Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-11, 07:52 PM  
pumptmuscle

Has anyone else never done a rotational program (P90x, CLX, etc)?

This past week has been a very interesting one. I've actually thought of making this post a while ago but after what's happened recently, this is a good time for it.

My library has a program called inter-loan where you can order items from other libraries and have them sent to your's. Normally, things take about a week to come in, especially since I always order older items.

A long time ago, at least a year and maybe even 1.5 years, I ordered P90x from them. This was also around the same time I got the CLX set through trade. I'd put the order out of my mind a while back but the P90x set came in last week. My first thought was to not even bother picking it up since it wasn't really something I was interested in now. I decided I may as well get it since I'd waited so long and this was my chance to check it out.

The set has been sitting, barely touched, since I got it. Why? Because I just don't like formal rotations; I've never done one or even started one. CLX has been sitting pretty much untouched since I got it, too. I think everyone's different and for me, I really like spontaneity and variety. I often don't even know which workout I'll do when I first wake up. Even the thought of being locked into a workout schedule causes strong feelings of uneasiness. I also think the tendency with such a program is that once it's over, the results will disappear, at least to a degree, so why bother? The whole concept has such a temporary feel to it. Like a woman who loses weight just for her wedding and never looks like that again, why bother doing something so stringent just to have those great results go away, possibly never even seeing them again? For those like myself who are focused on long-term fitness and success, programs like this really seem to be sending the wrong message. Don't get me wrong, the workouts themselves are great but after looking at the materials included in the set, the focus is strongly on doing the full program. That's the main point I'm making here.

Has anyone else never finished a formal rotational program, whether as a set or maybe even something printed in a "do this workout today, do that tomorrow..." format? Have you never even started one, like me?

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 08:00 PM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
I've never done one and I have no intention of ever doing one. I'm a variety junkie, so doing the same workouts over and over again just isn't for me. And, like you, I feel like it's a temporary thing. Like, will my butt stay lifted when I'm no longer doing BBL? Rotations feel like a diet to me and I don't believe in those, either. I lost 65 pounds doing something different every day and I've kept it off for a year now. I'll just keep mixing it up, thanks!
Old 11-03-11, 08:15 PM  
edensmom

I've done a few strict rotations. If I enjoy it and am making gains it's not too hard to stick to. Right now I'm not doing a specific rotation and I am floundering a bit. I say give it a try!
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 08:17 PM  
rhbrand

A full one. No. I can do a couple weeks, maybe up to a month, then I get bored and move on to something else.

Best I ever did was New rules of Lifting. Got through about 2 months of that.
Old 11-03-11, 08:25 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

My energy level fluctuates from day to day so I have to wake up in the morning and see how I feel before I can pick out a workout.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 08:31 PM  
txfitmom

I have never completed a full rotation. I always tweak things, add workouts, change things around. It is just in my nature to do that since I find it fun to change things up a lot. I like variety as well, so if I want to do a system then I just do fun workouts on alternate days so I don't feel locked into one thing. For example, right now I am doing STS mesocycle 1 and I am doing the workouts every other day and on the alternate days I can do other workouts I have in my collection. Keeps me from getting bored and lets me have a little dose of other instructors.

I think variety is good in losing weight, you do want to change things up fairly often, however, there is a point where it helps to stick with something for a little while as well to build up strength, endurance, etc. It is good to keep a balance between both. I don't think systems were necessarily created to be followed exactly as they were designed, they are mostly for someone to know what workout to do next, what body part to work, etc, but if you know how to put workouts together on your own then you can skip the system and create your own.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 08:54 PM  
fatkat555

I did a full Firm 90 day rotation from the old days. It was hard to maintain, but I did it. I've toyed with the idea of doing another rotation, but I have to say I don't like having my workouts planned for me. I think, for me anyway, it takes the fun out of choosing a workout on my own and that's why I exercise with videos at home - to have the independence to choose my own fun. If someone makes that decision for me, that takes part of the fun away and makes it (exercise) more a chore.

Also, I like being able to dial it down when I'm not quite feeling well, or dialing it up when I feel like doing a tough workout.

Don't know if that helps you or not.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 09:17 PM  
EnglishIvy

I go through long periods of time where I choose my daily workout based on my prevailing whim. But I always go back to rotations a few times per year because by far I have had the best results (very strong/lean) when on them. I find that if I do that a few times per year, I keep most of my fitness gains so it's really nothing like "losing weight for a wedding". It actually does lead to long-term fitness and success.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 03:36 AM  
topfitmama

Kauaigirl: I admire anyone who loses a large amount of weight and keeps it off.

Bob
I guess I feel like you when it comes to rotations. I even rebell agains my own rotation plans! I tried to stick to one instructor's workouts for one month and by the third week I was craving someone else's voice and teaching style. I tried to do Slim in 6 last summer (with some barre thrown in for good measure) and by the 3rd week I was already including other AWT workouts. By the end of summer I didn't want to see them any more!

Exercise is not only about "results" for me. Like you said, I'm not exercising or dieting for a specific event. It's a lifestyle for me, and like others here, I wonder what comes next after a rotation?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 03:46 AM  
Katri

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
I don't like having my workouts planned for me. I think, for me anyway, it takes the fun out of choosing a workout on my own and that's why I exercise with videos at home - to have the independence to choose my own fun. If someone makes that decision for me, that takes part of the fun away and makes it (exercise) more a chore.

Also, I like being able to dial it down when I'm not quite feeling well, or dialing it up when I feel like doing a tough workout.
I feel the same way. I've never done a rotation, and I choose my workout based on how I'm feeling. Some weeks I only want to do barre workouts and Leslie, some weeks I do several KCM or Firm workouts, but as soon as I want to do something else, I will.

Tags
clx, p90x, rotation, rotations