Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-20, 08:11 PM  
tangerine

Constant up and down

I really dislike workouts that make you go down to the floor for an exercise, then up for the next one and then down again and up again. I noticed that Hasfit workouts on Youtube have a lot of this, haven't run across any DVDs that I own that are like this though.

Is there some benefit to getting up and down constantly? It lowers heart rate when we go down so it's not increasing calorie burn any but there must be some benefit that I am missing...
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 09:06 PM  
bfit

All of the Fe Fit workouts are like that. I think it's just to have more of a variety of exercises in the workout. And not everything on the floor brings down your heart rate - burpees and mountain climbers are tough! Also, and this is just my opinion, I don't think it hurts to know how to get up and down off the floor. I'm in my 60s and can still do this easily, but other people I know who are the same age as I am can't get up off the ground any more. I know some people who have had physical therapy specifically to learn how to get up if they fall.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 09:34 PM  
tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
All of the Fe Fit workouts are like that. I think it's just to have more of a variety of exercises in the workout. And not everything on the floor brings down your heart rate - burpees and mountain climbers are tough! Also, and this is just my opinion, I don't think it hurts to know how to get up and down off the floor. I'm in my 60s and can still do this easily, but other people I know who are the same age as I am can't get up off the ground any more. I know some people who have had physical therapy specifically to learn how to get up if they fall.
Interesting to hear that Fe Fit is like that too!

Oh yeah, that is true about burpees and mountain climbers - I didn't think of those because the Hasfit workouts don't have that kind of moves usually.

I agree that being able to get up and down is good, I was wondering if there is any reason workout-wise besides life-wise (I hope that makes sense!).
Old 05-19-20, 09:44 PM  
alisoncooks

The RehabZone workouts do this. The instructor says it's intentional. Can't remember the reason he gives, though.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 09:21 AM  
Demeris

The thread title made me think this was about the Catholic Mass.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 09:25 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think it requires more energy to get up and down. Also some muscle groups are worked best if you start out upright and then go down to the floor. However, if you hate it, do your exercises the way you want.
Old 05-20-20, 10:14 AM  
tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
The thread title made me think this was about the Catholic Mass.
Haha Demeris, good one!!

Alison, I'll have to look up Rehabzone, maybe google will turn up something. Or maybe you'll remember and come back and enlighten me.

Jane, thanks for that thought about sequencing, maybe that's the reason, I'll check which muscles they work consecutively next time I do one of the workouts!
Old 05-20-20, 10:15 AM  
fanofladyvols

You know, I have read articles in the past about going to the floor and rising as unassisted as possible is a longevity indicator but that's not what you seem to be saying.

I also know that workouts that follow the peripheral heart action and alternate between upper and lower body movements reduce lactic acid and are supposed to help you have more energy during the workout.

So maybe that's the consideration? People like PHA as an alternative to HIIT but agree with Jane...if you hate it, left swipe it!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.

Last edited by fanofladyvols; 05-20-20 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Typo
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 12:23 PM  
sugar rose

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 03:07 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I tagged this thread in case anyone is interested in the previous discussions about the sit-stand test.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sit stand test, sitting-rising test, up and down