid but it sounds like it could work. It's about the kettlebell swing and the timing of it all. It's available on Amazon for a reasonable price.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intermittent fasting, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, over 50