Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-17, 10:37 AM  
rheash92

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin is one I read and liked. If you say more about your interests, I might be able to recommend others.

Judy, Dead Zone is my absolute favorite King book! And I agree, there are some political things that are eerily similar to our current climate. Like you, I've enjoyed most King books but found some to be hit or miss.
Thank you! I'll start with the Happiness Project. I'm looking for something to help me manage my stress better and try to develop a positive attitude in life so I can be happy. My life is really good but i fee like I find a problem with everything and most times I'm miserable. So looking for some self help books. Tanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 10:52 AM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Thank you! I'll start with the Happiness Project. I'm looking for something to help me manage my stress better and try to develop a positive attitude in life so I can be happy. My life is really good but i fee like I find a problem with everything and most times I'm miserable. So looking for some self help books. Tanks!
Here is one I'm planning on getting. I thought you might like this recommendation:
10% Happier by Dan Harris

I also just read The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, and while there were some useful nuggets of wisdom in there, I didn't find it all that helpful. I think i'm in the minority here though, because everyone seems to love Brene Brown!
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 11:13 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
My library had more than six books waiting for me.....luckily I can keep them out a month:

The Promise Girls-Marie Bostwick
I'm still reading this book. It's probably the slowest I've read any of her books. It's not bad, just not as engging as I like or expect from her.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 11:27 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm still reading this book. It's probably the slowest I've read any of her books. It's not bad, just not as engging as I like or expect from her.
I will put that one on the bottom of the pile.

I also got a book through inter- library loan called "The Garden of Small Beginnings" by Abbi Waxman. The main character has a wonderful sense of humor. I got sucked into the book right away.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 11:31 AM  
ncl

So far this summer, I have read:

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout, excellent
Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout, also excellent (I love how this author gets inside the characters minds)
Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham (really enjoyed, different from my usual read)
Dark Matter by Black Crouch (interesting, quick read, I enjoyed)
Beartown by Fredrik Backman (also excellent)
All the Summer Girls by Meg Donohue (good light summer read chick fiction for sure)

Currently, I am reading The Dry by Jane Harper, so far so good and listening to The almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson which is typical Joshilyn Jackson, but I like her so am enjoying.

I think my favorites have been the Elizabeth Strout novels.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 11:35 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman is a classic regarding how our thinking can change the way we feel. He updated his theory in the later book Authentic Happiness, but the original resonated with me more.

Suzie, I was meh about The Gifts of Imperfection too! In addition to being a psychologist, I'm a yoga teacher, and it seemed like everyone from my teacher training just LOVED this book in particular and Brene Brown in general. Like you, I found a few helpful things in the book, but the whole shame theory didn't really click with me. So glad that I am not the only one!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 01:55 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

ncl,
I have been wanting to read those two Elizabeth Strout novels. I really liked Olive Kitterdge. Is the Dreamland Burning about the Dreamland fire in Oney Island in 1911?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 02:13 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
Here is one I'm planning on getting. I thought you might like this recommendation:
10% Happier by Dan Harris

I also just read The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, and while there were some useful nuggets of wisdom in there, I didn't find it all that helpful. I think i'm in the minority here though, because everyone seems to love Brene Brown!
Dan also has a 10% Happier podcast that you could check out.
Old 07-19-17, 02:58 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
ncl,
I have been wanting to read those two Elizabeth Strout novels. I really liked Olive Kitterdge.
I just finished Anything Is Possible this past weekend and really enjoyed it. I read My Name is Lucy Barton last year, so it was no longer fresh in my head and I wish it was. These books were small, but both packed a big punch.

I need to read Olive Kitteridge now.

I binged read Close Enough To Touch yesterday, because I was home sick. It was about a young woman who was deathly allergic to human touch and became a recluse, until she was forced out into the real world. It was an interesting subject and a quick read, but something was missing. The library copy I had included the first chapter from the author's other book, Before I Go and of course I got sucked in.

Up next is another library book, The Last Place You Look.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 03:27 PM  
sherry7899

Isebelle- I remember liking "Before I Go" even though it was very sad. I just got the author's other book from the library. I hope that you are feeling better.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading