Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-18, 08:48 PM  
Mickey12

trip to Alaska

My husband and I are thinking of taking a trip to Alaska. We've gone to several travel agents and gotten information on cruises and land excursions with tour guides. Does anyone have any tips to share or recommendations on must-see excursions?

We have a pretty good idea of what we want to do, but I was just looking for some other points of view. We are planning for June, 2019.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 09:31 PM  
Pam

I have some friends who live on a remote part of the same island Sitka is on. They also have a sailboat and I have bee fortunate to travel 5 or 6 times in the area. So, have seen and talked to people on a number of cruises. If I was to go on a cruise I would choose a small cruise ship as they can put into smaller bays and be closer to the shore, where you will see more wildlife in the water and on the land.

I think a place. not to be missed is Glacier Bay.
Old 03-24-18, 11:47 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise in May and I've been doing tons of research. If you want, PM me with questions. I'd be happy to answer anything I can.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 12:35 AM  
DCW

Hi everyone!

We are planning for a trip July 2019 for an Alaskan cruise. Any tips are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 05:09 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Our first cruise was an Alaskan cruise a very long time ago and it is still one of my favorite trips ever. This was a very long time ago, so things have probably changed some, but a couple of tips include:

1. There is a tramway in the middle of Juneau. From the top, you can get some great views. If you do this, don't buy the tickets through the cruise line. They are cheaper to buy yourself when you get there.

2. Take a wildlife viewing excursion. Ours was a highlight of the trip.

3. Take layers because you never know what the weather will be like. We went in May and assumed it would be cool. That year, it was warmer in Alaska than it was back home.

Have fun. It's on my bucket list to go back someday.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 05:31 AM  
IceQueen07

We took a cruise three years ago and it was the best vacation. We didn't book any of the excursions through the cruise, did it on our own. We did a tour by float plane and we rented a jeep and drove the Yukon trail into Canada and back (there is enough time to do in a day) it was a beautiful trip and nice to get away from the crowds. Lots to see on both excursions. I have been wanting to go back so much.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 07:43 AM  
Mickey12

Thanks everyone for the positive vibes. It really seems like everyone who goes to Alaska loves it. Karen, I am going to PM you.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 12:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've been to Alaska three times over the years. It is a beautiful, wonderful place! Try to get a ship small enough to get into Glacier Bay. (Before it is gone!)

And there are several excursions that take you to sled dog camps and you can play with the puppies. That was great!

There is some good info at the Cruise Critic site. You can even look up recent reviews of your ship.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1353

Several caveats:

* If you get queasy, book a cabin near the center of the ship. Less rocking.

* Bring insect repellant. The mosquitos can be fierce depending on the time of year and port of call.

* Many cruise lines really gouge on the photos they take of you (especially on Formal Nights). Be prepared for outrageous photo package prices.

* On our last cruise there was a "Jewelry Guide" person who recommended jewelry shops at each port. She gave out coupons for freebies that ended up being junk just to get you into a certain store. They would then try to up-sell you to something more expensive. There are a lot of shopping scams. Be careful and shop around at other stores to find fair prices for souvenirs.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 08:24 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Are you set on taking a cruise to Alaska? My husband and I drove to Alaska two years ago from Southern California I think, if you have the time, it's the best way to go. Frankly we felt much of what we saw in the Yukon was more beautiful than what we saw in Alaska. There's something about driving and meeting locals everywhere you stop that adds to the trip.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 09:54 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Are you set on taking a cruise to Alaska? My husband and I drove to Alaska two years ago from Southern California I think, if you have the time, it's the best way to go. Frankly we felt much of what we saw in the Yukon was more beautiful than what we saw in Alaska. There's something about driving and meeting locals everywhere you stop that adds to the trip.
Paula, how long was your vacation? (Question from someone who would love to go to Alaska, but gets sea sick!) Carly
carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, off topic