Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-10, 11:04 AM  
gianni

Maybe OT-Insulin Resistance, PCOS & Hypoglycemia

I'm not sure if this is off topic or not allowed so if anyone might be able to lend some advice, I don't want to break any rules so I appreciate a PM.

I've been having fatigue issues for the longest time and we're been from one thing to another on what's causing it. I definitely have PCOS and have instances of low blood sugar swings. At my check up at the doctor yesterday we discussed this again and he ran more blood work and gave me a script for Metformin 500MG. We discussed insulin resistance. For quite a while, despite a very good diet and exercise, I cannot keep weight off and have gained about 8 pounds for no good reason. I have periods of ridiculous fatigue where I am horribly week, tired and spacy. I am not overweight, I was just a lot happier, and healthier and felt like my workouts were more meaningful when I was getting better results with them. I do get some results but nothing like what I've seen exercise do for me. I've tried small, frequent meals, lowering carb (which made me even worse, I eat do not eat very high carb to begin with, more of a 40/30/30 plan) I cannot lose an ounce if my life depended on it.

I did some reading and found a few instances where Metformin controlled blood sugar swings (including lows) and helped people feel better again. The theory is the body just continues to release insulin because it doesn't work very well and it releases so much, it produces low blood sugar. Has anyone had a problem with lows and found metformin helpful? I really do want to try it because I notice my problems seems to go with my cycles but I am afraid of the lows. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Incidentally, I had PCOS when I was trying to get pregnant with my first child. It was found during a exploratory laparoscopy. I had ovarian drilling, I felt better, returned to normal and got pregnant within 5 months. After that my periods and energy level and weight were normal and got pregnant again 2 years later with no help.

Thanks for reading!
gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 11:11 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Hi Gianni, I'm sorry for what you're experiencing and can't offer advice, just ((hugs)) and sympathy, but this line of yours stood out:
Quote:
I am not overweight
May I ask if you're not overweight, why are you focusing on losing weight? I've no doubt your workouts are giving you results; maybe not visible results right now but internally I'm sure you are doing your body a lot of good.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 11:24 AM  
gianni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hi Gianni, I'm sorry for what you're experiencing and can't offer advice, just ((hugs)) and sympathy, but this line of yours stood out: May I ask if you're not overweight, why are you focusing on losing weight? I've no doubt your workouts are giving you results; maybe not visible results right now but internally I'm sure you are doing your body a lot of good.
Honestly, right now, I feel like I am abusing my body because I haven't felt as good after working out as I used to. I'm not getting energy and feeling good, just more drained. As far as not being overweight, I was very happy with how I looked a few pounds ago. I also felt great! I know this is not normal for me. I'm short so 5 pounds looks like 20. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the hugs! Much appreciated!
Old 03-13-10, 11:34 AM  
buffmama

Rather than low carb maybe complex carbs would help stabilize glucose and make you feel better. Quinoa, kasha, millet, spelt, kamut, hulled barley is a great one, and of course brown rice. They take longer to cook but are very satisfying. (Can you tell I like carbs?!) I haven't heard anything against the metformin but it may not have been on my radar. Good luck.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 11:49 AM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

sending you a pm!
Old 03-13-10, 11:49 AM  
gianni

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Rather than low carb maybe complex carbs would help stabilize glucose and make you feel better. Quinoa, kasha, millet, spelt, kamut, hulled barley is a great one, and of course brown rice. They take longer to cook but are very satisfying. (Can you tell I like carbs?!) I haven't heard anything against the metformin but it may not have been on my radar. Good luck.
You're the second person to say that recently. I tend to eat alot of vegetables and 7 grain bread (in the rare instances I eat bread!) I've always heard starchy carbs make things worse but I'm starting to realize the what works for some, doesn't always work for others... I'll have to add some to my shopping list!!

Metformin is traditionally a diabetes med but it's all used for insulin resistance and PCOS. I've heard it's really great at regulating periods. Again, just afraid of the lows. I was told to take with your largest meal and be sure you do eat enough or that's a surefire way for lows.
Old 03-13-10, 01:26 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

gianni, sneding you a pm, and (((hugs))).

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 01:51 PM  
videofit

You might want to read Jillian Michael's Mastering Your Metabolism because she addresses various health problems and how to work around them. It seems quite a few Biggest Loser contestants have had insulin resistance and PCOS.
Old 03-13-10, 02:06 PM  
jplain

Are you monitoring your blood sugar? What is your A1C and fasting sugar? Does your blood sugar swing high after meals? If not, why the metformin? From my reading, I'm not convinced metformin is appropriate if there are never any elevated blood sugars.

Your situation just screams thyroid. Ask for TSH, free T3, and free T4. You'll have to be specific about free T3 and free T4, for two reasons. First, many doctors think they can get by with just TSH, which is not true. Second, the total T3 and T4 measurements are not nearly as useful as the free hormone measurements, because the free hormone reflects the amount that is truly available.

Good luck! (Also PM'ing.)
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 03:03 PM  
gianni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
Are you monitoring your blood sugar? What is your A1C and fasting sugar? Does your blood sugar swing high after meals? If not, why the metformin? From my reading, I'm not convinced metformin is appropriate if there are never any elevated blood sugars.

Your situation just screams thyroid. Ask for TSH, free T3, and free T4. You'll have to be specific about free T3 and free T4, for two reasons. First, many doctors think they can get by with just TSH, which is not true. Second, the total T3 and T4 measurements are not nearly as useful as the free hormone measurements, because the free hormone reflects the amount that is truly available.

Good luck! (Also PM'ing.)
Thanks! PMed you back!