Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-20, 05:08 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

x

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 06:47 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I understand being concerned about the shot. There are always risks in any vaccine, and this one is no exception. It's always best to research and consult with one's personal medical professional to determine if any vaccine is appropriate, as it sometimes isn't recommended. However, links to an attorney's office who is profiting from these lawsuits isn't really the best source of unbiased information and shouldn't factor in the decision, IMHO.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 07:39 PM  
Carol K

Totally agree, cataddict. Everyone should consult their doctor and if they don't trust their doctor, they should get one they do trust. I had the old vaccine and my doctor says the new one is worth getting. But first they didn't have it and the last time I was in, they said they did have it, but they had to make sure my insurance would approve it. So I'll ask again the next time I'm in. My husband has had both doses and he had only mild soreness with both. He even got the measles vaccine at the same time as the second dose.
Old 01-23-20, 09:01 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

x

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 10:00 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
There are so many sites referring to problems with that shot.

Yep, research and take advice from who you trust.
Jackie, I understand that you don't believe in vaccines. That's your choice but that doesn't mean that it's fine for everyone and that every vaccine is dangerous because the manufacturer is being sued. I thought this thread was intended to share experiences with this particular vaccine, not to promote an anti-vaccine philosophy. JMO.
Old 01-24-20, 06:06 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Jackie, I understand that you don't believe in vaccines. That's your choice but that doesn't mean that it's fine for everyone and that every vaccine is dangerous because the manufacturer is being sued. I thought this thread was intended to share experiences with this particular vaccine, not to promote an anti-vaccine philosophy. JMO.
Jackie has always been a kind and thoughtful member of this community. I think she is just concerned about our health and wants people to know about possible risks so they can make informed decisions about whether or not to get the vaccine.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 12:36 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Jackie has always been a kind and thoughtful member of this community. I think she is just concerned about our health and wants people to know about possible risks so they can make informed decisions about whether or not to get the vaccine.

Erica
I agree. I don't intend to disparage Jackie, but only to encourage people to look beyond lawsuits that can rely on fear mongering and more into researching on legitimate sites and reliance on trusted medical providers. Jackie, I apologize if I've offended you. I know you mean well for the community.
Old 01-24-20, 01:01 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaux View Post
Just an update and encouragement to get the Shintrix vaccine. I had received the old Shingles shot but developed a bad case of Shingles while on a wait list for the new vaccine. The burning pain lasted 2 1/2 months. I was on pretty strong narcotics all that time, which only took the edge off. But it finally subsided and I am now pain free. I will get the Shintrix vaccine as soon as dr gives the ok. Any discomfort from the injection is worth avoiding Shingles! I understand some unlucky people have lingering pain the rest of their lives.
Margaux, thanks for the update!

I see that Jackie has deleted her posts, so I can't comment on them.

I have been incredibly impressed at the respectful tone of this whole thread. We have to do research and follow our instincts.

Fear-mongering is such a huge part of our culture, especially since 9/11. When it comes to health decisions, it seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

A friend of mine got shingles on his face. That can lead to blindness as well as permanent facial nerve damage. Tony Horton had a similar case. Luckily, my friend got it taken care of in time. The potential "loss of vision" aspect scares the crap out of me.

A friend of my cousin got genital shingles. Yup, you can get it there.

DH and I love to listen to history audiobooks. We've listened to a few about medical breakthroughs that have changed the world. One in particular, More Deadly Than War: The Hidden History of the Spanish Flu and the First World War, by Kenneth C. Davis was very interesting. More people were killed by the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic than were killed in WWI. Whole families, villages and military units were wiped out by the flu. When a vaccine was developed, folks felt like it was a miracle. Just get a shot and not die! This book and others have given us a new respect for medical pioneers who risk their own lives to save others. Granted, some medical "miracles" were/are the worst kind of charlatanism. That's where healthy skepticism and research come in.

I support folks' rights to disagree. I don't support them telling me what to do or not do.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 01:41 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

VF'er - OMG - that sounds so horrible. I'll be keeping my appointment next week.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 06:23 PM  
anetta

If you have access to PBS they have an American Experience titled Influenza 1918-scary how many people died and how fast they died.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax