Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-11, 09:58 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm another VFer who could be a poster child for CLX. LOVE this program. Like others on this thread, this program was amazing for me. It finally got the scale moving after it not wanting to bulge when I hit peri-menopause and menopause.

I did not diet with this program. Instead, I used the Lose It app and recorded what I ate for two weeks to find any hidden calories that I might have been consuming. I was shocked to see how much calories my morning cup of coffee had, so I eliminated my beloved coffee creamer, and started making a healthier version. I really believe in not depriving yourself, so I allow everything in moderation.

I did CLX for 15 months straight before shelving it and moving on to mainly kettlebell training and bodyweight circuits on my own. You can get really strong with CLX. Since my background is natural bodybuilding (and being naturally strong thanks to my parents), I do lift heavier, and I did lift quite heavy during the Push phase.

Each phase has a real purpose. I know a lot of people were frustrated with the Burn and Lean phase, but it is important to trust the plan. The Burn phase is the foundation phase (like building a house). Even though you can lift heavier for your lower body, go with the flow. Use the poundage that you can handle for your upper body and really focus on isometric tension for your lower body. You'll get a much better workout for your lower body by really focusing on keeping your lower body tight.

The Lean phase is different, and it is really worth watching the workouts first and even doing a test run with the workout you find the most odd. This is what I did and I'm glad I did. I normally don't preview workouts, and if I followed the norm, I most likely would have shelved CLX. NOTHING has worked my body at a neuro muscular level like the Lean phase. I shook like crazy, and even my sweat was different.

The only thing that I found that needed to be revamped was the rotation that came with CLX. I did revise it to make it more balanced.

Anyway, I highly recommend CLX. It really is different than most programs.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 06:19 PM  
Heather308

Debbie S - I can't thank you enough for your review of the program. Now I'm really looking forward to getting started on it. My husband may even try it with me. Question.....where did you post your revised rotation, or would you mind posting it again, please?

Many, many thanks!
Heather308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 12:48 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

I have posted so many times about how much I love CLX I am afraid someone will call me a shill. I lost 30 lbs doing CLX. I still use the workouts all the time since I workout with my sis and she flat out refuses to do anything else. Her thinking is if it works keep doing it. She lost 20 lbs and gained really great looking muscle tone. We are both in our 50's. Neither one of us own a weight over 2W0 lbs. I use my 8, 10, 12, 15 lbers for a lot of exercises. I use 5s for the warm up. Sometimes I use bands when I need to baby my crummy right elbow (chronic tennis elbow). I might modify and do planks instead of push ups for the same reason. I love the modifiers in the program. Some of the moves that at first seemed weird or tricky are now some of my favs. I never make it through the entire cardio without doing something following a modifier. I hate the yoga and never do it. It is also time efficient since the longest workout is less than 45 min. I also did not follow the diet that came with the program, but used the Lose It ap. I watched the amount of food I was putting in my mouth. Extras add up fast. CLX is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 04:42 AM  
Heather308

Thank you, too, for your wonderful review, ilovemygreatdane! I am now looking forward more than ever to get my new program. Question.....did your legs bulk up doing CLX?
Heather308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 06:22 AM  
akaAnnie

This thread has me tempted to try CLX again. Debbie S., I find your insights as to the purpose of each phase interesting and I will keep it in mind if I try it again(I'd also be interested in how you modified the rotation). I had trouble getting heavy enough weights last time but over the summer I found a set of dumbbells at a yard sale(10 pairs,5-40 lbs plus rack for $75...I still can't believe my luck)so I'm better prepared. I also have to be better at fueling my workouts.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 06:37 AM  
MelissaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather308 View Post
Thank you, too, for your wonderful review, ilovemygreatdane! I am now looking forward more than ever to get my new program. Question.....did your legs bulk up doing CLX?
Heather, I did 4 rotations of CLX. After the first rotation, I did notice that my legs bulked up - something I did not want. So, for the next 3 rotations I just didn't lift as heavy for the leg exercises. I didn't think my legs would bulk up from previous workouts I've done, but I also never went as heavy as I did with CLX.

Good luck, I hope you love CLX as much as I do!
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 07:52 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I'm another one who always rave about this program. I consider it my best fitness purchase ever. I think the highest weight that I used was 30 or 35 pounds. I purchased some power blocks when I started it. I lost 20 pounds and toned up really nicely. Honestly, I need to stop buying new programs so I can do this one again.....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 09:22 AM  
txfitmom

For those of you who have lost weight using CLX, which phase did you see the most results?
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 09:38 AM  
melfitz

I got the best leg definition from CLX. I think it must have been the bowling lunges. After doing CLX for a LOOOOONG time, I switched it up by doing other workouts. I noticed that my leg muscles didn't look as defined. After noticing that, I always include bowling lunges. I think it's the emphasis on putting the weight on the heel on the working leg (and sticking your hips/butt out) and no weight on the supporting leg that makes a difference. Curtsy lunges aren't the same. LOVE CLX! The variety of exercises are awesome and I LOVE the balance exercises, especially in Lean.
melfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 09:58 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Heather, I hope you and your hubby enjoy CLX.

txfitmom, the Lean phase is where the results really kicked in. It is normally to lose during the Burn phase, gain a little back during the Push phase, and then really seeing results during the Lean phase.

This is my revised version of the CLX rotation and the CLX maintenance phases. I also created an abbreviated CLX rotation that is quite challenging. For now, here is what you'll need to get started:

Debbie's revised CLX rotation

Burn Phase:

Burn 1-Chest, shoulders, legs
Burn 2-Biceps, triceps, back, legs
Burn 3-Shoulders, legs

Day 1 - Burn 1
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Burn 2
Day 4 - Burn Intervals + Ab Burner Disc 6
Day 5 - Burn 3
Day 6 - Burn it Off + Recharge Disc 5

Push Phase:

Push-3-Back, chest, legs
Push 2-Shoulders, legs
Push 1-Biceps, Triceps, legs

Day 1 - Push 3
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Push 2
Day 5 - Push 1

Lean Phase:

Lean 3-Chest, Shoulders & minimal Legs
Lean 1-Arms, Legs
Lean 2-Back, Iso Shoulders, Legs

Day 1 - Lean 3
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Lean 1
Day 5 - Lean 2

My revised maintenance phase:

Week 1:
Lean 3-Chest, Shoulders & minimal Legs
Burn 2-Arms, Bac k, Legs
Push 2-Shoulders & minimal Legs

Day 1 - Lean 3
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Burn 2
Day 4 - Get Lean Intervals + I've Got Abs Disc 7
Day 5 - Lean 2
Day 6 - Fat Burn Challenge Disc 7+ Recharge Disc 5

Week 2:
Burn 1-Chest, Iso Shoulders, Legs
Push 1-Arms, Legs
Lean 2-Back, Iso Shoulders, Legs

Day 1 - Burn 1
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Push 1
Day 5 - Lean 2

Week 3:
Push 3-Back, Chest, Legs
Lean 1-Arms, Legs
Burn 3-Shoulders, Legs

Day 1 - Push 3
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Lean 1
Day 5 - Burn 3

For cardio, I did add more cardio, mainly a 15-25 minute cardio workout before my CLX strength workouts. Nothing too intense, just enough to break a sweat. I also ran on Tuesdays.

You could switch change the days 4 & 6, too.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalean extreme, clx, clx results