Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-14, 06:42 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

For those of you interested in learning how to meditate, I found this website incredibly helpful and very enjoyable: Get Some Headspace. There's a 10-day free trial. Each day is a 10 minute meditation. Andy Puddicombe, the site founder, basically guides you through the experience, so you learn "how to" meditate. Andy served (is that the right word?) as a Buddhist monk and is now back in lay life.

I've fallen off the meditation wagon a bit, and want to get back into it - no more than 10-20 minutes a day. I'll participate in a check-in.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 06:44 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I might be interested, I love you guys, but I'm not the best check-in participant...but if you do this, I'll try!

I have been medititating 1-2x/day for the past few months, and I can't believe what a difference it has made in my life. I meditation for between 20-60 minutes per time, with a target of 30 min. Even when I have bad meditation sessions (where my monkey mind is running the show the whole time) I still experience the benefit.

I have been doing the meditation in the back of Moving into Stillness by Erich Schiffmann, which is basically following the breath (with a little bit of setup instruction). The earlier chapters have some introductory meditations that I think are so good, I'm working through them again this week, after not having done them in a while. Basically reading a chapter a night and doing the meditation that night or the next. Kind of taking it slow.

I've heard Mindfulness in Plain English is a great resource. The first edition is available for free online, and although the book seems a little dated (it came out in the 90's and it kind of shows ) I think it's a good resource. I haven't finished the book yet.

@amoodygirl: I like TM meditation, but it isn't the only way...and maybe not even the best (just one of many good ways of meditating.) I didn't pay for my course, but took it through a volunteer organization. You might be able to find it for free somewhere.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 06:47 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
If I had a clue how to do it, I might be interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
. I was just on my way to yt to see if they have any free info on the proper way to do it there.
There are so many different ways of doing it! Some people do best with CDs, visualizations, prayers or mantras. I've tried lots of methods, including practicing Christian Centering Prayer with two elderly gentlemen each week for several years. My mind tends to complicate everything, though, so I've learned it's best for me to keep it simple and just focus on my breathing. If thoughts start to interfere -- and they absolutely will -- I forgive myself for getting carried away by them and just return to focusing on my breathing in the present moment. That's all.

It's easier said than done, of course.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 08:20 PM  
mandie123

I'am not good with check ins,but would be interested.I've been doing some guided meditations I found on line,I just need to make it a daily practice!
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 10:56 PM  
videofit

Get initiated in kriya yoga, the most ancient form of meditation. I do it every night before bed and have incredible dreams. You don't have to join a church and they will never ask you for money although you have to pay for initiation which includes lectures, meditation and lunch over a three day weekend. Nonsectarian. You can PM me if you have questions.
Old 09-04-14, 06:18 AM  
Bebop

I'll join a check-in. I try to meditate daily. I try sitting meditation. I also try to get in a Kundalini practice on most days which I consider meditation.

I used to be able to go to my previous yoga teacher's meditation class but she cancelled that.

Keep us posted on the check-in.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 07:37 AM  
pharma_gal

Ill start a check-in today. Thanks all!

ETA: Started the check-in. Here's the link:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...78#post2444178
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 08:47 AM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
I know this isn't what the thread is necessarily about, but I have to share. My go-to for guided meditation is the app "Calm". It is wonderful! You only get a couple of guided meditations with the free app, but for $10 a year you get tons of options! I can't tell you how much use I have gotten out of this app. A bit off topic, but since buying the app a couple of months ago, TOM is back to every 28 days again after two years of it being all over the place (20 days, 35 days, 19 days, 45 days). It has helped me to reduce my stress levels and leveled out my hormones like nothing else. It has been worth every penny to me.

I'll stop rambling now {blush}
How does the app work? When you pay for it all the practices are unlocked and then what happens when your membership expires? Do you continue to have access to the unlocked meditations? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote