Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-17, 02:24 PM  
Honeydew

Is anyone here a lawyer?

Could use some legal advice for my niece. Her boyfriend/and his parents had her sign a custody agreement that was notarized, but I believe it was not filed with the courts. They will only let her see her daughter once a week for a few hours and stipulated(not sure if that's the right word)that she can't move out of state. There is no date for a custody hearing. I'm sure this isn't even legal right? My niece did not have a lawyer but her boyfriend did. She can't afford a lawyer, how can I find her one that will take her case pro bono? I"ve googled but have yet to find one.
sorry for the off topic but she's getting screwed!
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 02:47 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I'm not a lawyer.

I refer a lot of my lower income families to the various legal aid clinics in my area. If you do a search for legal aid in your area maybe you'll find some options.

Just an FYI, they typically have limited hours and are only available a few times a month (in my area most operate out of public buildings like libraries, etc. and only on Thursday, as an example) . So you have to know the schedule and make time accordingly. Some clinics will allow a person to make an appointment and others are just first come, first served.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 03:37 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I recommend that she contact the local bar association for a referral to an attorney. I know it can be expensive, but perhaps the local bar association can put her in touch with an attorney that can help her for a reduced fee. I think she definitely needs a lawyer familiar with custody and family law to help untangle this. If you go w/out representation you are at a disadvantage to someone who is represented by an attorney.

Good luck with this!

Donna

there may be something like this offered in your state where an attorney will take on a family law matter for a reduced rate:

https://mvlslaw.org/judicare-family-...ced-fee-panel/
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 03:57 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I've worked with attorneys and in related fields, but I'm not an attorney either.

I would recommend Googling "pro bono legal services [your state]" or getting in touch with women's general support groups in your area to see if they know of anyone who offers free or reduced-fee legal services.

Good luck!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 04:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I've worked with attorneys and in related fields, but I'm not an attorney either.

I would recommend Googling "pro bono legal services [your state]" or getting in touch with women's general support groups in your area to see if they know of anyone who offers free or reduced-fee legal services.

Good luck!
+2

i used to be a board member for a pro bono legal service in our state (I was the treasurer/cpa). there's also the Legal Aid Society, where most states have their own chapter. other sources - YWCA and United Way.

anyway, you can call them once you find the one(s) nearest to you to get services.

edited to add - websites of the ones in my city:
http://www.vlsh.org/
http://www.legalaidhawaii.org/

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 06:21 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I'm retired from being a lawyer. My status is voluntarily inactive and I'm not authorized to practice law. My career was in criminal law (both sides, just not in the same decade).

I never handled a divorce case but I agree with what everyone else has said, and would add, she can't afford NOT to have a lawyer. You've already observed how unfair her situation is. If the boyfriend and his family get away with that, they will have no incentive to become fair. Also, if he/they have custody, they could sue her for child support payments. How would she feel in the future, if she has to explain to her child that she didn't lift a finger to get custody because it might have cost money?
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 07:41 PM  
bfit

I'm not a lawyer either, but we had some legal problems re: my husband's employer and also re: my grandmother's estate. I know from those experiences that just because someone signs something (notarized or not) it's not necessarily legal or legally binding. We could not really afford an attorney either, but we contacted the bar association who referred us to a young lawyer who was just starting out and not charging too much for his services. What we did spend was worth it.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 09:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm a paralegal, not a lawyer. I second all the recommendations to seek legal aid.

Options you can look into while searching for legal representation include going to the clerk's office and asking of they have any self-help family law guides available to the public. These can educate you on the process. Also check whether your local court has a web page - most courts have websites and you can do a party search to determine if those custody papers were ever filed in the courts. In my unofficial opinion, that agreement may not be valid in the first place.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 09:11 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm a paralegal, not a lawyer. I second all the recommendations to seek legal aid.

Options you can look into while searching for legal representation include going to the clerk's office and asking if they have any self-help family law guides available to the public. These can educate you on the process. Also check whether your local court has a web page - most courts have websites and you can do a party search to determine if those custody papers were ever filed in the courts. In my unofficial opinion, that agreement may not be valid in the first place.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 12:16 PM  
Izzy

I am not sure what state you live in but in my area we have Prairie State Legal Services. When I needed legal help, they were my saving grace and I didn't have to pay them anything. I would agree, contact your local Bar Association to see if there is something similar in your area.

Be careful about pro bono work. My attorney recommended through Prairie State was "pro bono" but continued to send me and harass me for payment. I contacted Prairie State and they took care of it. They told me they told him they were removing him from their Pro Bono list. Attorney's cannot list themselves as Pro bono and then bill clients. Plus Pro Bono attorney's can drag legal issues on forever because the pro bono cases are not their priority. I would look for legal aid first.

Again, your local bar association should have an updated list. Sometimes the best referrals are friends and family.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote