Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-11, 11:06 AM  
daisyfit

Chalean Extreme

Is Chalean Extreme worth buying? Does the program work?
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 11:13 AM  
caligurl

it's very worth buying! i LOVE the weight sections! i did the actual rotation one time through with her cardio... and added a 30 minute treadmill on weight days. then i've done it several times since where i do my own cardio but use the weight workouts (again with 30 minutes of treadmill before the weight work!)
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 11:30 AM  
Fidget Queen

I can't do it anymore, but I LOVE IT.

It's the longest I've ever managed to do a rotation (2x - but not all the way through ) and I saw a quick and marked improvement in strength and muscle mass. They're short, and for the weight portion, you're only obligated 3x per week. Sometimes I would do more of the workouts per week (according to the rotation), but if I was tired or extremely busy, I'd only do the weight workouts.

I only can't do it anymore because I have a problematic SI joint, and I have to be very careful with certain moves. I'm trading it away, but it was a VERY difficult decision. I think you'll love it.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 12:25 PM  
DachsieDogMom

Its totally worth buying. I really like this program.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 12:54 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Here are reviews of this program from VF. I liked Blackadar's review; it gives good pro and con info.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 01:16 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

I also really enjoyed the program. I did a full rotation last summer following my P90X rotation. It was refreshing to have the shorter workouts!
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 10:10 AM  
lingo10

im starting it, i did it before but never continued. Its a really great strength workout. <3

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 12:44 PM  
janeomi
VF Supporter

I had great results from this program and am now on round#2. I thought it was a blast! The cardio gets old so now I go to spin and Zumba classes instead but the strength workouts are awesome. I even liked the yoga workout.
janeomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 01:27 PM  
PhyllisG

I didn't like this program at all. I did it right after finishing STS and liked STS much more. Chalene drove me crazy. I thought some of the exercises were awkward with such heavy weight. I also didn't like that Chalene would walk around commenting on the others. The warmups are all the same and I got tired of them. I did finish the whole rotation and gave it away. Not for me but then again I dislike all things Chalene. I hate being screamed at. "Go heavy or go home". As far as results--nothing really. I certainly didn't lose any weight tho that was not a priority. If anything my clothes were tighter and I wasn't happy with that either. Much preferred Cathe's STS. I know I am in the minority here.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 01:36 PM  
Blackadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I didn't like this program at all. I did it right after finishing STS and liked STS much more. Chalene drove me crazy. I thought some of the exercises were awkward with such heavy weight. I also didn't like that Chalene would walk around commenting on the others. The warmups are all the same and I got tired of them. I did finish the whole rotation and gave it away. Not for me but then again I dislike all things Chalene. I hate being screamed at. "Go heavy or go home". As far as results--nothing really. I certainly didn't lose any weight tho that was not a priority. If anything my clothes were tighter and I wasn't happy with that either. Much preferred Cathe's STS. I know I am in the minority here.
I'm not sure that's entirely a fair comparison. You're lifting for close to an hour in STS and doing something like 20-25 different exercises. In CLX, you're lifting for just over half an hour and doing 9 different exercises. When it comes right down to it, STS is just far more difficult than CLX. There's nothing in CLX that has you doing pull-ups or 50-60 pushups in a row like STS. A better comparison for STS is P90X, not CLX.

So yeah, if you did STS, CLX would be a step back. But for those who don't have much lifting experience, are very out of shape or don't have a ton of equipment, STS may not even be doable. In my opinion, CLX is geared more towards beginner-intermediate exercisers and STS is geared more towards advanced vidiots.

Tags
chalean extreme, chalene, chalene johnson, clx