Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-12, 02:33 PM  
pollytc

Advice Needed: 90 Day Revolution, CLX, or P90X?

I'm in need of some opinions so I can make a decision on which program to do. I workout, but I'm overweight. I started Jillian's 90 Day Revolution last month, and was into my 2nd week when I took a tumble (unrelated to working out). Since then, I've been reading and watching alot of CLX and P90X reviews/results on websites and youtube. It really peaked my interest. I know no matter what I do, it will take many rounds and a clean diet to lose the weight I need to lose. So right now (in addition to a clean diet) I want to lose mainly inches (weight too of course......but that comes with the clean diet!).

I've never really followed a formal rotation before. If you were in my shoes, which system would you do? Eventually I want to do them all. :-). I would probably add extra cardio to whichever system I go with.

Thanks in advance for giving me your input!!!

Kim
Old 05-17-12, 02:48 PM  
mspina

Kim,

Since you are familiar with them to some extent with the research you've done, which one is really grabbing you? I think the most important aspect for you will be sticking to whatever program you choose. Can you devote an hour, 6 days a week to the X? If that seems like it would be a stretch, then don't start there. CLX is great in that it's very time efficient, but you have to lift heavy to get the results talked about in the program. Do you have weights to go REALLY heavy? If not, are you willing to invest?

Just a few questions to get you thinking about which one might click best to start.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 03:20 PM  
zippity

I agree with everything Kim wrote...

P90X and/or CLX will get you strong and fit!

I don't know anything about 90 Day BR, However, since you already have 90 Day Body Revolution, why don't you finish it first, then do either CLX or P90X...
Old 05-17-12, 04:02 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Are you partial to weight training or cardio, or does it not matter? I think that heavy weight training can sometimes interfere with losing weight. You do put on extra muscle, but the body sometimes holds onto fat as well when you're building muscle. The Jillian Michaels program might be the best choice for you right now. Another possibility is Supreme 90 because it's so inexpensive.
Old 05-17-12, 04:09 PM  
wookiemouse

I agree about finishing Jillian first. I did 30-day Shred for about a year until I could do it without breaking a sweat, THEN I tackled P90X and found it relatively easy. The biggest thing about P90X is the time commitment - an hour a day, 6 days a week, for 90 days. That's a lot. I personally didn't get huge results from it - mostly it increased my stamina!

CLX is a great alternative as well, it's the one program I really saw changes in my body. It's a lot shorter - the weight workouts are 30-40 mins, 3x a week. But you will need heavier weights by the Push phase, unless you're comfortable using bands. I paired with with C25K (did my run, then did the weights) and didn't lose much weight, but did drop several clothing sizes.

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 06:56 PM  
pollytc

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. I do have light to very heavy weights, and every gadget in fitness at this point. SIGH! I think I'm going to do Jillian's 90 Day Body Revolution, and then re-evaluate after that what I want to do. Plus with Jillian's being 30 minutes, I can actually do additional cardio in the evenings.
Old 05-23-12, 10:40 PM  
workoutgal7

I'm a 3 time CLX grad, and I've started P90X I don't even know how many times and never finished. I'm now starting Jillian's 90 day JMBR. Out of all the programs, I have to say, CLX is my favorite. P90X is too long every day and even though I loved the first month, that's usually as far as I get. I've gotten to month 2 once. I like Jillian's program, but I'm missing the heavy weights. Maybe preview some workouts on youtube and see what works best for you. P90X is amazing, if you can stick with it and if you love it. You have to do what you like!
Old 05-24-12, 06:15 AM  
icebergslim

If you are looking to losing weight and lifting heavy, definitely up the cardio here. Lifting heavy will help you to lose inches, but weight, up the cardio. But, I agree with Jane P., Supreme 90 Day is a pretty balanced program as far as cardio and heavy weight lifting. It is not expensive and worth a glance.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 09:08 AM  
pollytc

I am doing CLX. I'm very excited because according to my scales at home, I'm down in lbs. I'm not going to measure again until after my 4th week, but I'm already noticing a small change around my middle. :-) However, I am adding in a few extra cardio sessions.

Did I mention I'm excited?!?! lol

Tags
90 day body revolution, clx, p90x