Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-15, 08:23 AM  
Tugger31

Question Help pick a workout for my Sis

I'd love your help picking out a workout for my sister. She has Fibromyalgia and some issues with mild arthritis in her knees and ankles. She is in her mid 40's and hasn't exercised in a long time, but years before she started having health issues she did Cross Country in high school and got a black belt in karate. She has finally been given the okay to exercise and has been going to the local YMCA and doing the elliptical and some of the machines for inner/outer thighs to help with hip strength. She also just started the 30 day plank challenge. She has also taken some beginner yoga classes in the past which she enjoyed. She is interested in slowly working up some total body strength. She does have a set of very light dumbbells at home and a yoga mat. When the weather is bad or on days she doesn't feel like driving to the gym she'd like to have some dvd for home use. I was looking for something with light weight or maybe some fusion/pilates workouts or even home yoga, but really looking more for something she can use her light dumbbells, incorporate core as well. She can't do high impact and I don't think she'd be able to do any extended floor work that involved all 4's. I just looked at some Ellen Barrett clips but they all started looking the same. I don't have any of them or much experience with the latest beginner/intermediate stuff out now as I've been doing Cathe for years. My sis is a hipster at heart so something with a bit of a fun factor, or good music would be a bonus, but good instruction.

Sorry so long! Thanks for any ideas!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 08:48 AM  
muddjeansgal

Have you checked out Jessica Smith? Her youtube channel has fusion workouts, light strength workout and cardio walking. They are free and she can see if she likes her, but everything you describe sounds like Jessica.
Ellen is good too.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 08:59 AM  
Eibhinn

Jillian Hessel's Homebody workout might be a good choice if 60 minutes isn't too long. It's really gentle, and is a fusion of pilates and dance conditioning, with some unique stuff like hand exercises that might be useful for someone with joint issues. It's zero impact, and uses a chair and a pillows for support during the strength training. I've had my older mom use it, and she also found it's a great balance of gentle and rehabilitative while also giving a half decent workout. And it does use one pair of light dumbbells, and floorwork that works the inner/outer thighs etc. Downsides is occasionally it's a touch difficult to follow (mostly during the dance-style movement in the warm-up, and the hand exercises, which eventually get a bit fast and require coordination) and the music is a bit canned and crappy.

you can get it here: http://www.jillianhessel.com/prod_15_homebody.html

Lee and Karen Holden's workouts are probably another good option. She's young, but if she didn't mind using something labeled as being for Seniors, their Qi Gong for Seniors is really nice. I'm 35 and I enjoy it. But no weights there, it's mostly for range of motion etc. Karen Holden has some solo stuff that is more strength-based, but also no weights.

Qi Gong for Seniors: http://www.exercisetoheal.com/Qi+Gon...r+Seniors.html
Karen Holden on her own:
http://www.exercisetoheal.com/Karen+Holden/
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 10:14 AM  
dnna

I suggest taking a look at the Fitprime/Kickbutt workouts on www.fitnessfavorites.com
There are lots of options, yoga inspired sections, no high impact.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 10:41 AM  
Tugger31

Jessica Smith seems like something she'd like, but she is looking for dvds, not youtube stuff. Does JS have dvds? Are the Fitprime workouts similar to the usual FIRM's as far as the way they talk, ie. "prepare to..." etc? If so, she has already said that "robot talk" drives her crazy!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 08:09 PM  
donnamp

I second all the recommendations mentioned so far. On the FitPrime/Kickbutt front a new compilation has been released with short pre-mixed workouts

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/6-D...lam-p/2187.htm

Also, how about some Petra Kolber - she has fun dance and fusion workouts. (And if your sis likes dance, there is Dance Off the Inches which I find to be a great substitute for when I get tired of "indoor walking")

Erin O'Brien has some nice full body strength routines as well that can be modified up or down depending on how much weight you use.

And, just b/c I have to throw it in - how about Classical Stretch/Essentrics? If she is lucky, her PBS station may carry it and she can try it for free.

Oh, I also like Margaret Richard for gentle but effective weight training.

Hope this helps!

Donna

Oh - Forgot to- mention Jessica does have DVD workouts - she recently released a new walking series

http://www.jessicasmithtv.com/walk-o...ber-challenge/
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 08:26 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

New Jessica Smith DVDs.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=211974
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 05:32 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith might be a good option for her. Just let her know that Jessica's newer DVDs (which I really like and do recommend) have a segment or two that might be too intense for her, but several would be fine. Also Jessica's mom does the low impact/intensity option. Would she be okay following a modifier? (Some people don't like a workout if they have to follow a modifier.

An older workout that might be good for her is Prevention Magazine's Walk Your Way Slim by Michelle Dozois. You can get it cheap from Amazon. It's supposedly a walking workout and skews more toward low impact general cardio. It has three levels represented by one exerciser each (like Jessica's recent DVDs).

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 03:12 PM  
Chomper

I think I did the exhale fusion Bootcamp once and the "jump backs" sections are sneaky burpees? I only did it once so maybe someone else can confirm. I happen to like burpees, but I wouldn't want to scar your sister for life on workout DVDs.

I bet the Paul Katami one is solid. I don't have it, but he is good on form with light weights.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote