Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-18, 02:04 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I'm pretty sure this isn't a show many people want to watch to relax at the end of the day. It is definitely thought provoking, unsettling, sometimes disturbing, and poses moral questions regarding the bounds of technology. We find it fascinating and have had great discussions after viewing some episodes.

But it is not for everyone. Sometimes, you just want Beauty and the Beast.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 02:29 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
I'm pretty sure this isn't a show many people want to watch to relax at the end of the day. It is definitely thought provoking, unsettling, sometimes disturbing, and poses moral questions regarding the bounds of technology. We find it fascinating and have had great discussions after viewing some episodes.

But it is not for everyone. Sometimes, you just want Beauty and the Beast.
The show is definitely not relaxing! It is really thought provoking, which is what we enjoy about it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 02:40 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Same here, Sherry! Inspires some great discussions!
Old 01-02-18, 06:02 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I’m in the middle of the Christmas special from Season 2. I had to read through some episode summaries to figure out what the heck was going on in the previous episodes. Now that I know it’s all about technology, I understand it a tiny bit more. I’m usually so confused that I sit there thinking “This is just so dumb.” The Christmas one seems okay - so far.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 06:41 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The show is definitely not relaxing! It is really thought provoking, which is what we enjoy about it.
This is what we enjoy about Black Mirror, too! Yes, technology can do some wonderful things, but it can also have a dark side. But watching this show has reinforced why we don't want an Alexa or Google Home device. Who wants Big Brother listening and recording you???
Old 01-03-18, 09:05 AM  
cttx31

I really liked Nosedive and Arkangel. I started a couple of others but just didn't like them and turned it off. I will try a few more.
cttx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 01:13 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Hazel, we have watched five episodes total. The only one I wasn't crazy about was "metalhead." All the others were totally engrossing.

The episode "Hang the DJ" was really good, and of course they used the song with that title by The Smiths at the end.

Sherry
I ed Hang the DJ -- it was refreshing to find one that was had such a sweet ending! Metalhead (that's the one with the robotic dog, right?) reminded me of The Shining, which made it that much creepier.

We watched Playtest (from Season 3, I think?) last night. THAT was really disturbing -- I told my son we'd have to discuss it later and I'm still trying to unpack it. I only got the whole "levels of play" thing this morning. I think (it was kind of like "Inception", I think).

Charlie Booker would be an interesting dinner companion, though.
Old 01-03-18, 01:19 PM  
sherry7899

Hazel, I am such a chicken. I never watched "The Shining." My husband and son watched it a few winters ago at night during a snowstorm with high winds, which is the creepiest way to see it. They kept the lights off. I stayed upstairs reading a book!

Metalhead was the one with the robotic dog.

I have to look up "Playtest."

My son said the last episode of Season four has the actor who played the character Todd on Breaking Bad, and Aaron Paul's voice is in the episode. I definitely want to watch that next!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 11:51 AM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
My son said the last episode of Season four has the actor who played the character Todd on Breaking Bad, and Aaron Paul's voice is in the episode. I definitely want to watch that next!

Sherry
Oh, that one was intense (Black Museum). I hate to say I "liked" some of these episodes because they are so dark, but it was really well-done. Ryan (DS) claimed he figured it out before the very end, but I was completely taken by surprise.

But I'll have to go back and look for Jesse Plemons. I wonder which one he was -- he is such a chameleon, I'm not surprised I missed it -- it took me until the fourth or fifth episode of Season 2 of Fargo to realize he was the butcher married to Kirsten Dunst.
Old 01-04-18, 12:04 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

He's in the 2nd or 3rd to last episode of latest season. Has a Star Trek kinda theme. At first I felt sorry for him and definitely changed my mind!

Tags
off topic