Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-13, 05:08 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I have always enjoyed Joyce's workouts, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who didn't already use correct form, because Joyce's form sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, and she also seems to be really flailing the weights around during certain exercises.

That said, I think her workouts are effective, and I get a kick out of her personality.
ITA. IMO, Joyce flails the weights around because they are way lighter than the weights that she would normally use. Also, she touts her workouts as taking "12 minutes a day" "15 minutes a day" and so on. My experience is that if you do the reps at a normal speed, using challenging weights, the workouts will take longer than she claims.

That said ... Joyce's workouts are extremely effective. I particularly like her upper body routines. I worked out using her books for years, but cannot warm up to her DVDs. I never lifted weights before I started with Joyce's "12 Minute Total Body Workout" book back in 1989. I credit her for getting me interested in weight training. She also looks great, especially for a women in her 60s.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 07:10 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

I'll always be grateful to Joyce for introducing me to weights in her book, Now or Never. I like her videos, too (with all the warnings given above). I'd recommend BUG+ most strongly, as well as Fast Forward. Joyce is an absolute hoot!
Old 02-21-13, 01:10 PM  
Keepfitgirl

What is Joyce's shoulder work like? Having had past shoulder issues, I tend to stay away from anything like upright rows and prefer working the back of my shoulder, rotator cuffs etc.

Thanks

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 01:14 PM  
Sissy B

I have shoulder issues too. Joyce does include upright rows in some of her workouts, I just substitute another exercise instead.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joyce vedral, joyce vedral rotations