Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-14, 07:14 PM  
juberann

Had to put my dog to sleep last night.......

I posted a year or so ago that my Beagle, Dash, had been diagnosed with Canine Cushings disease and was given about a year to live. Well, he made it painfree for over two years, although he was completely blind, he made the best of things and was always the most sweet, gentle, loving dog I have ever known.
Cushings causes weight gain , especially around the midsection, but Dash started losing weight late last Spring. In a way, it was a blessing because he was clearly moving more comfortably and,as my daughter said, "able to scratch his own itches". I know he was happy and our main focus was to keep him as comfortable as possible. We moved into a new house 16 months ago and, for the first time, Dash had his own huge, fenced in, secured backyard and we took him off the leash. That was my dream for him, that he have a yard to walk around in and freedom and,boy, did he take advantage of it. It made me happy every time I looked at in the backyard and watched him just "being a dog". His blindness never slowed him down or got him down. He was truly my canine Hero
My prayer for the past two years is that God give Dash the ability to let us know when he was ready, until then, I wasn't giving up on him. Yesterday, he helped me eat my breakfast, as he has done almost every morning for 9 years but he was overly tired, I didn't think much about it. Last night around 5 p.m. I let him outside and noticed he had diarrhea and was bleeding. He went to lay down in the yard and I knew something was wrong. He eventually got up and came back into the house and went to his bed. His human dad gathered him up and we took him to the Emergency Hospital. XRays showed a sizable tumor in his stomach that had twisted and was causing internal bleeding. Vet told us he would not make it through surgery. We made the decision to have him put to sleep and put him out of the pain he was in. We had time to say goodbye, which I am forever grateful for and I knew, without a doubt, he was ready.
My heart is broken and today has been incredibly hard as I went about my morning routine without my sweet boy. That was hard. I choked down a piece of toast with peanut butter on it this morning, the first piece of peanut butter toast I have had to myself in nearly 9 years. I wish he had been here to share it, as always.
I hope posting this isn't against the rules and I understand if Wendy removes it. I just "know" so many of you on here and when he got sick so many of you gave me such comfort and great advice that I felt an update was necessary. It's so hard to lose them.......I was blessed beyond reason to have been loved by this incredible dog. R.I.P. Dash!!
Old 10-15-14, 07:18 PM  
Sissy B

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is. My heart goes out to you.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:18 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

So sorry to hear this, Judy!
Best
Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:20 PM  
violingal3

Awww - I'm so sorry, losing a pet is incredibly hard. Even after his diagnosis, it is wonderful to hear he had two very full and happy years with a loving family. (((hugs)))
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:23 PM  
primrosecat

I am truly sorry. Tears are dropping for you and your hero.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:24 PM  
Tugger31

Your love for Dash emanates from every sentence of your post. He was lucky to be a part of such a loving family. His memory will always live on.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:27 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I am so very sorry. our pets are such a big part of our lives...our family. rip sweet Dash and hugs.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:29 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much love and joy our pets bring to our lives but letting go is so hard. We had to put our dog down in January after 14 years. Fortunately he was healthy until his last couple of weeks. We have a new little pug now but Muggs still has a special place in our hearts. Take care!
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:31 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry. I know how hard this is - we went through this in May with my sweet Bunny girl.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 07:34 PM  
SueT

Judy, I'm so sorry you're going through this. This past July I had to put my 19-year-old cat Amber to sleep. She had so many health problems, with no quality of life, and my husband and I finally made the decision to end her suffering.

I started every morning with a glass of lemon water with ginger and Ceyenne pepper, and Amber used to wait to have the last two tablespoons from my glass. The first few mornings without her sharing the lemon water with me were so hard! I knew Amber was ready to say good-bye when she didn't come up out of the basement for her morning lemon water. We had that same routine for years.

I'm sure your precious dog knew how much you loved him, and you saved him from suffering. Just know that you did the best thing for him.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote