Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-19, 08:50 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Hook, line and sinker for me

I Have the Peloton Bike and absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Worth every penny. I have probably already gotten my money's worth out of it. I still do other exercise. I participate in the Power Zone Challenges (so it's perfect for me). More on the lines of Spinervals or endurance training. I used the app for awhile, but I love the metrics ON screen for me. I like seeing measurable changes in my fitness. I like seeing when I'm in the right zone and what I have to reach for. I'm a numbers person, so the on screen metrics are my friend!! I know people who pay much, much more for their road bikes. Is it overpriced? Maybe, but I went spin bike shopping before I bought the Peloton. I'm a Clydesdale, I wanted to test them all out, have dh watch me. Since I was already using the app, I knew what the classes were like. Dh watched to see how the different spin bikes handled beneath my weight. He also knows how I can wear out exercise equipment. (I DESTROYED 2 treadmills. . .really destroyed). I wanted to save my road bike (I used that on the trainer with a heart rate monitor with the app.)

Yes ... the app is only $12.99 (reduced - for now) and I was paying $19.99. There are sooooooooooooo many classes. NOT JUST spin bike. They have meditation, yoga, weight, treadmill, spin, cardio, kickboxing, outdoor audio. All available for the monthly fee. Yes. the monthly fee on the bike is $39.99. That's because you can have as many people on the account as you want (they may have changed that ... but that's what it was). So if you have a household of 5 people using the bike/ you each have sign ons. AND it saves all your stuff. So, then it's economical. Sadly, those who only have 1 or 2 people using the account, the app is cheaper. It is something I had to get over. I did. Gladly. Sort of. But I just don't think about it!

I was pricing out Landice treadmills last year (and got one straight from the factory, end of year clearance sale, built for me so it was 1/2 price) ... But they want $4k and up for their treadmills ... so it's all relative.

If one enjoys it (and I do) and they are willing to pay to use it (I do ...) and love cycling (I do ...) The won't go wrong with this. The community (when you find your niche) is unbelievably supportive and wonderful. I belong to several groups. I have traveled to PA to meet with one of my instructors and I adore her (think of meeting video instructors ...just star struck). Maybe it is cult like. People could/do say the same of VFers. I don't care. I TOTALLY and thoroughly enjoy it.

My Powerzone challenges are 8 weeks long, 5 rides plus an extra credit ride per week. So that's 6 rides (minimum) per week. I often double up and do extra for fun rides. I've done a Pelofondo (which was 121 miles on the Peloton). Yep ... Call me crazy. Told ya I drank the Kool aid.

And high 5s during the workout? I know it sounds tacky, but sometimes, when I'm near death? Those high 5s are the things that get me through. And to the finish line. I have laughed on the bike, I have cried (yes! seriously) ... I have improved. I've had good days and bad days, but I am on my 49th week streak of using it ... so I can't complain.

As for the commercial? I don't get it - maybe cuz I am a peloton owner. I loved it. There's a truncated version and the long version. But as I am the one who rolls over at 3 a.m. and debates whether to get up and ride or if I should wait till 4 or 5 a.m. ... I get where she's coming from. I never thought it was condescending or fat shaming or anything. I thought it was all about the bike. But ... people will read into it with their own thoughts. And the blogging about it? You know how many riders do that on Instagram ??? It's just how it is .... and yeah .. i've been known to post a pic or two in my group as well (along with my graphs) Cuz I"M DANG proud of it ....

So there you have it. I have one, I love it. and as a long distance cyclist, I do think it helps with training. I don't have time to get outside to ride, not the distances and time I would like to. I don't have access to a gym (That's convenient and fits into my life/budget/ time, etc.) ... and I would have to find an instructor I LIKE with a time slot I LIKE. Probably not going to happen. 30 minutes to the gym, a class, 30 minutes home. Yeah ... No. I'll get up at 3 a.m. and hop on my bike and ride for a class or 2 or 3 or 4 ... and high 5 with all my friends. or at 10 pm. or the middle of the day ... or whenever I feel like it, cuz it's just in the other room! Life is good ....

I'm babbling.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 09:47 PM  
rhbrand

I did the app on my old spin class before getting the bike.

SOOOOOOOO worth it. I love the feedback I get off the bike. Makes the rides go by faster. And I'm with you Cleda the high fives sometimes push me through
Old 12-06-19, 01:29 AM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Talking More Peloton Fun

https://twitter.com/clueheywood/stat...99762331217920
Old 12-06-19, 06:59 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Just a couple of more things

The challenges I participate in also offer 3 and 4 ride options. With teams or solo. so there's something for everyone who wants to do them. With a set schedule, I am more apt to get out of bed and participate. Then they have facebook groups so everyone gets to know their group. And encourage them, share graphs, show off, be tired, be afraid of rides (yep! so the commercial is right in that respect too.) Saturday (and every day) they have live rides - many of my Pelo-friends are on them. It's a virtual party. I set up times ahead of time to ride with friends. Meet them on the rides.

I also meant to mention that with many of the (higher) end spin bikes - the price was about the same of the Peloton. $1500- $3000 and up . And I know some people who have done DIY set ups that are simliar to the Peloton. But if I'm going to spend close to $2k for a DIY, I might as well go the extra little bit and have the real thing. (Just my opinion).

I guess I'm rather passionate about the Peloton.

The footprint for the Peloton is quite sleek as well, if floor space is an issue. There is also a "just ride" option, so I can actually do my Spinervals on the tv and get the metrics on the Peloton and record them in MPaceline for graphs, comparison etc. Best of both worlds. I have always loved and trained with my Spinervals, but never knew where or what my cadence was. I usually just guessed and did heart rate training.

They have monthly challenges where I receive badges (think FitBit and their little badges) and I LOVE getting them. Call me a kid at heart. I do a monthly mileage one and then they have special ones. (like Turkey Burn, Pride week, can't think of the others right now). I get badges for best output if I beat an old record. I get them for working "xx" days in a row. Or with friends. Sometimes on live rides, when one reaches a milestone - they get a "shout out" from the instructor. Sounds hokey - but it means a lot. I guess I'm happy because I'm only competing with me. They have Theme rides (I love the sing along rides - anyone who has ever ridden with me in real life would understand that! hahahahahahha!) I've done Billy Joel Ride, Cold Play ride, Christmas rides, the Pink Ride (and she even posted about on her instagram! ). The list goes on and on and on.

I saved and saved and saved for it. (Months) Then I dragged dh around one weekend to every sports equipment showroom to check out bikes. Watch me ride them, feel them, talk to salespeople, etc, etc. then ended up last at Peloton showroom.... and when I went into the showroom with my wad of cash ... I found out they are a CASHLESS store. My money was NO GOOD in there. Imagine that.

Anyway .... I could go on forever. (surprise surprise).

My check in group gets to hear me talk about my challenges constantly. I am either catching up, getting ahead, wishing I was done, waiting for the next one to start. . . So Sherry was right. (Waves frantically at Sherry!!!)

And I must admit, my dh is thrilled with it, as he worries when I hit the road on the road bike (I ride alone) because I'm out for hours and hours and miles and miles. It's gotten increasingly scarier riding outdoors on the road with all the distracted driving. He has a valid point. So I just don't really get out too much. Maybe this spring/summer I'll do a few organized centuries. Which I feel I won't have any problems riding, as I'm going on week 49 straight of riding my Peloton. I was going to say ask me in a year if I still love it - but I'm just about there. I think you all know the answer. . . lol.

That's it (for real).
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 07:09 AM  
sherry7899

Cleda, I am so glad you came in here to post. I knew you would provide a ton of useful information I am happy that you love the bike so much. It is perfect for you. I do love that they have music themed rides since I am such a music geek, and I know music is motivating for you also. (BTW, there is a presale for Billy Joel at MSG again ) Since the app now works on my kindle, I am going to try it. You should be in a commercial for Peloton. I mean that in the most sincere way. It is definitely the perfect fit for your love of cycling, group membership and stats and music, and keeps you so motivated.

When we go back to my hometown (Cleda grew up near where I did-lived on the same road as my best friend from high school-small world! ) and remember you mentioned riding around there, I agree with your DH. The traffic is SO much worse now, even on all the supposed back roads. They aren't really back roads anymore-there is so much more traffic on them now!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:08 AM  
alisoncooks

DH and I were just discussing the Peloton hoopla last night. I'd seen the commercial and I probably rolled my eyes or something, but I hadn't realized that so many were taking offense to it. I'll never own one because 1) I don't spin and 2) I don't have that sort of disposable income. I remember joking to DH that "of course, all that woman's DH got the following Christmas was a slideshow about her fitness journey...because they're still paying for the Peloton."
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:15 AM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
"of course, all that woman's DH got the following Christmas was a slideshow about her fitness journey...because they're still paying for the Peloton."
LOL!!!
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:26 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
All I don't get is the leaderboard and I don't need that to keep me motivated. I know what I can do and enjoy it.
This is why I stopped going to live spin classes at my gym because they now have those leaderboard screens and there is no way to disconnect my bike from showing up. It doesn't motivate me AT ALL. I'm happy that it is there to motivate some people, but each bike should be able to opt in or out of that.
Old 12-06-19, 09:31 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
I Have the Peloton Bike and absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Worth every penny. I have probably already gotten my money's worth out of it. I still do other exercise. I participate in the Power Zone Challenges (so it's perfect for me). More on the lines of Spinervals or endurance training. I used the app for awhile, but I love the metrics ON screen for me. I like seeing measurable changes in my fitness. I like seeing when I'm in the right zone and what I have to reach for. I'm a numbers person, so the on screen metrics are my friend!! I know people who pay much, much more for their road bikes. Is it overpriced? Maybe, but I went spin bike shopping before I bought the Peloton. I'm a Clydesdale, I wanted to test them all out, have dh watch me. Since I was already using the app, I knew what the classes were like. Dh watched to see how the different spin bikes handled beneath my weight. He also knows how I can wear out exercise equipment. (I DESTROYED 2 treadmills. . .really destroyed). I wanted to save my road bike (I used that on the trainer with a heart rate monitor with the app.)

Yes ... the app is only $12.99 (reduced - for now) and I was paying $19.99. There are sooooooooooooo many classes. NOT JUST spin bike. They have meditation, yoga, weight, treadmill, spin, cardio, kickboxing, outdoor audio. All available for the monthly fee. Yes. the monthly fee on the bike is $39.99. That's because you can have as many people on the account as you want (they may have changed that ... but that's what it was). So if you have a household of 5 people using the bike/ you each have sign ons. AND it saves all your stuff. So, then it's economical. Sadly, those who only have 1 or 2 people using the account, the app is cheaper. It is something I had to get over. I did. Gladly. Sort of. But I just don't think about it!

I was pricing out Landice treadmills last year (and got one straight from the factory, end of year clearance sale, built for me so it was 1/2 price) ... But they want $4k and up for their treadmills ... so it's all relative.

If one enjoys it (and I do) and they are willing to pay to use it (I do ...) and love cycling (I do ...) The won't go wrong with this. The community (when you find your niche) is unbelievably supportive and wonderful. I belong to several groups. I have traveled to PA to meet with one of my instructors and I adore her (think of meeting video instructors ...just star struck). Maybe it is cult like. People could/do say the same of VFers. I don't care. I TOTALLY and thoroughly enjoy it.

My Powerzone challenges are 8 weeks long, 5 rides plus an extra credit ride per week. So that's 6 rides (minimum) per week. I often double up and do extra for fun rides. I've done a Pelofondo (which was 121 miles on the Peloton). Yep ... Call me crazy. Told ya I drank the Kool aid.

And high 5s during the workout? I know it sounds tacky, but sometimes, when I'm near death? Those high 5s are the things that get me through. And to the finish line. I have laughed on the bike, I have cried (yes! seriously) ... I have improved. I've had good days and bad days, but I am on my 49th week streak of using it ... so I can't complain.

As for the commercial? I don't get it - maybe cuz I am a peloton owner. I loved it. There's a truncated version and the long version. But as I am the one who rolls over at 3 a.m. and debates whether to get up and ride or if I should wait till 4 or 5 a.m. ... I get where she's coming from. I never thought it was condescending or fat shaming or anything. I thought it was all about the bike. But ... people will read into it with their own thoughts. And the blogging about it? You know how many riders do that on Instagram ??? It's just how it is .... and yeah .. i've been known to post a pic or two in my group as well (along with my graphs) Cuz I"M DANG proud of it ....

So there you have it. I have one, I love it. and as a long distance cyclist, I do think it helps with training. I don't have time to get outside to ride, not the distances and time I would like to. I don't have access to a gym (That's convenient and fits into my life/budget/ time, etc.) ... and I would have to find an instructor I LIKE with a time slot I LIKE. Probably not going to happen. 30 minutes to the gym, a class, 30 minutes home. Yeah ... No. I'll get up at 3 a.m. and hop on my bike and ride for a class or 2 or 3 or 4 ... and high 5 with all my friends. or at 10 pm. or the middle of the day ... or whenever I feel like it, cuz it's just in the other room! Life is good ....

I'm babbling.
Cleda
Cleda—Peloton should have put you in their commercial. Your testimonial is much more motivating.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:38 AM  
laurawd

Just want to reiterate that there are OTHER bikes out there, such as the ICG, that give you the same information you need - including a really well-done FTP test, plus the coach-by-color zones, which I like. I like having ICG bike because I can do ANY coach's spin class on it. ... I have no connection to the company.

I like the Peloton App but I am completely turned off by cult-like fitness trends, whether it be Peloton, Crossfit, Beachbody or whatever. I get turned off by herds, so I try to tune it all out...
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peloton, peloton commercial, peloton girl, spin bike, spin bikes