Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-17, 05:07 PM  
sherry7899

Anna-I love reading through cookbooks. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I pre-ordered the upcoming cookie cookbook from the Sally Baking Addiction blog. It already has the "look inside" feature on Amazon. It looks like there are a lot of recipes I'll be trying out (and giving away.....I cannot keep all that I bake!).

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 06:07 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Anna-I love reading through cookbooks. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I pre-ordered the upcoming cookie cookbook from the Sally Baking Addiction blog. It already has the "look inside" feature on Amazon. It looks like there are a lot of recipes I'll be trying out (and giving away.....I cannot keep all that I bake!).

Sherry
Oh, that looks nice!

I bake cookies every winter because it really does simplify holiday gifting. A plate full of treats almost never goes wrong. And for those who can't deal with sugar, luckily, roasted (unsalted) nuts are also handy. Not sure what I'd do if they had a nut/seed allergy.
Old 08-18-17, 06:30 PM  
isebelleg44

Anyone read Beartown by Fredrik Bachman? I just started it and really like it so far. I never thought I'd enjoy a book with highschool hockey being one of the key components of the book. I only read A Man Called Ove and this is quite the departure from that.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 06:32 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post

Sherry
Thanks for the heads up! I totally forgot about her blog. She has my all time favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 06:55 PM  
sherry7899

Anna- I do the same. My son's best friend's twin sister even wrote in my son's yearbook that she loves my baking I promised to still make them holiday cookies even though they graduated.

Isebelle- I made Sally's chocolate chip cookie bars for the graduation party of the friends mentioned above.
I also love the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the blog "Gimme Some Oven."

Back to books.....

Old 08-19-17, 03:35 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I'm enjoying the Inspector Bruno series by Martin Walker, cozy mysteries set in a small French village. I'm reading the second in the series right now, The Dark Vineyard.

I just went through a fluffy chic lit phase, rare for me, lol. I read the first three books in RaeAnne Thayne's Hope's Crossing series - Blackberry Summer, Woodrose Mountain, & Sweet Laurel Falls. I enjoyed them for the most part, they are easy reads.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 05:31 AM  
sherry7899

Pam-I enjoyed Raeanne Thayne. I kind of got out of reading that genre. You would probably like all her series. Have you read the author Sherryl Woods? Her series are similar-set in small towns with recurring characters. To be honest, I stopped reading those because they all starting to seem the same, but I liked them when I was into the genre.

You would probably enjoy Debbie Macomber's books as well.

Sherry

Old 08-19-17, 06:33 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sherry - I can see myself getting into the light chic lit here & there. They are all quite similar, couldn't read them all the time, but they make for fun & escapism now & then. Mysteries are my favorite genre. I read a couple of Debbie Macomber's books years ago. I searched Sherryl Woods on my library ebook site & they have lots of hers. I will check them out. I see she wrote Chesapeake Shores which has been filming very close to where I live. Thanks for the suggestions!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:39 AM  
Sandrine

Pam,
Thanks for mentioning the Inspector Bruno series--I'm always looking for cozy mysteries in interesting settings, and have gotten some great suggestions from this thread.

Currently reading They May Noy Mean To, But They Do for my library book discussion group. It fits into my current stage of life very nicely, as the main characters are elderly parents, and my mom and in-laws have moved/are moving to town this year. Reading Gilead for my church book discussion group. I've read 2 others by Marilynne Robinson and thought they were okay.

Reading a cozy mystery set in the (fictitious) library in the (real) Bodie Island lighthouse on NC's Outer Banks, which is pretty good. Can't remember the title (probably Lighthouse Library mystery, right? ) because I'm reading it on a basic Kindle. I use that for reading in bed; it doesn't hurt as much when it hits me in the face when I doze off!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:41 AM  
sherry7899

Pam, my favorite Sherryl Woods series was the Sweet Magnolias series:

The Sweet Magnolias

Stealing Home
A Slice of Heaven (Reissue in TP March 2015)
Feels Like Family
Welcome to Serenity
Home in Carolina
Sweet Tea at Sunrise
Honeysuckle Summer
Midnight Promises (July 2012)
Catching Fireflies (August 2012)
Where Azaleas Bloom (September 2012)
Swan Point (TP August 2014)

I think my favorite Debbie Macomber series was the Cedar Cove series. I could not get into the Hallmark series because they seemed to really change them from the books.

My favorite genre is psychological suspense. I need books that keep the plot moving!

Sherry

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading