Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 10-28-09, 10:43 PM  
jerebo

Running pants/tights for petites

Hi all,

I need to find some warm running pants/tights (I'm ready for sub-freezing temperatures) that will fit my 5'2" frame. Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-09, 11:24 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Well darn, I was hoping for some responses. If you wear a smaller size, 4 or 6 you may want to hit your local sportings goods store and try on some children's Armour All or under armour or whatever that brand is.

I'm a little chunky and that is super hard to find. Even just pants to run in. I've been cutting off 10 dollar Danskin pants from walmart. So I need a petite medium.

We're on our second major winter storm, everything's closed, and it's not even Halloween. So if I want to get outside I need some warm pants.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 11:39 AM  
laurajhawk

I'm 5'1" and my Under Armour ColdGear tights fit well. Tights are a little easier than pants, cause if they bunch slightly around your ankles it's ok. The Under Armours don't bunch enough to cause problems with my socks.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 02:46 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

So, how is your weather Laura? LOL, I heard you guys were getting hit hard too. blech. Need to work extra to make money for spring trip somewhere tropical.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 04:24 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
So, how is your weather Laura? LOL, I heard you guys were getting hit hard too.
Yeah, I literally haven't left the house today, though I could; roads are fine. I decided to work at home today anyway after all of yesterday's dire warnings. I think we have about a foot and a half of snow and my least favorite thing .... cold wind.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 07:34 PM  
jerebo

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadnt considered trying children's clothes. That just might work.

I also did find (though they're not exactly cheap) that Sporthill makes SOME of their running pants and tights in three lengths. And they have their products broken down by temperature zone. I found a few others on running warehouse.

Can I rant for a moment-- why must one always pay a premium for "specialty" sizes? Why do lines only offer a fraction of their product in those styles. If the AVERAGE height for a woman in the US is 5'4, that means that fully half of the population must be under 5'4.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I feel better.
Old 10-30-09, 07:44 PM  
Sheila S.
VF Supporter

Have you looked at Athleta? Their petites are a 28 inch inseam. I don't know if that would work for you or not.

I just received 2 pair of running pants from them. Not cheap but the quality seems good so far.

Sheila S.
Sheila S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 07:51 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I was going to suggest Athleta and Lucy (www.lucy.com). Both have petite sizes but are expensive. If you get on the Lucy email list, they send coupons regularly and everything there goes on sale (usually to 50% off) eventually. I think quality of both companies is very good (but not really good enough to warrant the price).
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 08:55 PM  
jerebo

Thanks for the suggestion for lucy and athleta. I hadn't heard of either place; I'll take a look.
Old 10-30-09, 10:44 PM  
azelizabeth

I also recommend checking out sierra trading. I got the best pair of I think new Balance lined running tights. It is hit or miss with them but I have often found great brands at 40+% off plus a coupon on top. I always read the reviews and find out how things fit.

Today I picked up a pair of Lucy power capri tights... I am in AZ so they will do this time of year.

I am a short pear... so I always need something narrow enough for my waist yet full enough for my hips along with short enough as I am only 5'2.

Elizabeth
azelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote