Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-17, 01:28 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Here's an article from the WSJ on time restricted eating
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 02:24 PM  
BunnyHop

Looks like your PM box is full.

I'd be happy to share some thoughts, just let me know.

I do think that checking with your doctor is a good first step, just to make sure you keep things safe.
Old 12-31-17, 03:40 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I did really well last summer modifying my diet. I think a variety of food plans will work...keto, Paleo, Whole 30, vegan. IMHO it's all about getting the garbage out....processed foods (even vegan chicken nuggets), eating whole foods and keeping the sugar out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My husband is in your situation. In addition to lowering carbs, and, as JackieB said, getting the junk/sugar out, consider meal timing. Try spacing out meals and avoid snacking. Intermittent fasting is helpful in lowering insulin levels. Depending on where you are now, just extending your natural nighttime fast and eating three meals a day (if you were eating more often that that before) might help. I know a lot of people have had great success with Keto and paleo, but you might not need to be that strict even. It's not always just what you're eating but when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have read that going for walks after meals lowers your blood sugar levels.Sherry
All this----nothing extreme but these simple changes can be powerful. Eat real food, allow respite from eating and move. Most folks find a myriad of benefits (reduced joint pain, reduction in allergies, resolution of heartburn and other digestion issues etc) in addition to lowering glucose/insulin. Focusing on healthy fat, protein and veges can keep you satiated and make it easier to drop the sugar. I know we can't discuss specific diet plans here but I think discussion of general health issues doesn't infringe on that. There is a load of scientific evidence that increased blood glucose/insulin can contribute to many inflammatory/chronic diseases.
Old 12-31-17, 06:06 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

My husband lowered his A1c significantly by cutting back on starchy carbs (including sugar). His doc said he probably added 10 years to his life. I convinced him to change his diet versus letting the doc double his meds.

As others have said, try to eat mostly unprocessed “real” food and low glycemic foods that don’t shoot your blood sugar up and cause your pancreas to release insulin to lower it. Fats have no effect on blood sugar and protein has minimal effect.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:19 PM  
angie_nrs

Read "the Obesity Code". There's some great information in the book and Dr. Fung explains how he was able to wean people off their diabetic meds by introducing then to intermittent fasting. I practice IF for my own health and it's really not very hard once you get used to it.
Old 12-31-17, 09:37 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
Read "the Obesity Code". There's some great information in the book and Dr. Fung explains how he was able to wean people off their diabetic meds by introducing then to intermittent fasting. I practice IF for my own health and it's really not very hard once you get used to it.
I love Dr. Fung! He's so funny, too!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:38 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I know we can't discuss specific diet plans here but I think discussion of general health issues doesn't infringe on that.
This thread is at least as diet-related as another recent thread that was closed ("Nutrition for muscle building?"):

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Even though this isn’t about diet for weight loss, it is still a diet thread so I am closing it here.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 12-31-17 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added link to policy
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:54 PM  
ncl

Yes, you should be able to manage this with diet and lifestyle. You can also buy a glucometer and strips and start testing your sugar to get data on what spikes your sugar and what doesn't if that is motivating/interesting for you. You can probably get your insurance to pay for it as well if your doctor writes a prescription. That said, I would eliminate processed food, sugar and limit grains, starches and fruits.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 11:35 PM  
Honeydew

Thank you all for your great advice! I hope my post didn't upset anyone since it is diet realted.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote