Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-18, 10:59 AM  
Sara1000

Leslie Upper Body in Walks

I love the Leslie walks that use various upper gimmicks - these make the workouts more fun and interesting, less monotonous. But are they just to up the intensity of the workouts or do they really do much to 'tone' arms, chest and back?

Also, does anyone JUST do these workouts and no other strength work for upper body? If so, do you think it's enough?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 11:36 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I'm very much into low weight/high rep toning - Margaret Richard, Jessica Smith, barre, etc. I've used Leslie's upper body walks when I had a trial subscription to Daily Walk. I like them for a gentle day & the band ones are good for traveling, but they wouldn't enough for me on their own. But that's just me, others may feel differently.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 12:28 PM  
Bebop

I use the upper body toning in the Leslie walks for light toning.

My weight training has changed because of shoulder issues; I now only can do light weight high rep work. Band work is perfect for me. The workouts in Leslie walks are just enough to keep upper body strength but not build.

They are also great for beginners. If you are advanced, I suppose you can use them as variety and not count them as a weight workout. I love Leslie workouts.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 04:00 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I think you can certainly do Leslie walks while holding 3-5# weights, doing your own arm movements, and get a good workout. But following Leslie's instructions are not enough imo.

OTOH I really like Leslie's Tone Every Zone Walk. The upper body is pretty darn good, though it's regular circuit training with breaks where you stop walking and use 5-8# weights.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 09:16 AM  
Demeris

I'm a huge Leslie fan, but I find her upper body work (with the exception of her Tone Every Walk intervals), regardless of the gadget she uses, little more than a gentle stretch rather than an upper body workout. Her upper body work does, however, intensify the workout.

When she does upper body moves without a gadget, I use T-Tapp form and muscle activation to work my arms and shoulders. That means I can move my arms as quickly as Leslie, does, but that's OK with me.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 09:27 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post

OTOH I really like Leslie's Tone Every Zone Walk. The upper body is pretty darn good, though it's regular circuit training with breaks where you stop walking and use 5-8# weights.
+2 I always end up feeling my UB the next day from that particular DVD! It's my go-to Leslie if I want to include some ST.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 05:52 PM  
Sara1000

I'm just so burned out on strength training now that I've given up on ever having a body like Cathe

I've been doing a lot of Leslie as my hip has flared up again and for some reason that doesn't bother me like walking outside (even though the weather's been perfect). I think because walking in place doesn't involve striding forth.

I really enjoy the Leslie walks with upper body gadgets but I realise I'm kidding myself that that is enough. I'm sure I would lose strength. Just wishful thinking I guess
Old 04-03-18, 08:05 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I'm just so burned out on strength training now that I've given up on ever having a body like Cathe

I've been doing a lot of Leslie as my hip has flared up again and for some reason that doesn't bother me like walking outside (even though the weather's been perfect). I think because walking in place doesn't involve striding forth.

I really enjoy the Leslie walks with upper body gadgets but I realise I'm kidding myself that that is enough. I'm sure I would lose strength. Just wishful thinking I guess
Maybe you could add in some push ups, tricep dips, and pull ups at the end of a walk. Just of few of each to keep your strength.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-18, 11:30 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Maybe you could add in some push ups, tricep dips, and pull ups at the end of a walk. Just of few of each to keep your strength.
Thanks, Demeris, and everyone who commented on this thread. I have found a solution, at least for now - I've rediscovered the X-Train Upper Body workouts (2 DVDs) which are in 'rounds'. I'm adding on a couple of rounds of one of the DVDs after I do Leslie, with a core day in between - right now I'm using the core work from Sadie Lincoln's Total Body Lift, which I think is the best, and least 'dreadful' core workout ever. I think this is her first DVD
Old 04-03-18, 04:12 PM  
bfit

There's one Leslie Sansone workout that I think has good upper body benefit. It's her Burn Body Fat one that has three workouts (1 mile, 2 mile, and 3 mile). She uses light hand weights and upper body toning moves for most of each mile. I use 3 pound weights for this one. If you slowed the moves down a bit you could use 5 pounds.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie toning weights