Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 05-10-02, 12:22 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Like almost everyone else has said, if I don't do it in the morning, I won't do it. I get up at 430 every M - F, and start working out by 440, finishing at around 545. I am in bed between 9-930 every night, except for Wed, where I can't get in bed until 11. Thursday mornings are rough, so I save the simpler choreographic cardio for Thursdays.

If I go to the trouble of putting out the step, dumbbells, shoes, gloves, ankle weights, barbells, etc. the night before, I can't stand to see it in the morning if I don't use it! I also make it NOT AN OPTION to change my mind in the morning. I sometimes decide before I go to bed that I won't get up to workout in the morning if it is very late, or if something has changed the schedule, but once that alarm is set at 430, it is going to get me up.

I also plan out my rotations in advance by several weeks, so if I mess up the plan, I have to rethink the entire thing. I'd rather just stick with the rotations as planned.

Good luck. The sunrise alarm clock sounds like something I might try next winter.

Sandi M
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 12:24 PM  
FeliciaRen
VF Supporter

Smile

I'm not a morning person, but I do feel better when I work out in the morning. I eat after I work out, but I do drink a glass of water and have a cup of coffee before I get started. Evening workouts don't work well for me - most nights I don't get home before 7, and I try to eat dinner before 8.

My alarm is set for 5:30am, but most mornings my cat gets to me before the alarm goes off. He's not quite Godzilla - I always leave dry food out for him - he just likes the company in the morning!

Felicia
FeliciaRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 12:59 PM  
Daphne M

I just can't NOT get up (love the double negative)

I usually work out at 5 a.m. And there are days that I've gotten up as early as 4:30 to get in a good workout. I've been a consistent morning exerciser for about 10 years, a consistent exerciser for more than 20 years.

Of course, I feel great when I'm done, BUT that is NOT what gets me up. I'm as sleepy as anyone when that alarm goes off, sometimes even sleepier, depending on the quality of rest of the night before. (2 kids, 2 dogs, snoring husband, emotional au pair, need I say more.) It's the thought of how crummy I feel when I don't do it. As soon as my sleepy mind remembers how grumpy and "off" I am on the days that I skip a planned workout -- suddenly my body is moving without me ever even making the decision.

Sometimes the stick is mightier than the carrot.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 02:45 PM  
getyourfreakon

Exclamation I have to use the, ahem, facilities

I drink a lot of water all day and then I have to go pee in the early morning. That gets me out of bed and then I have my gym clothes right by the bathroom. At that point I start thinking of all the great reason that many of you have mentioned for why I should exercise right then. Not very glamorous, but it works for me!

Some of the tips here are great. I'll definitely add them because I can always use more reasons to get out of bed! Especially if SO is there
getyourfreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 03:00 PM  
shannonb

Quote:
Maybe you were dehydrated? I drink at least 8 oz of water before I workout in the morning.
I don't think it is that. I usually get in all of my water during the day, and also drink small sips during my workout. I can't drink a big glass beforehand because all of the sloshing around in my stomach makes me sick.
shannonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 04:05 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

I just do it

and I've been doing the morning thing since May 1987 (hey! I think my 15 yr AM anniversary was this week!)
I was never a morning person but I decided to become an AM exerciser, too much going on after work and also belonging to a hotel health club meant it was crowded after work. So I just decided I would do it and I did, and I'm still doing it, and in all this time I've never missed a scheduled workout. I'm usually up before the alarm (which is set for 4:47 am)....about 1/2 the time one of my cats gets me up and the other 1/2 I just wake up.
I love my mornings now, but believe me I hated it in the beginning, not the working out part, but the getting up part. I then realized that no matter what time I get up I am always miserable for the first minute or two, this is at 4:47 or 8:47! Once I get beyond that, I am fine.
I also visualized myself working out in the morning, getting up, getting ready, doing it. Worked for me.
Good luck!
Barbara P
Barbara P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 04:14 PM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

I set my automatic coffeepot . . .

And it gets me up -- it's the aroma and the sound of that last belching gurgle!

I am addicted to exercise videos, but I am even more addicted to coffee!

ALWAYS have a Plan B.
Old 05-10-02, 06:44 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

This may seem obvious

I'm a long time morning exerciser. but it has always been a battle. After years of struggling, I recently realized that a big part of the battle is just simply keeping my eyes open. Forget about shutting the eyes and drifting back for a few minutes or even seconds. Just forcing myself to keep my eyes open while I contemplate what I want to do/am going to do has really made a difference for me.

It's a little thing, but it has somehow helped me.
Old 05-10-02, 08:23 PM  
Celia M

Glad to see I'm not alone!

I do my workouts at 5 am on weekdays, also because if I don't do it early, I won't do it.

Aside from the other suggestions, what also helps for me is to have a couple of different tape choices picked out and set on the VCR.

That gives me an option if I absolutely can't drag myself out of bed until after the snooze alarm goes off, so I still have time to do a workout. Like this morning - I set out Mindy's Pump Party, Cathe's Leaner Legs, and Cory's GHAS. Guess which one won? (Hint: which is the shortest tape?)

By the way, Barb and Tammi, count me as another Law & Order junkie. Not just the Wednesday night, but also CI and SVU (aka "heinous"!)
Old 05-10-02, 08:41 PM  
lovemygirls
VF Supporter

Cool Another flylady/flybaby!! Oh my...

Lynne, me too!!
Quote:
I've always been a major procrastinator, and my attitude in that respect has changed overall, not just where workouts are concerned. That's probably due largely to flylady.net.
I'm still taking baby-steps, but it work with your exercise routines too!!

As waterbug62 mentioned - - the alarm goes off, I'm not going to get back to a good sleep, so what's the point in lying there and blowing off a perfectly good workout!!

And visiting here has been an even greater inspiration.

Kerri

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flylady, morning exercise, motivation, workout time of day