Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-18, 11:09 AM  
baba

technology help

So my laptop has died and it wasn't a good solution for what I wanted (late 40s and my eyes don't like the small screen!). I was using it in my exercise room to stream videos. So now I need something else to stream my workouts. Does a TV or something like it exist that you can just stream videos from the internet? I need a cheap solution and that is all I need it for in that room...TIA!
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 02:11 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

You can buy a smart TV, Blu Ray player with built-in wifi, or something like a Roku or Fire stick. Do you want to stream using a specific app (e.g. FitFusion) or mostly from YouTube?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 02:21 PM  
baba

I need mostly for websites like myyogaworks.com and such. And cheap and easy. Thank you!
Old 05-14-18, 02:44 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Honestly, I haven't found a good way to stream from websites other than via my computer or tablet. Mostly because the interface on other devices is too clunky. If you're only going to use one or two sites most of the time, then you could use any of these options since they do all have a browser.

Keep in mind they don't have keyboards, so you have to use the remote to navigate to the site, enter your credentials, etc.

You could just use your laptop and hook it up via a cable if your TV has ports for that.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 05:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

how old was your laptop that died? and exactly what caused its demise?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 05:22 PM  
Zenara25

Maybe buy an inexpensive Chromebook and hook it up via an HDMI to your TV. You can get one around $150-300.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 05:23 PM  
baba

8 years old! Can I blame my two kids? Lol! I think it just gave up
Old 05-14-18, 05:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba View Post
8 years old! Can I blame my two kids? Lol! I think it just gave up
if it was just your laptop screen that went kaput, I was going to suggest hooking it up to a screen (see Zenara's suggestion below), depending on how old it was. if it's >5 YO, the hookup cables and ports have changed drastically over the years, which might not be feasible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
Maybe buy an inexpensive Chromebook and hook it up via an HDMI to your TV. You can get one around $150-300.
this might be the next best thing if you don't have a computer.

do your kids have a game system? many of these systems have had online connectivity for years, and this might be another way to stream. you can also hook up a wireless keyboard and mouse to the TV screen assuming you have a way to connect to the internet (via game system, Blu-ray player, etc. as Pratima suggested). you might also contact your cable company, if you are a subscriber, to find out ways you can stream.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 04:05 PM  
horsemom2

There are lots of cheap tablets that would do fine if you will not miss the extra functions of a laptop.
For easy streaming to any HDTV, just make sure it has a hdmi port and you have a hdmi cable with a compatible size end (micro or mini).

I bought one mostly for traveling.
mine is an android 2in1 Viking Pro 10 and syncs with my google chrome browser nicely.
It has streamed all websites and apps (purple platform, vhx vimeo, etc).

I paid twice as much for it over a year ago
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Vikin...-Core/45804384

I even use it in some rooms without a HDTV but prefer the audio from a tv

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 06:52 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I bought a Roku Express for $30 at Target. Works great.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote