Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-20-22, 08:45 AM  
cambet

Good Morning,

Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day, but I did several lite cardio workouts to get in my steps for the day. I did JS WS2 Cardio Party in the morning, CH: Down & Dirty throughout the day to make my hourly step goals, and CH: Bring the Heat last night to make it to over 10,300 steps for the day.

SB - I thought about you a lot yesterday. Please do keep posting/stay in touch to let me know how you are doing, if you feel up to it. Feel free to vent and/or share as much or as little as you would like. I'm still sending best wishes.
Old 06-21-22, 07:41 AM  
cambet

Good Morning,

Yesterday was a very intense day. I was busy with work in the morning, had a meeting at work in the afternoon, and then hosted at my workplace a board meeting of a local nonprofit where I provide service and serve on the board. Not everything went as planned, so I had to make some quick decision changes on the fly. Everything turned out great, but it was exhausting. I didn't get home until around 7:50 pm. I really wanted to do CE, but I was just seriously out of gas. I made it to 8,022 steps for the day and after I got home and ate dinner I thought that all I needed was to do a 20 min cardio workout and I would make my 10,000 steps for the day, and I couldn't even muster the energy to do that, which I ultimately decided I was ok with. . I fell asleep shortly after dinner. I did do some of CH Elite: Wild Horse during the day to help make my hourly step goals.

I'll get back to CE today.

SB - Since we posted around the same time yesterday, I posted without seeing your latest post first. I'm glad that you plan to continue to check in. I'll be interested in hear what kind of chair/upper body workouts you find that work for you. And I know you'll have to figure out what works while careful not to compromise the healing process. That's a lot to navigate, but I'm sure you'll figure it out (I'm rooting for you! -insert cheerleader emoji ). Drastically changing the subject since I've been wanting to mention this, I usually walk in my yard in the evenings and I think that I probably would have yesterday and maybe helped myself reach the 10,000 steps, but on Friday a bear was spotted about a mile from my house. Yes, a bear! Someone posted a pic of it (that they got from their Ring camera) on our neighborhood FB group and warned everyone to be careful, since they imagined that it may work its way along the creek that runs way in the back of my property. I know it's not likely that I'll run into a bear, but ever since Friday I've been kind of keeping an eye out, and I've noticed that I haven't gotten myself out there to walk in the yard. I was telling one of the Italy crew about this when I hung out with her on Saturday and she gave me some tips on how to handle it if I were to come across the bear (she used to live in CO, so she has some bear-sighting experience). I will need to get back out there to water some of the plants, so my next thing is to get over my bear fear so that I can get back to my evening walks in the yard. Of course the heat has meant they they are relatively short walks, but still.
Old 06-21-22, 08:04 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

CAMBET, that does sound like you had a lot going on yesterday!! I'm glad it all worked out great for you and I think the rest at the end of the day was probably the best thing for you.

I may wait until next week for the workouts.
I'm still feeling a little unstable right now and I think my body is still dealing with the shock. Thanks for the encouragement.
I'll definitely keep you posted.

Yikes on the bear!! I'd be scared to go out in the yard too. We've actually had a few bear sightings near where I live too over the years. I don't plan to run into one but I am curious what your friend's tips were just on the off chance

A little bit of a vent. I was supposed to have root canal surgery last week which I cancelled after the ankle break. I called my dentist and asked if it's ok to postpone it for a couple of months until I'm more mobile. And I don't know if my body is ready for another assault. LOL. He had put a temporary crown on my tooth and he said it won't last too long so I should try to get the root canal done sooner rather than later.
Agh. When I go back to the orthopedist next week I'll see if she thinks I can handle a root canal. Just one more thing to worry about. LOL.

Have a wonderful day!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 08:47 AM  
cambet

Good Morning,

Yesterday I did CE Burn 2. I upped the weights - I finally got to break out my SelectTechs - using 12.5s for biceps and 15s for rows. When I finished, I felt throughly worked out, as in my muscles were fried. I tacked on JS's 10 min Dance Walk from the 10 Min Quick Walk Mix DVD. I also did about half of CH Elite Rope & Ride throughout the day to help with my hourly step goals. Made it to over 11,000 step for the day.

I had a friend/coworker over for dinner last night. She and I make it a point to have dinner together at least once a year during the summer. She joined a Burn Bootcamp gym a couple of years ago, but before that she was not really a regular exerciser. I was telling her that I had started a heavy weights program and she asked me what "heavy" poundage I was using (which I realize is a relative term). I said that that day I had used 12.5s and 15s and she was like oh, that's nice but not really what I think of when I think of heavy weights. And then I felt kind of embarrassed for touting my heavy weight lifting. I tried to explain that I'm just in the first phase and the weights will get heavier and that it's slow, concentrated lifting, but she remained ... kind of unimpressed or didn't really see what the big deal was. I think that for someone who regularly goes to a gym, the idea of heavy lifting is very different, so that's why I really appreciate being able to share about my CE experience here. She did say that she'd be interested to hear about my results when I'm done with the program and so she'll follow up later.

SB - I think you're right, this is a lot for your body to adjust to, so it'll take some time work things out like adding in exercise and other activities. Take your time and I'm sure you'll figure it out. I tried to add the bear advice but it made my post too long (I kept getting the Internal 500 error), so I'll mention it another time.

I'm sorry to hear about your root canal surgery probably needing to be done sooner rather than later on top of everything else. Sometimes, when it rains it pours. But, I think it was a good idea to ask the orthopedist what she thinks, in terms of your body having to endure another medical thing. Uggghh! I believe it will all work out in the end, but I know it all has to be frustrating and I definitely understand the need to vent. Hang in there! Sending {{hugs}}.
Old 06-22-22, 09:49 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi CAMBET!!

That's great that you broke out your selecttech dumbbells and upped those weights. When I was reading that I was thinking wow that's impressive 12.5 for biceps and 15 for rows. I feel bad your friend pee'd in your cornflakes if you don't mind my saying so. Especially since you don't usually do weight work. I know I'm a bit older than you but most of the people I know don't use weights at all and I think 5 lbs would knock them for a loop. Even my DD's friend came over one day and picked up my 7 lb dumbbell hesitantly like it was going to bite her. I think that's amazing progress you're making.

LOL on the bear tips. Yeah I don't think I have an urgent need for the info.
I am still curious when you have the time to share though.

I'm sure I'll get through this all. Some days are going to be better than others.
Thanks for your continued support.

Have a wonderful day!!
Old 06-23-22, 08:31 AM  
cambet

Good Morning,

Yesterday I did CE Burn Intervals. I worked out early because I had dinner plans with friends in the evening and knew that I would not feel like working out late in the day after hanging out. I also finished doing CH Elite: Rope & Ride throughout the day to help make my hourly step goals. Made it to over 10,200 for the day.

I'm scheduled to do CE Burn 3 today, but I have still have DOMS from upping the weights from Burn 2 on Tuesday, so I may do a steady state cardio workout and tackle Burn 3 tomorrow. I have to run some errands this morning, so I'll figure that out a little later. I'm planning to go to Atlanta next weekend, and I would like to wrap up the last week of the Burn Phase before I go, so we'll see how I can fit everything in.

SB - Thanks for your encouragement! I was disappointed that my friend poo poo'd my heavy weight lifting efforts, but I guess since she sees people lifting heavy at the gym, 12.5 and 15 lbs just didn't sound like much to her. But as the one actually doing it, and I don't think that I have ever used 12.5 lbs for my biceps, I'm very excited about the program and excited to see the progress that I'm making. I haven't lost a ton of weight, but I can tell that I'm getting tighter/smaller. When I do my weigh-in this weekend I think that I'm also going to take my measurements (I took them before I started). I hope that you have a good day!
Old 06-24-22, 08:58 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi CAMBET!

Tighter and smaller is the best result.
Even if your weight hasn't changed much, I'm sure you're building muscle and losing fat. So exciting. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your progress. Hitting your step goals is great too.

I'm hanging in there. I had some visitors this week which was fun. And my friend and her DD are coming by later so I'm not getting too bored and frustrated. LOL.

Have a wonderful day!!

Old 06-25-22, 08:37 AM  
cambet

Good Morning,

Thursday I ended up running errands until late afternoon, so by the time I got home I didn't feel up to doing heavy weights. I did about half of CH: Cardio Round Up before I left the house to help reach my hourly step goals. And later in the day I did JS's 40 Min Mega Burn Walk from her 3 Weight Loss Walks. It was the perfect choice. in Made it to over 12,500 steps for the day.

Yesterday I did Burn 3. I upped the weights, doing 12.5 for shoulders (first time for that) and 15 and 20 lbs for lower body lunges and squats. I stuck to 5 lbs or lateral raises because I didn't want to risk injury. I followed that up with the Dance Walk from JS's 10 Min Quick Walk Mix. I also finished up CH: Cardio Round Up during the day to help reach my hourly step goals. I had thought that would be it, but a friend asked if I wanted to take a walk on a flat trail in town and I said yes. I had never walked with her before, but she's an avid runner, so I felt kind of pressured to walk as fast as I could (though she did not push me to walk fast). Two of our miles were 16 min miles (that may be my fastest walking pace; I think that 17 min miles were the fastest pace I had previously done). In total we walked for 1 hour and 5 mins and did 3.9 miles (for an average pace of 16.52 minutes pure mile). We actually ended up walking a little more, but I had already turned off the tracker. She's going out of town next week, but we said that we will definitely walk again in the future. Made it to over 17,500 steps for the day.

SB - I'm glad to hear that you are hanging in there! Sounds like you are making adjustments as needed. It's always (well usually ) nice to have visitors! And good to have people to come to you that you can catch up with and maybe they can help some and keep you engaged in conversation/being sociable. I hope that you enjoyed your time with your friend and her DD. And hope that you have a good day today!
Old 06-26-22, 08:59 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Wow CAMBET! I have to commend you on upping your weights and getting such great step totals. So impressive! That was a great walk with your friend, distance & speed! I always enjoy walking with my kids because they keep up a very brisk pace.

Things are more or less the same here.
DS and his gf visited yesterday. That's about as exciting as it gets for me here.
LOL.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 06-27-22, 08:48 AM  
cambet

Good Morning!

Saturday instead of doing the scheduled interval workout, I did JS's 3-Mile Flat Abs Power Walk which is a 45 min steady state walk. I spent a lot of time during the day working around the house (organizing and cleaning), so with the workout I made it to over 13,400 steps for the day.

Yesterday I wanted a bit of a break, so I did 2 Jessica 10 Min walks, the Powered Up Walk and Dance Walk from her 10 Min Quick Walk Mix DVD. I followed that up with the PM: Relaxing Flow practice from her Yoga Stretch For Beginners & Beyond DVD. It wasn't quite as relaxing as I remembered, but I guess there were some decent stretches. I also did CH: Cardio Round Up throughout the day to help with my hourly step goals. Made it to over 10,700 steps for the day.

I'll get back to CE today. This will be my last round of the Burn phase before I move on to the Push phase next week.

Well, at my weigh-in yesterday I found that I had only lost .6 lbs this week. BUT, I also found that I had lost 6 lbs this month, which I'm excited about. I guess that I had just thought that since I'm exercising and eating better, the weight would just drop off more quickly (I was hoping to lose 2 lbs a week, so I had hoped to lose 8-10 lbs in a month's time), but 6 lbs isn't bad and I guess that I just have to be patient. I've probably also put on some muscle (which helps explain the lack of weight loss). I also took my measurements and I have lost a total of 12.25 inches all over (3 inches off my waist and 2.75 inches off of my butt!). So I was pretty happy about that! [ETA: I just reread this and I don't mean to sound so disappointed/ungrateful. I'm about 10 lbs heavier than I was last year at this time and some of my clothes still don't fit right, but I'll get there. ]

SB - Thanks for all of your encouragement. It's good that you've had lots of visitors to keep you company. I was thinking about your situation and wondering are there tasks that you can take care of in your less mobile state? For instance, I have 6-8 boxes of papers, mail, etc. that I need to go through to organize and file or shred. I'm planning to take the time this summer to make myself sit down and do this. Do you have things like that that require you to kind of sit in one spot that you could take care of while you are less mobile? Maybe I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things, but if you've been putting things off like that (which I am definitely guilty of), maybe now would be a good time to tackle some of them. Just something to think about (not that this probably hasn't already occurred to you). I hope you have a good day!