Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-19, 08:04 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I’d recommend reading The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. It very clearly describes how insulin works in the body and how different foods affect the release of insulin and the functioning of the pancreas - and how to reverse the bad effects of certain foods and how to get your pancreas functioning properly again through nutrition. There are different schools of thought on this, just like there are different thoughts on a healthy diet. Different nutritionists have different opinions on this. The book will give you a basis of information so you’re educated going in.

My hubby reduced his a1C from 11 to 6 in about a year by cutting way back on sugar, alcohol and starchy carbs/grains, which is basically what the book recommends. Good luck.
This book is on my “to read” list.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 09:59 AM  
gladgirl

Dr. Fung's Diabetes Code is $2.99 Kindle right now.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 10:08 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Thank you! I guess it’s now on my being read list.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 11:29 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Very timely. My DH has diabetes. He's gone through diabetes counselling when he was first diagnosed couple of years ago, but of course he knows better than the nutritionist. I just placed this book on hold at the library and hopefully he'll be motivated to read it since one of his siblings was just put on kidney dialysis because of the life-long poor control of diabetes. Thank you for this post and all the helpful comments.
Old 07-16-19, 12:14 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
On my to read list!

It drives me crazy what the dieticians and nutritionists recommend. There is so much research regarding sugar and grains and they continue to allow things like angelfood cake, Ensure, sugar free products, and bread.

There is so much out there...readily available....information galore. Research and be your own health care advocate. The cynical part of me knows the healthcare systems don't have your best interests in mind.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 02:30 PM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Very timely. My DH has diabetes. He's gone through diabetes counselling when he was first diagnosed couple of years ago, but of course he knows better than the nutritionist. I just placed this book on hold at the library and hopefully he'll be motivated to read it since one of his siblings was just put on kidney dialysis because of the life-long poor control of diabetes. Thank you for this post and all the helpful comments.
Glad this is helpful to you also.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-19, 08:13 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thank you, I just ordered this.
I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last year. Spent the next 3 months cleaning up my diet, walking more, sleeping more and I reversed it. Sometimes my eating's not the best though, especially during the school year (preschool) when my classroom is filled with all kinds of terrible but tempting carby snacks.

I am playing with intermittent fasting right now, or at least the idea of it.

Good luck Rhonda, you can take care of this!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-19, 05:31 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I’d recommend reading The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung.
I haven't read this book, but I've watched/listened to many videos of his on Youtube. He's easy to understand and what he says makes a lot of sense.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-19, 10:33 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

FYI, both of these books are free on Hoopla...which is a free e-book and audio book app from your library (most libraries offer this).

It's not on Libby/Overdrive (another free e-book/audiobook app most libraries offer).
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-19, 02:29 PM  
Harivelo

IDMprogram.com

Dr. Fung has also has a website called IDMprogram.com
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pre-diabetes