Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-17, 11:49 PM  
Honeydew

So my fasting glucose is

is slightly high and my insulin level is at the high end of the lab range. I do not want to have to take meds if I can lower those levels through diet. Has anyone been able to do this? What diet helped you? I was going to try Keto but was told it's a major shock to the body and can cause hairloss, I"m already losing hair so I'm not going to try it. What about Paleo, has anyone tried and and was able to lower your glucose and insulin with this diet?

PM me please if you want to go into more detail. Thanks!!!
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 01:46 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

You should speak to a doctor who specializes in diabetes, and a nutritionist. You need to eat foods with low glycemic index, and keep your blood sugar and insulin levels stable during the day. You may want to buy a blood glucose monitor and check your blood sugar levels upon waking and 2 hours after eating. I took care of a family member with diabetes and managed all of their meals and snacks. Studies have shown that regular exercise helps lower blood glucose levels. Here is a page from the ADA about how exercise helps.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 06:14 AM  
Lannette

No, not paleo but I’ve been diet controlled for 30+ years. My fasting is still normal. 30+ years ago it was high. I personally don’t think paleo is the way to go due to valid research. PM me if you want to know more.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:09 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My local hospital has a diabetes clinic, the Joslin Center. I do not know if that is a nationwide facility, but your local hospital may have a clinic with available nutritionists that can help you with a plan to balance your levels.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:47 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
is slightly high and my insulin level is at the high end of the lab range. I do not want to have to take meds if I can lower those levels through diet. Has anyone been able to do this? What diet helped you? I was going to try Keto but was told it's a major shock to the body and can cause hairloss, I"m already losing hair so I'm not going to try it. What about Paleo, has anyone tried and and was able to lower your glucose and insulin with this diet?

PM me please if you want to go into more detail. Thanks!!!
I had a similar lab result recently. I have a family history of diabetes so I need to take care of this now with diet! I’ve been trying to lower my carb intake and make sure I eat protein with it. PM me if you need some support, we can do this!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:52 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I did really well last summer modifying my diet. I think a variety of food plans will work...keto, Paleo, Whole 30, vegan. IMHO it's all about getting the garbage out....processed foods (even vegan chicken nuggets), eating whole foods and keeping the sugar out.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 12:44 PM  
Gardengirl

My sister was faced with the same situation. She really didn't want to go on meds so she started loosely counting carbs. From what I gather she's backing out the fiber content, much like the glycemic index. She still drinks wine (apparently it's metabolized differently than carbs . . . who knew?!? lol), but she's cut way back on carbs/sugar etc. She just had her A1C tested again and is completely in the normal range.

It can be done! Good luck to you!
Old 12-31-17, 12:45 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

My husband is in your situation. In addition to lowering carbs, and, as JackieB said, getting the junk/sugar out, consider meal timing. Try spacing out meals and avoid snacking. Intermittent fasting is helpful in lowering insulin levels. Depending on where you are now, just extending your natural nighttime fast and eating three meals a day (if you were eating more often that that before) might help. I know a lot of people have had great success with Keto and paleo, but you might not need to be that strict even. It's not always just what you're eating but when.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 12:50 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My husband is in your situation. In addition to lowering carbs, and, as JackieB said, getting the junk/sugar out, consider meal timing. Try spacing out meals and avoid snacking. Intermittent fasting is helpful in lowering insulin levels. Depending on where you are now, just extending your natural nighttime fast and eating three meals a day (if you were eating more often that that before) might help. I know a lot of people have had great success with Keto and paleo, but you might not need to be that strict even. It's not always just what your eating but when.
You reminded me that my sister also makes sure she has protein at every meal and snacks on protein in between to keep things level.
Old 12-31-17, 01:00 PM  
sherry7899

I have read that going for walks after meals lowers your blood sugar levels.

You didn't happen to take any medication before your testing? My sister took TUMS the night before her test, and they actually raised her blood sugar levels. Who'd have thought?

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote