Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-11, 03:10 PM  
Lissa

Is the only difference between the basic and maximum kit the 23lb. tubing? Just wondering if I should just get the basic kit since it is cheaper.

Thanks,
~Lissa
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 03:36 PM  
Non-Dancer

I have successfully avoided even wanting CLX until now. Does this system have a background exerciser using tubing throughout the program? I have the Bodylastics bands and don't use them nearly enough, but I can't think of exercises to do on my own to replicate an exercise shown with dumbbells. I'm thinking I may want this set if the band alternative is shown throughout the workouts.

Thanks.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 03:58 PM  
donnamp

hi Linda,

I do believe that Donna the modifier shows the exercises w/ the band. I'm getting tempted!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 03:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

bands still allowed me to maintain my weight loss that i achieved during the Burn phase.

i was "forced" to use bands toward the end of the Burn circuit. after that, i used bands in the Push and Lean phases. during the Burn phase when i used dumbbells, i noticed my back started hurting. it wasn't from the moves in the workouts but rather how my weights are accessed.

although you can increase poundage w/this series, if you don't have a rack to assist you in accessing your weights, you'll need to squat to get them. even with the best of form, getting them into position could still cause you to strain your back.

whereas if you're in a gym setting, your weights would be at thigh-level, or maybe your barbell would be at shoulder-level (or if you're doing heavy bench presses, it would be in a rack above your body).

i used a combination of B-line bands, nike bands, and some other brand band. in some cases, i doubled up on the bands of varying resistances to get more resistance. i was more feeling the burn rather than keeping numerical track of poundage or poundage equivalents.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 09:03 AM  
Kesal

This weekend, I went through the Burn Circuit "Band Basics" instructional (and skimmed through the Push and Lean instructionals). Today, I did Burn Circuit 1. The bands seemed to work well, although I think they will be more effective for upper body moves than for lower body.

I have 3 B-Lines (pink - 17lb, magenta - 20lb, and red - 30lb), and a set of "stackable" clip bands ranging from 2-25 lbs. I set those up to be about 25 and 35lbs (all of these weights are the equivalent of a pair of dumbells, so in effect my range today was something like 8.5lbs per hand to 17.5lbs per hand... with the stackables, I'll be able to get as much as 22lbs per hand using 2 bands together or about 27lbs using 3). The B-Lines are 6' long, and my other bands are only 4', so they're not exactly interchangable. But they're both OK. I'm not sure I'll be able to use the shorter bands for overhead presses, but there weren't any in Burn Circuit 1. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I have two pairs of stackable handles and each of my B-Lines has its own handle. My first impression is that I don't think I'd want to try this workout with fewer than 3 or 4 handles. I think you'd always have to be pausing to reclip the bands, and it would get to be a drag. So if you're ordering Bodylastics, you may want to consider throwing an extra pair or two of handles into your order if they're not expensive. Although maybe with practice, switching the bands around will get easier.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 09:25 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Linda, yes, both CLX and P90X has someone doing the workouts with bands.

Something we need to remember; our muscles have no idea what type of resistance we are using. Bands do work well. Just be sure that you take the time to set up properly, even if you have to pause the DVD. It is easy to tweak a muscle using bands, so setting up is crucial.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 07:52 PM  
Kesal

I just completed the Burn phase using resistance bands. Mostly. They work well enough for circuits 1 and 3, but I found them awkward for a number of moves in circuit 2. That workout has a lot of rows and triceps extensions, and I used my 10 lb dumbbells for those. That might have been a bit light, but not too bad.

My B-lines, which are 6 feet long, work better for almost all moves than my 4 foot long clipable bands (I believe that Bodylastics are also 4' bands).
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 06:37 AM  
bubbles76

I tried Burn Circuit 1 with the bodylastics tubing. I also watched the band basics, so I had a pretty good idea of how to use the tubing. Sad to say, the moves felt awkward and tweaked me wrong somehow. I went lighter on the weights so that I could do form properly, and I still felt like something was off. Additionally, I don't think it did anything for my lower body. I'm so glad a VFer loaned me her CLX! I'm disappointed, but maybe I will just try the liveexercise website again. Or maybe my Powerfit. The whole point for me getting CLX would have been to use it as a tubing workout. Oh well!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 09:36 AM  
donnamp

Thanks for the report on these, Bubbles! You may have saved me some$$!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 11:01 AM  
Exercise Diva

I recently bought a set of Bodylastic bands, but i'm worried about hurting my doors (i know they say you can't with their anchor) but my DH will not be happy if that happens. I can see how you would get a great workout (even better possibly than with weights) with bands. I'm thinking of getting the Everywhere Anchor to solve the door problem. Anyone here use one of those and do you like it? It allows you to attach the bands to a stationary object like a tree or pole.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalean extreme, chalene, chalene johnson, clx, resistance tubing