Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-13, 03:16 PM  
Tugger31

Question Dream Body....on the fence

I've been eyeing the original 5 DVD Dream Body set (not the cardio set). It is on sale for $99. I've heard both good and bad things about it, can't seem to justify the purchase yet.

What are your thoughts on these??

My background, I tend to do alot of Cathe, BH, Zuzka, KCM workouts. But 95% Cathe. I'm not a big fan of barre workouts but I do enjoy Cathe's Turbo Barre, and Tracey Mallett's Booty Barre Plus Arms workout. I have Squeeze and Sq Stronger and do like them okay but I just dont reach for them often. My goals are good challenging workouts without much dread factor. I'm pear shaped but could stand to lose body fat all over as I'm beginning to get a baby muffin top due to poor diet the past few months...but that's another topic for another forum!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 03:36 PM  
edensmom

Only one of the workouts in the set is a barre workout. They are a mix of athletic moves with yoga/pilates/fusion moves. The intensity is pretty similar to the workouts you already do. The workouts really target inner thighs, glutes, abs/obliques, triceps--women's typical trouble spots. Whether you will like them or not is anyone's guess. A lot of people find them frantic and the instructors talk veryveryfast. There is literally no downtime or set up between exercises. Personally I like the set a lot. How do you like the clips?

ETA: I did develop a dread factor with Tabata & Toning bc there are some gliding moves in it that were super hard for me. I didn't do that one enough to get better at the exercises either so the dread remained.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 03:36 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I've been eyeing the original 5 DVD Dream Body set (not the cardio set). It is on sale for $99. I've heard both good and bad things about it, can't seem to justify the purchase yet.

What are your thoughts on these??

My background, I tend to do alot of Cathe, BH, Zuzka, KCM workouts. But 95% Cathe. I'm not a big fan of barre workouts but I do enjoy Cathe's Turbo Barre, and Tracey Mallett's Booty Barre Plus Arms workout. I have Squeeze and Sq Stronger and do like them okay but I just dont reach for them often. My goals are good challenging workouts without much dread factor. I'm pear shaped but could stand to lose body fat all over as I'm beginning to get a baby muffin top due to poor diet the past few months...but that's another topic for another forum!

The DB workouts are HARD. Period. They really aren't barre at all except for the one labeled Barre and that part is less than 30 minutes. They are more high speed AWT using very light weights.

You might look at the Mixxtreme set which is similar to DB's format but easier per the reviews.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 03:41 PM  
Candiceena

They're VERY HARD, I would say. If you do a lot of Cathe, you will be able to do them, but you will still find them to be advanced, I think.

The thing about Cathe vs. DB is that DB is very amateur compared to Cathe in terms of the filming, production, speed, etc. It's not necessarily a bad thing for everyone (it was for me, so I sold my set)...but the workouts are super-fast-paced, and there are little things that give Cathe workouts an edge over DB. For example, I do not think the girls have much experience doing actual DVD workouts.
Old 11-03-13, 03:52 PM  
chrisqan

I have the set and I still don't know what to think of it. I certainly don't reach for it much. On one hand they are challenging, high intensity workouts that waste no time. On the other, they are frantic and jerky. It's a double edged sword. I think I've only done each DVD twice, so not enough to see results, but I do remember my abs and inner thighs being sore after doing those DVDs. If you don't mind super fast paced workouts (that sometimes sacrifice form) than they might be for you.
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 04:01 PM  
marmact

I do most of the same type of workouts as you (minus barre, which I don't like). The constant breathless chatter, the ridiculous tempo, and the non-modifying modifiers = trade.
Old 11-03-13, 04:01 PM  
edensmom

Yes the workouts are challenging but definitely doable. Many of the moves have a cardio factor but there are also a lot of floor exercises. They do a lot of plank cardio, pushups, lunges, various plyo moves, pilates-type ab work, all while holding two pound weights that will end up weighing more than two pounds!! I used these a whole lot actually. I prefer challenging workouts, for dvd workouts I use Cathe most of the time, and I like these a lot. I don't think they will be too hard, it is more of will the flow of the workouts coupled with the instructors' speech patterns be something that you dislike.
Old 11-03-13, 04:04 PM  
Tugger31

Is it only the frantic pace that makes them hard??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 04:06 PM  
edensmom

No the exercises are challenging too and there is really no rest other than the moves that allow you to catch your breath and get your HR down. There are A LOT OF REPS.
Old 11-03-13, 04:27 PM  
PhyllisG

I also did a lot of Cathe in the past but recently have been concentrating more on TA and fusion workouts. That said I found these hard but doable. It was the frantic pace and breathless voices that convinced me to return these. These are the only workouts I have ever returned. I know a lot of people like these but I really could not get the point of the workouts.
I traded for the 2 fusion ones (the 2 I liked best) and have done them a few times but seldom reach for them any more.
I constantly had the feeling I was running for the bus.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream body