Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-17, 09:35 AM  
bubbles76

KCM 30 MTF Meltdown

I've heard a lot about Body Design, but not as much about Meltdown. Any reviews? Thoughts? Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 12:31 PM  
Shelbygirl

I've done the boxing workout once. I don't have a heavy bag, and you don't technically need one, but I have to admit I found the workout a little dull (probably due to the lack of the bag). I am a HUGE fan of Kelly's boxing workouts, but this one felt kind of repetitive to me. I imagine it's hard to get too creative when a bag is incorporated into every move. Don't get me wrong, I do plan on doing it again, but it just doesn't have the fun-factor (for me anyway) that Kelly's other boxing DVDs have.

I haven't tried the weight portion yet, so I can't comment on that.

Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 01:10 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks Shelbygirl! Please let me know when you try the weights. I don't have a heavy bag either, but I want one.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-02-17, 03:20 PM  
DrSteph

I really like this DVD. I don't have a heavy bag either, and agree that the boxing workout is very solid but not as much fun as her other boxing workouts. I think I would like it better with a bag but since I live in a small 1-bedroom apartment that is not going to happen.

I enjoy the weight workout. She uses both dumbbells and a barbell. I don't have a barbell and I find that subbing dumbbells works well.

However, I generally only use the premixes on the DVD. My favorite premix is the Dumbbell Meltdown premix (43 min including warm-up and cool-down). You do 3 sets of the dumbbell moves separated by boxing. I like this because it eliminates the barbell moves (even though dumbbells work here they are not my favorite moves in the workout) and because alternating the weights with boxing makes the boxing feel much more intense than just doing the boxing workout straight through (although with a heavy bag the intensity is probably amped up). I am a sweaty mess when this is done and feel that I have gotten a really good workout.

I would recommend this DVD, unless you are looking for pure strength. The weight segments move too fast to go heavy and are more for a cardio effect. I use a pair of 10-lb dumbbells and find that works well for me (I consider myself to be a solid intermediate who is moving toward a high-intermediate level).

Hope that helps! Let us know if you try the workout and what you think of it.

Steph
DrSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 07:49 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks Dr. Steph!
Old 03-02-17, 09:55 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I the boxing workout. I do have a bag but it's not in my current workout room, so I just wear gloves (unweighted - use them to focus... you'd be amazed how much harder you punch even wearing just fitness gloves). Bonus is it is 29 minutes long so I'm in and out with nothing special. I think it's fun to see Sam jog on her tiptoes to the other side of her imaginary bag on one of the changeovers. I give it all I've got. I'm hoping to rearrange my workout room area soon so I can get my bag out.

I have done the meltdown workout as is and as just barbell, dumbbell and the boxing/weights premix so far. I really enjoy it. The weight work is kind of a metabolic weight training session.

If you like the weights/boxing premix on Cardio Pump or on Lean Body Circuits, you'll like the weights/boxing premixes on Meltdown... similar effects but different weighted exercises (reps, weight, etc.).

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 09:56 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

If you like the boxing only premix from Trim Down, you'll like the tabata boxing.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 07:21 AM  
Rhonda

I have a bag and really like the boxing workout. I haven't done it in a while but I do enjoy it. I could have done without the little high intensity moves between sets so when she does those I usually just walk in place or walk around my workout area as I am staying away from high impact.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 10:52 AM  
katmom

I have to say that both of the workouts from Meltdown are great. The weight workout is a favorite of mine. I enjoy the variety of moves for this one and I almost get a cardio effect from the barbell portion.
Old 03-04-17, 02:19 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Premix "Meltdown Mixup" is my all-time fave

I am obsessed with her "Meltdown Mixup" premix. It is so empowering. For some reason I work a lot harder watching Kelly & the crew use heavy bags. I focus on a point on the wall (or furniture) at the same level and find I am just crushing the intensity.

The boxing seems to flow nicely - It alternates 2 combos of heavy boxing, 1 set of dumbbell toning, 2 more boxing combos & 1 set of barbell toning and finally 2 more boxing combos.

I work up a great sweat on this one and feel like a warrior when I'm done! How many 30+ min workouts can you say that about?

Tags
30 mtf meltdown, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, meltdown