Old 08-29-15, 06:17 PM  
momofcha

Anyone here have the apple watch?

Any rants/raves? Is it a must have?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 06:42 PM  
andtckrtoo

I do. Well, it's definitely a conversation piece. I even get stopped by TSA asking me to show them. Aside from that, it's not really a must have, honestly, unless you are a total Apple geek. Don't even consider it without an iPhone. It requires the iPhone to run.

Pro's
1. The Activity thing is pretty cool - it counts steps, calories burned and how many times you've stood during the day. It prompts you to get up and move every hour, which I like, and you get some fun badges when you meet goals.
It even has a built in semi-accurate HRM.
2. I don't have to carry my phone with my everywhere and can even answer calls on my watch if I need to. The sound quality is much better than I'd expect, although I do feel a bit like a spy wanna be talking into my wrist.
3. Messages (FB PM's, texts, and some others) come to the watch and display. Responding can be done voice to text (questionably accurate).
4. When I use Google maps or Apple maps on my phone, the turns show up on my watch, and it buzzes as I get close - that's cool and annoying at the same time.

Cons:
1. Aside from the activity thing (and Polar has pretty much the same features for a lot less), there is nothing the watch does that the phone does not.
2. Apps are limited. If you are truly interested, I would wait for the 2.0 version.
3. It's kind of a novelty. I wear it because I bought it, and I'd feel bad spending that money and not wearing it, but I have prettier watches.
4. It's constantly vibrating - either telling me I have a text, a FB message, to stand, I've achieved a goal, I have a Groupon offer... I feel like all I do is twitch. An aside - I had it delivered to the office, and the day it was delivered I had a customer onsite. I had not yet figured out how to turn off the the chime that tells me something came in. My watch kept dinging and I felt bad. But then the customer said, "Wow, someone must be making a lot of cookies!" Evidently they had a cookie oven and cookie dough - you could put a cookie or two into the oven and when the cookie was done, it would make a chime identical to that of the Apple watch.
5. I have apps that it does support that make no sense - like Shazam - I have to use the phone to use Shazam, but I get pings from Shazam telling of songs I might like, etc. So, that's highly annoying - it's an expensive ad platform in that case.
Old 08-29-15, 07:52 PM  
m42

I have it. It's a toy, but I like it. I use the tabata timer to do Kettlebell swings. I feel that the heart rate monitor is accurate. The calorie burn seemed low to me but when I checked it against a calculator it was accurate within 10 calories.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 07:54 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

I've got the dark color sports model. Not that many people have even noticed it.

It's very comfortable. I was surprised since I thought I would hate the sports band, but I love it.

I like the activity stuff, but some days it is really weird about my 12 hours. And, since the software update, it isn't very reliable about counting exercise. I expect that to get fixed in the next update, which is probably just around the corner.

The battery life is decent. It lasts all day, but probably couldn't make 2 days.

It makes a nice watch and I like having it show me my texts.

Most apps are worthless. None of the ones I've tried run well. But, again, that should get fixed in the next upgrade.

So, it's only a "must have" if you are a gadget geek or a watch freak, and since I'm both I had to have one.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 07:57 PM  
andtckrtoo

Oh one thing to add - I noticed when I select "walk" I NEVER get the exercise time. I mean - I walked 5 miles and it told me I worked out 3 minutes. BUT if I select other, even with the same HR, etc, I get the exercise in. It's kind of annoying because there is a GPS in there, that tells me how far I walked, but as I usually have my Map My Run App on, I'll take the "exercise" over the miles
Old 08-30-15, 09:17 AM  
raeven

I'm glad somebody asked this. The geek in me wants one. The one single thing that still makes it an absolute no purchase for me, is having to charge it daily. I have no tolerance for that at all! Even charging my Charge HR every 5 days was annoying to me! I picked up a polar m400 a couple of weeks ago and have been perfectly happy with it. In fact I just bought one for my hubby yesterday as well. Not the prettiest thing around...but at least it's practical and I don't have to charge it daily!

I finally got to play with the apple watch in Best Buy just the other day. It really does look nice. The crown and dial and stuff was very smooth and nice to play with. If it would just last longer I would probably try it out!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 10:52 AM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeven View Post
I'm glad somebody asked this. The geek in me wants one. The one single thing that still makes it an absolute no purchase for me, is having to charge it daily. I have no tolerance for that at all! Even charging my Charge HR every 5 days was annoying to me! I picked up a polar m400 a couple of weeks ago and have been perfectly happy with it. In fact I just bought one for my hubby yesterday as well. Not the prettiest thing around...but at least it's practical and I don't have to charge it daily!

I finally got to play with the apple watch in Best Buy just the other day. It really does look nice. The crown and dial and stuff was very smooth and nice to play with. If it would just last longer I would probably try it out!
That's one thing that doesn't bother me. I keep the charger by my bed and when I go to sleep, I take it off and put it on the charger. When I wake up, it's ready for the day.
Old 09-11-15, 03:12 AM  
Thenu

I have the Apple watch with sports band and it feels very comfortable to wear. I have been using Fitbit for nearly 2 years (have all the models of Fitbiit and currently use surge). I researched for the perfect smart watch but was never able to get one to my liking. Apple watch would have fit in for all I was expecting from a smart watch except battery power and sleep analysis.

I like the 'Get up and walk' reminder in Apple watch which was missing in Fitbit. The display is awesome after using the dull black&white display of Fitbit. But I have to charge it everyday and there is no sleep Analysis. So currently I am using both Apple watch and Fitbit surge. I use an app called sync solver to keep both watches in sync. When I go to bed I keep the Apple watch in charge and wear Fitbit for sleeping (I have silent alarm setup in my Fitbit and it is a habit of mine to wear a watch even when I sleep). When I wake up in the morning I use sync solver to sync Fitbit to Apple health and also sync solver from health to Fitbit so that everything remains in sync.

It may sound a little too much to do all this but I got so used to this routine all it takes is just 2-3 mins. Until the day I can find a smartwatch similar to Apple's display, reminder to walk and with sleep analysis this might be my only solution.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 03:58 PM  
momofcha

Bumping for more replies??? It's been out quite a while now - pros? cons?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 05:18 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I got one a month or so ago after being disappointed in and returning a few Fitbits. I basically use it to track my walk miles - during walks, not all day. I only wear it when I go for walks, and I suppose that's kind of a waste of close to $400. I like that I can customize the face and see what I want to see - time, upcoming calendar events, temperature and battery life.

The activity tracker works on its own, but the phone needs to be in Bluetooth proximity for most other functions. The biggest benefit is that you don't have to dig in your purse for your phone when you get a phone call, email or text. My watch "rang" for the first time yesterday and it was kinda cool talking into it like a secret agent.

I watched a few YouTube reviews before buying mine. I have the sports model/band which is very comfy, and also a leather band that I bought through Groupon (which I haven't used yet). The cost was worth it for me, but I really should use it more.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple watch