Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-15, 02:53 PM  
acey

VHS player...:p

So I left a very cherished CIA workout in the VHS player the last time I used it. Now when I press the on button, nothing happens.

Is it possible to extract a VHS tape from a dead player?
Old 12-22-15, 02:59 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Best Buy did it for me. They had to destroy the player but I took it there to recycle it anyway. But they didn't manage to get the tape out unscathed.
Old 12-22-15, 03:01 PM  
bubbles76

Yes. Google "how to extract a tape from a dead VCR" and you will get everything, including youtube videos, on how to do it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 03:30 PM  
Sara1000

What will you play your videos on now?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 07:15 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

You can get a good vcr at the thrift store.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 07:36 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I feel your pain, acey! I hope you can extract the video.

I bought a couple of extra players when I knew that VHS tapes were on the way out. I have a huge VHS collection, and would be so sad if I could not play them. I have been meaning to transfer them to DVD, but it would take me too long to transfer all of them.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 09:11 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Yes. Google "how to extract a tape from a dead VCR" and you will get everything, including youtube videos, on how to do it.
And it is usually very easy. To date, never had a tape lost or damaged yet. Sometimes it's as easy as unplugging and re-plugging Though I did completely disassemble the VCR the 1st time it happened Only a vidiot would trash a VCR to save an out of print gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
You can get a good vcr at the thrift store.
This. When I see thrift specials, I pick up an extra VCR. I have 4 extra VCRs tucked away (Grand total of $20 for all of them).
Old 12-22-15, 10:42 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Ok, now I feel so not alone!
I have a friend whose job is decluttering for people. She brings me VCRs if she runs into them. I have a few stockpiled.
Old 12-22-15, 11:54 PM  
angie_nrs

I have 4 of them....3 of which are DVD/VCR combos. That should outlast me. I buy VHS movies at Goodwill for 33 cents each. I rarely go to the theater so if I watch a movie it is usually second, third, or more handed down. Some of my classic 80's favorites are on VHS, so I have a cabinet with those films in my girl cave with an old TV, VCR, and Atari.

I think as long as ebay is around it will be fairly easy to get a VCR. Although, the more time that goes by, the harder they will be to find....and of coarse, the price will reflect that. They are still pretty easy to find (and cheap) around here either at second hand stores, garage sales, or craigslist.
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 11:55 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by nora View Post
Ok, now I feel so not alone!
I have a friend whose job is decluttering for people. She brings me VCRs if she runs into them. I have a few stockpiled.
It's either that or prepare to take a bank loan for anything (new) that might last more than 24hrs Seriously, there is some really cheap electronic junk on the market these days and the better vcr stuff is all at "vintage pricing".