Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-17, 03:14 PM  
sherry7899

Middle of the night insomnia

I do not have trouble falling asleep but I keep waking up during the night and take hours to fall back to sleep or I wake up at four am and am up for the day. I am too tired to exercise.

Has anyone found anything helpful to fall back to sleep? This is so frustrating!

Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 03:16 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I do not have trouble falling asleep but I keep waking up during the night and take hours to fall back to sleep or I wake up at four am and am up for the day. I am too tired to exercise.

Has anyone found anything helpful to fall back to sleep? This is so frustrating!

Thank you!
Sounds strange but I make a concoction of equal parts sugar and salt and keep it in a container on my nightstand. When I wake up and can't fall back asleep I take a pinch and put it under my tongue. It's worked for me so far....

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 03:29 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Sounds strange but I make a concoction of equal parts sugar and salt and keep it in a container on my nightstand. When I wake up and can't fall back asleep I take a pinch and put it under my tongue. It's worked for me so far....
Really? I have not heard of that before. I am definitely willing to try it. I am glad you found something that works for you.

Old 12-05-17, 03:31 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Really? I have not heard of that before. I am definitely willing to try it. I am glad you found something that works for you.
actually I guess it's not equal parts - called Sleepy Dust - I just use salt and sugar but this is a little more involved.

http://butterbeliever.com/how-to-fall-back-asleep/

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 04:33 PM  
laurajhawk

I used to have that problem a lot, now somewhat less so. For me it was because there was too much on my mind; when I woke up naturally, instead of rolling over & going back to sleep, I would start thinking about all kinds of things. I have three suggestions:
- As a systemic "fix", meditation is great for calming the mind. Meditating before bed may help.
- Valerian root (available in the grocery store or drugstore) is calming to the nervous system & is gentle. You'd need to take it before bed; it doesn't act fast enough to send you back to sleep once you've awaked.
- Obligatory video tie-in (and it works): From Nirvair's AM/PM Kundalini DVD, this tip: Get up and run cold water over your feet, then go back to bed. This is surprisingly effective!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 05:14 PM  
hollymarie

I have the same problem, so I will be interested in any advice!

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 05:18 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollymarie View Post
I have the same problem, so I will be interested in any advice!
I am sorry you are going through the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had tried melatonin but it gave me nightmares. I am hesitant to take herbs anyway because I take thyroid medication.

Old 12-05-17, 05:26 PM  
IceQueen07

I am having the same issues. I fall asleep really easily but end up waking in the middle of the night a couple of times. I am lucky to get 5 to 6 hours a night. I have tried most supplements out there and most only work for a short bit and then stop. It is really frustrating. I am thinking about trying acupuncture. I have heard that it can help. At this point, I am willing to try most things.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 05:36 PM  
leigh1673

Same here. I have heard it's hormonal. I am heading into perimeno years so it makes sense. I've been using an OTC progesterone cream that somebody had recommended. But so far, it hasn't corrected the problem.

I usually end up taking half a tab of an OTC sleep aid or some melatonin when it happens. But I'd LOVE to find a better solution than that.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 05:41 PM  
Erica H.

I struggle with this, too. I fall asleep immediately and then wake up in the middle of the night and am wide awake. It's frustrating because I'm exhausted, but can't sleep. I have tried supplements and think they help a little, but not consistently.

One thing I do wonder about is if it's a blood sugar issue. That would be fixed by the Sleepy Dust I guess (I didn't read the link yet). Sometimes I feel really hungry when I wake up even though I wasn't hungry when I went to bed.
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep mask